PDA

View Full Version : Rack and pinion?

thilton59
10-11-2005, 11:43 PM
I've heard tales of a BMW motorsports conversion from "power assist" to full good old fashion rack and pinion. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about it and whether or not it's OEM. I haven't seen much about it, but saw mention of it in the latest edition of "Bimmer". (For an E36 M3 of course...)

SoloII///M
10-12-2005, 07:11 AM
I've heard tales of a BMW motorsports conversion from "power assist" to full good old fashion rack and pinion. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about it and whether or not it's OEM. I haven't seen much about it, but saw mention of it in the latest edition of "Bimmer". (For an E36 M3 of course...)

Your car already has a rack and pinion. It just happens to have power assist as well. FWIW a few club racers on bf.c have removed the power steering pump, drained the fluid, and found that the steering effort is just too high, even for racing.

thilton59
10-12-2005, 10:11 PM
I am aware that I have rack and pinion already, and am also aware of the effort it takes to steer with the pump deactivated. I am asking about a system which is rack and pinion that does not require power assist, (ie; and old car...914, 911 etc..._)

Pinecone
10-13-2005, 06:23 PM
914 is mid engine, 911 is rear engine, much less weight on the front wheels.

Plus we are running MUCH wider and stickier tires than the old days of no power steering.

Also the way to run no power steering, with lighter effort is to change the ratio and make the car 4+ turns lock to lock adn slow the steering.

What do you have against power steering?