PDA

View Full Version : Good ol' GM wants the Fed to REQUIRE DRL's. (Great).

hts
12-21-2001, 07:43 AM
Who the heck do they think they are? I think the MB spokesman says it best (to summarize): We polled our customers and they told us that they'll turn them on if they want them on.

Do we really need big brother telling us we have to have DRL's?

POLL: How many of you drive with lights (lows, highs, fogs, etc.) on during daylight hours?

Me: NO.

ACS-B
12-21-2001, 07:48 AM
I roll with the parking lights and foggies on...

doubletee
12-21-2001, 07:59 AM
I'm intelligent enough to know when lights are needed. Don't need no stinkin' guvment to think for me!:mad:

Clem
12-21-2001, 08:07 AM
YOU may be smart enough, but a whole lot of other aren't. Personally I hate DRLs too, but in Canada we've been forced to have them for quite a few years now. I'm just glad my province got rid of the law requiring a front lisence plate.

Mystikal
12-21-2001, 08:08 AM
Yeah, to elaborate on what JP said, Canada has had DRL standard since 1993 I think. Seriously, I find it a very useful feature, making my visibility of other cars much improved when driving in the day, and also in fog and such when many drivers forget about their lights.

LilEccentricJ
12-21-2001, 08:39 AM
I use DRL because that is how the car came. Yea, yea, I know, I can have it reprogrammed but I'm really lazy bout going to the dealer for anything.

Got a question though, most of you know bout my wreck and if you can picture me 250' past a bridge, down an embankment (about 8-10' lower than the road surface) in the dark on a rainy night in Florida. OK, I turned the car off but it started to get muggy in a hurry so I cracked a window and the thing fills with mosquitoes so I turn the key on enough to get the blower to work and put it on high to clear out the flying critters, dunno if it sucks them up or scares them away but it does work. BUT, now my DRLs are on and I am causing a scene for passers by who are slowing to check the scene out. (Remember, It was 1.5 hours before the police responded) so I turn everything off so not to cause another wreck but them I'm thinking, If this happened to me than it could to others and so I was thinking, If my DRLs weren't activated I could leave the key on and if someone came crashing at me at least the side airbags would work. Well, there's my question, will the airbags work if the key is on but the engine is off? I mean, the electrical system is working then right? I think too much?
:confused:

ff
12-21-2001, 08:41 AM
I saw that story this morning. What a fresh, steaming pile that is! I liked it when the driver was allowed to control his/her car, rather than the other way around. Isn't it time we stopped taking steps to protect people from themselves? Where will it all end? Pretty soon we'll need a robot to feed and bathe us each morning because we'd hate for someone to hurt themselves. Damn...let's get back to designing "cars", rather than useless "safety" systems.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

P.S> GM, go away! You must have better things to do, like trying to design cars that are (dare I say it) remotely attractive?

Mr. The Edge
12-21-2001, 08:46 AM
I think there's a difference, though, between requiring DRL's and all cars coming with automatic headlights. The DRL's (I have them activated on my car) are intended to give OTHER cars better visibility of YOUR car. I think they are a good idea. DRL's are very low intensity, they just let other people see your car better.

What I WOULD be against is requiring cars to have light-sensing headlights that come on automatically depending on lighting conditions. I'm sure in 10 years they will be required though.

TD
12-21-2001, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by fff
P.S> GM, go away! You must have better things to do, like trying to design cars that are (dare I say it) remotely attractive?

LOL!! The rumor is that they plan on hiring Bangle as he appears to be on the verge of being ousted by BMW.

At least "we" will be rid of him.

ff
12-21-2001, 09:12 AM
That would be good news. Get rid of him before he can any more damage. At least it sounds like BMW is listening?

jw
12-21-2001, 09:33 AM
I made sure my key/memory worksheet had DRL enabled. Having lived in numerous places across the country, I can tell you that they are more lifesavers then anything else.

In some states, like Colorado, you can barely find a car that doesn't have DRL.

What makes it so annoying to people anyhow? Get over it!

Alex Baumann
12-21-2001, 10:04 AM
Depends on the season. During winter time I have the lights on, but in summer no.

Alex

Emission
12-21-2001, 10:15 AM
I like the DRL's.

They have saved me countless times with the increased visibility the car has to others out there. In my 328i, with no DRL's, I was always jamming the brakes when other people would pull out in front of me. In the 330i, with the DRL's, this rarely, if ever, happens.

They may be a pain, but they do work.

I do like how BMW uses the high beam at a reduced power setting. Much better than regular low beams on all the time.

ff
12-21-2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by jw330i

What makes it so annoying to people anyhow? Get over it!

Bulbs burn out much faster for the majority of drivers. Also, I don't feel that it makes any difference in everyday driving (just an opinion). The only time I notice a car more with DRL's over one that doesn't, is at twilight when the non DRL owner neglected to turn the lights on. Seriously think about it, how many times do you casually notice that a car has its lights on during the day?

The best (and only) thing you can do to increase safety in seeing other drivers is to pay full attention to the driving task. Put the cell phone down, put your makeup on at home, and make driving the #1 priority.

Just another instance of a car maker pretending to care about safety...

ff
12-21-2001, 11:49 AM
I guess I've heard that the Xenon's last a good long time. Maybe the more frequent replacements would be a factor for people with halogens?

doubletee
12-21-2001, 11:51 AM
My whole problem is simply the principle. If we keep letting the feds "protect" us from ourselves, we'll have no liberties left. They keep slowly taking decisions away from us (remember when we had a choice about wearing a seat belt? - and don't misread me, I chose to wear one before it was a law. I believe in them just as I do helmets on motorcycles. I just don't want anyone telling me I "have" to wear one).

I'm not going to "get over it!" Sorry for the rant.:mad:

ff
12-21-2001, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by doubletee
My whole problem is simply the principle. If we keep letting the feds "protect" us from ourselves, we'll have no liberties left. They keep slowly taking decisions away from us (remember when we had a choice about wearing a seat belt? - and don't misread me, I chose to wear one before it was a law. I believe in them just as I do helmets on motorcycles. I just don't want anyone telling me I "have" to wear one).

I'm not going to "get over it!" Sorry for the rant.:mad:

And along those same lines, personally I hate cars that try to do too much thinking for me. For instance, my wife's Jeep turns the A/C on all the time, even during the winter and when it's totally not needed. Not that it's any big deal, but fuel economy and acceleration is better without the A/C on. Then I'll wear the A/C button out because I'm always having to turn it back off.

On cold mornings, my 330 turns the rear defrost on automatically on startup, regardless if it's needed. This only causes wear and tear on the defrost wiring, and wears out the defrost button on the dash because I'm always turning it back off. I want a car that let's me decide what I want and when. If the window's frosted over, I know where the button is and how to push it...

jw
12-21-2001, 12:07 PM
Ok.. so you're not actually opposed to DRLs themselves? Just the fact that the feds could require and enforce it?

I'm with ya on that!

Flee67
12-21-2001, 03:56 PM
I had my DRL programmed on because of the grayness of the skies here in the Pacific Northwest most of the time....but I liked having the choice. I think that GM's main motivation is cost savings, as they need to have DRL's for their Canadian bound cars, too....one thing, though...the GM DRL's on certain cars where they use the parking lights rather than high beams look just horrible, IMO :rolleyes:

ATL 330i
12-21-2001, 04:13 PM
on my '02. IMO, DRL's do enhance safety as a very low cost.

What gets me are the people that run with fog lights turned on at all times.....