PDA

View Full Version : e60m5 or e46m3

musclecar6
10-07-2005, 01:38 PM
I have a 2003 m5 , but tired of shifting as it's my daily driver. Going to order a new m5 or m3 tomorrow. Any opinions would be appreciated. thanks in advance.( looking forward to the smg)

hugh1850
10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
M3 today, or M5 two years from now. :dunno:

mkh
10-07-2005, 01:57 PM
You are not kidding, right? The M5 is almost double the cost of the M3. Unless you mean the future E90 M3, I'm surprised you even consider the M3 if you can afford the M5.

Pinecone
10-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Why not? They are different cars. I really have no use for any 5 series, M or not.

stephentross
10-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I really like the M3. I thought about the M5 as well, But the body style of the 06 M3 is so sweet!!!!!

mkh
10-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Why not? They are different cars. I really have no use for any 5 series, M or not.
I understand. For me, unless it's for special usage, such as a track car, if I can drop $80k to $90k for a daily car, it definitely will not be an M3. Just the exclusivity is enough to kill this option. I don't know about other states but here in CA, M3 is a dime a dozen, a lot more common than 330i, with the majority of drivers under 30 and with rich parents. Now driving an E60 M5 is in a different level (although I still can't stand the looks)!

GregW in Oregon
10-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I understand. For me, unless it's for special usage, such as a track car, if I can drop $80k to $90k for a daily car, it definitely will not be an M3. Just the exclusivity is enough to kill this option. I don't know about other states but here in CA, M3 is a dime a dozen, a lot more common than 330i, with the majority of drivers under 30 and with rich parents. Now driving an E60 M5 is in a different level (although I still can't stand the looks)!
Sounds like image is the most important thing for you. Then, yes, the M5 is more excusive. However, unless you need to fit more than 2 people often, the M3 offers near equal performance in a much tauter, more flingable package. I have no use for the extra mass of the 5-series, and for me the M3 is "just right." Just depends on one's needs and wants; not saying that image is not a criteria to be considered.

If the V10 is being compared to the I6, then ther is a considerable disparity in price. I jsut preordered an E90 M3, which will probably still be 30k less than the M5.

mkh
10-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Sounds like image is the most important thing for you. Then, yes, the M5 is more excusive. However, unless you need to fit more than 2 people often, the M3 offers near equal performance in a much tauter, more flingable package. I have no use for the extra mass of the 5-series, and for me the M3 is "just right." Just depends on one's needs and wants; not saying that image is not a criteria to be considered.

If the V10 is being compared to the I6, then ther is a considerable disparity in price. I jsut preordered an E90 M3, which will probably still be 30k less than the M5.
Well, to a certain degree, yes. Image is not the most important but nonetheless important when it is up in that price category. The higher the price, the more important the image is. For instance, would you rather have a Ford GT or a F430?

Now, back to the original subject, if I can swing $90k easily, and don't need to fit more than 2 people, it still will not be an M3. I'd go for the 997 C4S, or stretch for a GT3. If I can afford that kind of money, I definitely do not want to drive the same car as my neighbor's 20 year old kid, and that's for sure.

Pinecone
10-08-2005, 04:20 AM

:stupid:

Pinecone
10-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Well, to a certain degree, yes. Image is not the most important but nonetheless important when it is up in that price category. The higher the price, the more important the image is. For instance, would you rather have a Ford GT or a F430?

Now, back to the original subject, if I can swing $90k easily, and don't need to fit more than 2 people, it still will not be an M3. I'd go for the 997 C4S, or stretch for a GT3. If I can afford that kind of money, I definitely do not want to drive the same car as my neighbor's 20 year old kid, and that's for sure.

If image is not important, it is not important. TO you it IS important, or you would not bring it up. Why not buy a Maserati or Porsche or etc. BMWs are SO pedestrian and common.

It sounds like you want to flaunt your ability to buy an expensive car. If so, go for it.

Actually I would rather have the Ford GT. If nothing else, the maintenance will be less. :)

mkh
10-08-2005, 03:47 PM
It sounds like you want to flaunt your ability to buy an expensive car. If so, go for it.
Oh no... you took it the wrong way. I WISH I can flaunt my ability to buy an expensive car. But in reality, I can't even afford an M3, let alone an M5. I was just putting myself in the original poster's situation and expressed my opinion (maybe I should shut up). So there is nothing to do with my own ability. Both M3 and M5 are excellent cars and I'd be more than happy to take either one. Chill out! :)

De_UnKnOwN_1
10-08-2005, 09:29 PM
It really depends, first of all, you will get almost the same power out of them, BMW NA rates the M5 at 4.5 seconds to 60 and the M3 at 4.8 or such.

Besides that, it depends on the styling.

If you prefer a coupe, go with the M3, but you COULD even wait for the M6 if you really have that kind of money to drop. If I were in your position, I would wait for the M6 at least.

I LOVE the style of the E46, but the truth is, its getting dated.

Before I spend that kind of money on a car now, I would wait until the M6 comes out. It is the best of both worlds, beauty and a beast.

You can get the SMG in any of the M's so donít even worry about that.

Also, if you have a spouse or kids, take that into consideration also. I think that either way, you will be happy since they are all fine cars.

One more thing, not to pry or anything. But if you have the money to go for the M5, why not look in other brands, Porsche or Mercedes, I have a soft spot for the 911 and the SL 65 AMG. I only say that because the M5 is a Brand spanking new model and there are bound to be problems.

Good luck and be sure to show some pictures once you decide!

stylinexpat
10-08-2005, 10:30 PM

Get the Carrera then, my cousin has one. An awesome car :thumbup: The 997 C4S is sweet. If you can afford it and want something different in California, then that is the car to have.

stylinexpat
10-08-2005, 10:31 PM
First year of the new M5's and M6'S will have bugs as usual, you will need to wait at least a year or two for them to get rid of the bugs .

stylinexpat
10-08-2005, 10:34 PM
If you want something different, go test drive the new CLK55 AMG, my uncle has one. Just go drive one :thumbup: You may not leave the dealership after that test-drive without the car. Be sure to get the 06 if you do :thumbup:

dawgbone
10-10-2005, 12:13 PM
If you want something different, go test drive the new CLK55 AMG, my uncle has one. Just go drive one :thumbup: You may not leave the dealership after that test-drive without the car. Be sure to get the 06 if you do :thumbup:

The CLK55 AMG is a sleeper..It has the "hey look at me" factor of a Chevy Surburban...but it's fun to see the Mustang genre's faces when you mat the throttle off the line..I loved the CLK55, but I'd take an M3 over it..I like sportier cars..and I'm young as well..so really, I don't need a mechical arm to hand me my seat belt..cool feature though..

I think that if it was a decision I had to make, I'd either turn to a porsche as mentioned above..or sit on it until the M6..

but..

If I needed four doors, I'd happily grab the keys to the hidious looking M5..

Pinecone
10-10-2005, 02:41 PM
E46 M3 is somewhat of a sleeper also. Not everyone notices the differences and the M badge. :)

jaydoc1
10-22-2005, 07:25 PM
E46 M3 is somewhat of a sleeper also. Not everyone notices the differences and the M badge. :)

People who know M notice the difference!
:thumbup:

chuck92103
10-22-2005, 07:33 PM
I have had both and M3 and a 540i, and M5 is the 540 sup'd up a little.

I have the same reluctance to manual's for daily driving. So I opted for a 645 with auto. It is awesome, and you can get SMG or manual if you wish.

To me, I would go for the middle ground and get the 6 series if money were not an issue.