PDA

View Full Version : Tech-Fest West coming to SoCal next March . . .

scottn2retro
09-02-2002, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone -

The old Gateway Tech that used to be held in St. Louis every year is now a rotating type event like Oktoberfest.

For 2003, it is being called Tech-Fest West and it is being hosted by the LA chapter of BMW CCA.

The dates are March 13 - 16 and will be at:

The Pacific Palms Conference Resort in the City of Industry.

http://www.pacificpalmsresort.com/

(that's near Azusa Ave. and the 60 Freeway between the 605 and 57 Freeways) Rooms should be about $119 per night.

It should be a huge event, with the top vendors of BMW products represented and great seminars.

The event would go something like (some of this is preliminary info and could change):

Thursday night: Registration and get together (maybe some kegs involved? :bigpimp: )

Friday: Seminars and maybe a fun night at the near by Speed Zone

Saturday: Seminars and evening banquet

Sunday: half day

More information will be available on the LA BMW CCA site:

http://www.bmwclubla.org/

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-02-2002, 06:17 PM
Can't wait! :)

Hmm...if we help, will we have the chance to attend seminars? :dunno:

scottn2retro
09-03-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Can't wait! :)

Hmm...if we help, will we have the chance to attend seminars? :dunno:

I guess it depends on what committee you work with. Some committees would be very workloaded prior to the event, while others will be doing a lot of work during the event. Even still, I would think you could be able to work out a rotation to attend some seminars. :)

scottn2retro
11-14-2002, 09:04 AM
UPDATE:

Leif Anderberg (who was just elected next year's LA chapter president) is now the chairman for the event.

He will be holding a 'formation' meeting this Friday night, Nov. 15th, at the new Avus Autosport in Glendale at 8:00 PM.

Avus Autosport (http://www.avusautosport.com/?ckid=96484106)

Leif has been a BMW CCA member (member #154 :yikes: ) probably before it was called BMW CCA and has vast experience (oktoberfests, etc.) in putting together these types of events. :thumbup:

Again the call goes out for volunteers that would like to participate in helping to make this event happen.

Edit:

For people wanting to get involved, contact Kelley Moon:

sakatamoon@earthlink.net

The HACK
11-14-2002, 09:51 AM
Thanks Scott for all the information...I'll be there on Friday night.

scottn2retro
11-14-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by The HACK
Thanks Scott for all the information...I'll be there on Friday night.

No problem. I had been wondering what was up with this event. I think Brad (the previous event chairman from EVO Sport) just has too many things going all the time to have made this event his top priority (and for an event like this, it has to be). I think Leif will throw the necessary energy and direction into it to pull it off as smoothly as possible.

Raffi
11-14-2002, 03:29 PM
I'll try to show up after Buttonwillow - as in Willow Ranch Honies, Scott! :bigpimp:

scottn2retro
11-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Friday night, honies and Raffi :yikes:

You know Raffi, after those 'extra-curricular' activities, a little volunteer work on one of the committees might do you some good. :D

(since your an attorney, I'm not even going to go into 'pro boner', I mean pro bono work :D )

Raffi
11-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by scottn2retro

(since your an attorney, I'm not even going to go into 'pro boner', I mean pro bono work :D )

I will keep the pro boner work for the Willow Ranch honies!!! :bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp: :lmao:

scottn2retro
11-18-2002, 01:48 PM
I was very encouraged by the participation at the meeting Friday night. Even Raffi made great a sacrifice to his bachelor's life by being there :D (I'm proud of you, man)

There are still some committees that could use some volunteers, so anyone wanting to help out, contact Kelley Moon (email address in an above post).

HACK has already been designing some potential logos:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15839&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

The HACK
11-18-2002, 02:24 PM
By the way, the BMW front "silhouette" featured in logo #1 and #3 is Raffi's car around the last corner at Sears Point. :thumbup:

It was a pain in the *ss trying to figure out where the headlights are with all the damn tape covering them up.

scottn2retro
11-18-2002, 03:36 PM
By the way, the BMW front "silhouette" featured in logo #1 and #3 is Raffi's car around the last corner at Sears Point. :thumbup:
It was a pain in the *ss trying to figure out where the headlights are with all the damn tape covering them up.

:lmao: That's great. Any way to make it look like it's vibrating badly from a shredded tire? :D

PS - I wouldn't have admitted it was Raffi's car. He may want royalties to finance his race car. :)

Raffi
11-18-2002, 03:39 PM

:lmao: That's great. Any way to make it look like it vibrating badly from a shredded tire? :D

PS - I wouldn't have admitted it was Raffi's car. He may want royalties to finance his race car. :)

HACK, you should have added a coat of mud from my agricultural excursion at Buttonwillow on Friday! :lmao:

BTW, where is my royalty money? :D :D

Raffi
11-18-2002, 03:40 PM

:lmao: :lmao: :bigpimp:

scottn2retro
11-20-2002, 04:12 PM
Here is the general location of the resort in the SoCal area:

scottn2retro
11-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Here's more specific directions:

Kaz
11-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Follow the landfill smell, and its right next door. :lmao:

beewang
11-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Geezes!! sure is a fancy name for a hotel in a crappy neighboorhood:p

Keep your windows up and keep your doors locked before you exit the freeway fellas:lmao:

bring your kevlars if you have any.;)

heheh

beewang:bigpimp:

scottn2retro
11-20-2002, 04:34 PM
I haven't been there yet, but I wasn't aware that it was a real bad neighborhood (and I've driven through some I won't ever again). I thought the bad areas were further West :dunno: Don't know about the landfill either. Someone said this place has 2 golf courses.

beewang
11-20-2002, 04:57 PM
Nah!! I was just kidding, but the 2 golf courses should set-off your alarm thou ;)

seeya there!:thumbup:

scottn2retro
11-20-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by beewang
Nah!! I was just kidding, but the 2 golf courses should set-off your alarm thou ;)

seeya there!:thumbup:

From what I've heard, they have a parking structure so I won't have to park within striking distance of the driving range :D

Kaz
11-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Is it by coincidence that Industry Hills is the closest resort to all the strip joints in the area? :eeps: :eeps: :lmao: :lmao:

The HACK
11-20-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
Is it by coincidence that Industry Hills is the closest resort to all the strip joints in the area? :eeps: :eeps: :lmao: :lmao:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Maybe someone can hold their bachelor's party there too.

beewang
11-20-2002, 06:12 PM

From what I've heard, they have a parking structure so I won't have to park within striking distance of the driving range :D

Aye-yayai... no man!! That is NOT what I meant.:p

look scott, I'll spell it out for you..;)

Golf Course = Old landfills
Landfills = dumpster
Dumpster = less than ideal 'hood.

get it??

Kaz
11-20-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by beewang

Aye-yayai... no man!! That is NOT what I meant.:p

look scott, I'll spell it out for you..;)

Golf Course = Old landfills
Landfills = dumpster
Dumpster = less than ideal 'hood.

get it??

Not that there's much of a 'neighborhood' up near the hotel, but its actually a pretty desirable area, the northwest end of Walnut, south end of West Covina, etc.

scottn2retro
11-20-2002, 07:08 PM
Sorry I didn't make the connection, but doesn't it take so long to be able to build over a landfill that in SoCal an area could have changed several times over? There used to be a landfill in Palos Verdes. :yikes:

Raffi
11-20-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Kaz

:D :bigpimp: :D :bigpimp: :D :bigpimp:

scottn2retro
11-21-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Raffi
:D :bigpimp: :D :bigpimp: :D :bigpimp:

I'm sorry guys for being a little slow on the uptake, but it is all starting to make sense now - Raffi and HACK on the planning committees, the location . . . :D

Again, for people that would like to work with one of the committees (and possibly go on an off-site meeting with HACK and Raffi :) ) , contact Kelley Moon at:

sakatamoon@earthlink.net

scottn2retro
11-25-2002, 04:58 PM
A bunch of us on the committees got to see the resort last Friday night. It should be a great place to hold the TechFest. :thumbup:

Inside the place has a huge area for the vendor floor, the second floor has another large room for the banquet and lots of smaller meeting rooms for the seminars. It has a huge lobby where some cars will probably be on display outside of the vendor floor. There's a sports bar, resturaunts (my wife was very tempted by the Seafood buffet with lobster).

The resort has 2 golf courses, driving range, tennis center, aquatic center and equestrian center. The parking structure will be reserved for the event.

scottn2retro
12-05-2002, 01:47 PM
on the Tech Fest relating to the proposed driving school, having BMW AG Mobile Traditions there, turning the Sat. nite banquet into an F1 party and more (courtesy of HACK):

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16901

scottn2retro
12-05-2002, 02:05 PM
This was the decided logo, correct?

The HACK
12-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Yes.