PDA

View Full Version : porter orbital: maintenance free? or not?

blackdawg
09-03-2002, 09:41 AM
hi guys.

used the PC orbital polisher this past weekend, but it's starting to make some not so smooth noises upon shutoff....is this thing a maintenance free design or does it require lube?

just curious.

(i DO NOT use it that much).

thanks for any help.

in_d_haus
09-03-2002, 09:43 AM
I was wondering about this just this weekend. I can write the guys at Griots and see if they have suggestions. I've never heard of any maint being required.

blackdawg
09-03-2002, 09:49 AM
i learned about 3 lessons this weekend:

1. german cars mostly like carnauba better than polymer-based sealants. less sterile. shine is same between products (blackfire and griots and/or p21) but the luster is better with the real wax.

(sigh)

2. machine polish #3 and wax will cover us a former owner's boneheadedness and the boys at the dealer (reckless dolts sometimes in "washing" the car) scratchmarks pretty well. amazing, actually.

3. porsche brakes should be OEM on bmws. they're gorgeous to behold and to use.

johnlew
09-03-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by blackdawg
hi guys.

used the PC orbital polisher this past weekend, but it's starting to make some not so smooth noises upon shutoff....is this thing a maintenance free design or does it require lube?

just curious.

(i DO NOT use it that much).

thanks for any help.

I'm not aware of any maintenance required.

C-Bear
09-03-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by blackdawg
According to the manual, the PC has been adequately lubed from the factory for the unit's normal operating life.

After 100 hours of use, they do recommend taking the it into an authorized service department for proper cleaning and reconditioning.

johnlew
09-03-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by C-Bear

After 100 hours of use, they do recommend taking the it into an authorized service department for proper cleaning and reconditioning.

For Haus, that'd be once a month.

rwg
09-03-2002, 01:47 PM
I use mine a lot. It's had way over 100 hours, I think. (there's the two cars in my garage, the two cars in my brother's garage, the cars of a few friends, the parent's cars . . .). I have never done anything but plug it in and turn it on. I also haven't heard any strange noises.

As for the 100 hour re-condition suggestion - the unit is made to be used as a sander. I imagine the conditions it operates in with wood dust flying everywhere are significantly harder on the mechanism than waxing is.

blackdawg
09-03-2002, 02:13 PM
just sounds "dry" upon shutting off on the last few rpm's before stopping.

what a difference it makes. we just moved and i couldn't find anything, so i did things by hand. that looked....well, it looked fine. all right.

and i started over with the PC and now it looks like liquid burgundy metal. i'm saving the blackfire stuff for the outside cars.

i keep trying to use it for the garage car because it's far easier to apply and has slightly more longevity, but it does not look nearly as nice.

blackdawg
09-03-2002, 02:14 PM
3m imperial hand glaze and/or p21 paint cleanser work really, really, really well with the porter polisher.