PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have H&R springs in an xi?

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-12-2002, 06:45 PM
I noticed that H&R seems to have them for the 325xiT and the 330xi.
Odd that there's nothing for the 325xi...
The floatiness of the suspension on my xi can be rather frightening at high speed.
The body roll is generally fine as far as I'm concerned, I don't generally corner hard enough for it to really bother me... But the way the car floats up when I hit a small bump on the highway at 75-80MPH is rather disturbing.
The next question, of course, is this: What would it take to install them myself? I'm a cheap bastard and would very much prefer not to have to pay for the install.
Nick

Clem
01-13-2002, 03:08 PM
Your best bet would be to ask on E46Fantics or DTMPower's E46 board.

E46Fanatics also has many DIYs in the How-Tos sections

Spiderm0n
01-13-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT
The floatiness of the suspension on my xi can be rather frightening at high speed. The body roll is generally fine as far as I'm concerned, I don't generally corner hard enough for it to really bother me... But the way the car floats up when I hit a small bump on the highway at 75-80MPH is rather disturbing.

Interesting. I have found that I do not notice small bumps at high speed, but I often notice body roll in the corners. I have never been frightened, but occasionaly if my wife is in the car she does tell me to slow down if she notices I am going over 80mph. :eek:

joes325xi
01-13-2002, 03:36 PM
Interesting. I have found that I do not notice small bumps at high speed, but I often notice body roll in the corners.

I get the same thing. Guess we'll have to wait till they make sways for the xi....

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-13-2002, 05:47 PM
The floating just seems reminiscent of the MB 400SE that I drove for a little while. The problem, though, is that the xi hasn't the 5500 lbs. to keep it from developing lift.
At least that's what it feels like to me.
I figure shorter springs ought to help roll, anyhow.
And... They have the distinct advantage of already existing.
Nick

Spiderm0n
01-13-2002, 06:01 PM
The floating just seems reminiscent of the MB 400SE that I drove for a little while. The problem, though, is that the xi hasn't the 5500 lbs. to keep it from developing lift.
At least that's what it feels like to me.
I figure shorter springs ought to help roll, anyhow.
And... They have the distinct advantage of already existing.
Nick

So does it feel like you are in a plane about to take off? :eek:

geomax
01-13-2002, 06:08 PM
I think dannyxi has H&R springs - ask him.

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-13-2002, 06:18 PM
Spidermon: Yes. I find this to be a very disturbing, occasionally frightening sensation.
Nick

Spiderm0n
01-13-2002, 06:48 PM
Spidermon: Yes. I find this to be a very disturbing, occasionally frightening sensation.
Nick

I am going to have to go over some bumps if I can feel the same thing... maybe its unique to the xiT's

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-13-2002, 06:51 PM
Possibly. The best effect is when you go over a bump while in a slight turn.
It may also be worsened by the combination of an open chassis AND fold down rear seats. The xiT does NOT have a particularly stiff chassis.
Nick

Dr. Phil
01-13-2002, 08:31 PM
I've been very pleased with the amount of roll when I take corner somewhat agressively. Haven't really pushed yet since still in break in period.

As far as the "floating", I notice it too at higher speeds that when I hit a bump. I might be off base but I believe part of the reason I feel the affect is from the SP tires. Low side walls in my opinion could contribute to the harsh feeling. But you are also right that the body is not as rigid on the tourings.

As I've noted before, these minor things are outweighed by the AWD/sports feel combo that you get w/ the xiT's. You always have some give and take.

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-13-2002, 08:38 PM
I've driven lots of cars with large wheels... The floatiness is NOT from the wheel size, although I do not like the Contis all that much. The best pressure seems to be 40/46... But I'm still not all that happy.
I think I need to stop driving the WRX. That sure as hell doesn't help.
Nick

Dr. Phil
01-13-2002, 08:54 PM
I was thinking that the wheels would cause a harder reaction to the bump, i.e. vertical movement of the car. Subsequently, the additional movement could amplify the floating feeling, since as you noted the body is slightly less rigid than some others.

Or I could be full of it and just get the springs and sways;)

I have Goodyear RSA's, haven't adjusted pressure yet but I may try your recommendation.

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-13-2002, 10:09 PM
That pressure seems to give the best overall feel, though I think it is at the very edge of losing traction. I do feel SLIGHTLY more grip at the stock pressure, but generally only when flying down the S curves of my favorite test road between 80 and 115MPH. Frankly, a lead foot cures the body roll. :) Enough torque distribution and the car stays very flat.
I'm going to order the springs I think. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I've really wanted to get closer to the RWD sport package, anyhow.
Hopefully it will work out nicely.
Nick

·clyde·
01-14-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
I have Goodyear RSA's, haven't adjusted pressure yet but I may try your recommendation.

I have the GYs also. I hope that you've at least checked your pressures. I checked mine a few days after delivery for the first time and they were much lower than BMW's specs. Running 37/41 at the moment. After I hit 1200 and start pushing a bit this week I'll be adjusting.

Quanius
01-14-2002, 06:41 AM
I am thinking of making the switch to the Bilsteins in the summer. I like the idea of the adjustables so when the snow accumulation rolls around you can jack it back up again fairly easily?

Anyone got any pics of a lowered xi?

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-14-2002, 06:54 AM
I like how it looks totally stock.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/suspension/susp_hr_330xi.jpg

Quanius
01-14-2002, 07:30 AM
Do you know how much that was lowered by? Looks no more than 1 or 1.5 inches?

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-14-2002, 08:19 AM
1.2" right about where the OEM sport package is.