PDA

View Full Version : The bimmer wave

in_d_haus
09-03-2002, 08:54 AM
As mentioned by "Lil" in another post, what happened to the days when Bimmer owners used to wave/ flash lights at each other? I'm guessing that due to popularity this has slowed.

Let's start it up again! Get out there and wave/ beam your fellow bimmer owners!

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-03-2002, 08:55 AM
Bimmer drivers are no longer enthusiasts, generally...
Now people get annoyed when you do it. :p

johnlew
09-03-2002, 08:58 AM
Did it all the time in college. Getting near my house, I'd just as well leave the lights on.

in_d_haus
09-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by EugieBaange

Oh wait, lights! I just saw you said "flash your lights". Oh! That's different :lmao:

Yipe, yipe, yipe!!!! :yikes: *shudder*

johnlew
09-03-2002, 09:15 AM
Yep, I read that thread, too and, since then, have flashed a couple of folks.

While you were driving? :dunno:

Chris330Ci
09-03-2002, 09:18 AM
What Nick said.

Kaz
09-03-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
As mentioned by "Lil" in another post, what happened to the days when Bimmer owners used to wave/ flash lights at each other? I'm guessing that due to popularity this has slowed.

Let's start it up again! Get out there and wave/ beam your fellow bimmer owners!

Man, I'd have to hold the high beams on around here if I were to try this!

in_d_haus
09-03-2002, 09:24 AM
Actually I get about 1 in 10 honking, flashing, waving at me around here. Seem to get more in the 525 than the other cars

AF
09-03-2002, 10:20 AM
Yep, I read that thread, too and, since then, have flashed a couple of folks. The look I get when I do that :tsk:

Oh wait, lights! I just saw you said "flash your lights". Oh! That's different :lmao:

But seriously, folks...

LOL . . . good one Eugie !!

ashecnc
09-03-2002, 12:20 PM
:D

most are old ugly men and if you wave, they don't see you anyway....and for Gods sake most don't know what is going on in front/behind them, muchless someone waving..:thumbdwn:

Jetfire
09-03-2002, 12:27 PM
Don't mean to come off as a snob, but I only wave when I see another M driver. Around here, I see nearly as many BMWs as Toyotas, and as such, the typical BMW driver around here is not an enthusiast at all.

Even among M drivers, quite a few buy the car as a status symbol. But at least they know what it is. Furthermore, among drivers of the older Ms (pre-E39 and pre-E46), the proportion of enthusiasts tends to go up as the car's age increases. I usually get a return wave every time I salute an E30 or E34 driver. Maybe about half the time with an E39/E46. With E36ers, the "high school kids" tend to scoff because I don't have all of their stickers. The others usually wave back if they notice me.

scottn2retro
09-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Most people in Ca. are suspicious if you try to get their attention . . . :( (maybe with good reason)

I did see on the 405 freeway a 1600 or early 2002 (with round tailights) CONV. in a funny green/blue color, but I had to slow down, get beside them and :thumbup:

operknockity
09-03-2002, 02:34 PM
I've passed more than a fair share of BMW's where the owner was too busy talking on a cell phone (with it held up to their ear instead of hands free) or reading a book or the newspaper, or putting on makeup. Far be it from them to actually pay any attention to the road and their driving, much less to see (and understand/appreciate the BMW salute).

To be fair, it's not just the BMW drivers doing this, but it just goes to show that there are far too many non-enthusiasts puttering around town in their "beemers".

fuz
09-03-2002, 03:24 PM
Occasionally a few of us E46s (CA bay area) on the highway just sort of find ourselves lined up in single file just for kicks. :thumbup:

The longest line I've been in had four cars. It's kinda amusing when people start staring.

dog
09-04-2002, 09:16 AM
Was driving down 83 into Baltimore City the other day - got a line of me in my 330 in front of a 525 - followed by a Z3 then a 745. Cannot help but smirk when looking at all the roundels passing all the other cars on the road. Felt like a mobile showroom.

in_d_haus
09-04-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by dog
Was driving down 83 into Baltimore City the other day - got a line of me in my 330 in front of a 525 - followed by a Z3 then a 745. Cannot help but smirk when looking at all the roundels passing all the other cars on the road. Felt like a mobile showroom.

That's pretty much status quo where I am. I've alwasy got 3 or 4 bimmers driving with me. Pretty cool I think

scottn2retro
09-04-2002, 11:05 AM

That's pretty much status quo where I am. I've alwasy got 3 or 4 bimmers driving with me. Pretty cool I think

On the SoCal freeways, I'm always surrounded by lowered Civics with 4" exhaust tips :cry:

lip277
09-04-2002, 11:17 AM
When I'm in my 2002, I flash, wave, toot the horn (as appropriate) when I see a BMW of the same period (CS, 2002, Bav and so on...). Many (most?) return the favor as they know where I'm coming from. Recognition of driving a unique car. Old 356/early 911 and Bug drivers do the same as I've seen.
For most folks that have a 'newer' BMW, it's just a nice car so to speak (present company reading this excluded). The large crowd driving the newer cars is more mainstream than the smaller crowd that bought the early BMW's of the late 60's & early 70's.

Opinion anyway...

in_d_haus
09-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by scottn2retro

On the SoCal freeways, I'm always surrounded by lowered Civics with 4" exhaust tips :cry:

Lucky you! :D

johnlew
09-04-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by scottn2retro

I saw one in a parking lot that looked like it had a megaphone attached to the exhaust.

scottn2retro
09-04-2002, 11:26 AM

Lucky you! :D

Yeah, between them and the status seekers that don't know for sure which model BMW they're driving, instead of waves all I get is :flipoff:

Must be jealous of the red top :bigpimp:

(they're telling me I'm #1 :D )

Elwood
01-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Found myself driving next a BMT truck so I had to honk and wave. Took him a second to figure it out and honked back. :D

Artslinger
01-18-2005, 08:48 PM
in_da_haus...

wag-zhp
01-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I try to wave, nod, flash the lights or a smile, but not just to other BMW drivers. I try to acknowledge any nice enthusiast type drivers, from 911s to classic hot rods and anything in between.

It is to bad that there are so many non-enthusiasts driving Beeeemers just because of the roundel. They just look at you like you're a strange creature from another galaxy, and have no idea why you might be waving to them.

Jetfire
01-19-2005, 06:58 AM
Wow...this thread is old.

my3rdbimmer
01-19-2005, 09:53 AM
:cry: i just got put in jail for flashing a mom and her three kids.. i guess i misunderstood the post and she wasn't amused.. anyone have the number to michael jackson's lawer. please send donations to the:

"Save my3rdbimmer Fund" :rofl:
Pennsylvania state correctional facillity
pittsburgh PA 15212

liuk3
01-19-2005, 11:48 AM
bikers used to do it all the time, although it is getting less common place these days. never heard of guys doing it in bmws.

BahnBaum
01-19-2005, 04:10 PM
The Jeep Wave is prolly the most universal...

Alex

Mr. The Edge
01-19-2005, 04:14 PM
The Jeep Wave is prolly the most universal...

Alex
nah

http://www.amadirectlink.com/features/Flathead/images/Wave.jpg

BahnBaum
01-19-2005, 04:47 PM
nah

http://www.amadirectlink.com/features/Flathead/images/Wave.jpg

EDIT: The Jeep Wave is prolly the most universal amongst 4 wheeled vehicles...

Alex

car_for_mom
01-20-2005, 05:01 AM
I try to park next to other Bimmer owners: (a) They're less likely to dent or scratch my car, (b) I've had a couple of nice chats with folks, and even passed on some useful information!