PDA

View Full Version : First model year problems?

brittain
10-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Im planning on trading in my G35 for the new M3 when it comes out in a couple of years, but have read several posts about numerous problems during the first model year. Are BMWs really that much worse than the other car companies? If I do get the new E90 M3 as soon as it comes out, what kind of problems should I expect? thanks for everyone's input.

Ajax
10-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Im planning on trading in my G35 for the new M3 when it comes out in a couple of years, but have read several posts about numerous problems during the first model year. Are BMWs really that much worse than the other car companies? If I do get the new E90 M3 as soon as it comes out, what kind of problems should I expect? thanks for everyone's input.

If past history is any indicator:

All sorts of engine issues (watch the M5 forums whenever these cars start showing up)
Panel fit-interior and exterior
Transmission
Electrical

Basically, as with any other car company, you're opening yourself up for a whole laundry list of possible problems. I'm not saying don't do it, but it ain't going to be a Honda.

GregW in Oregon
10-19-2005, 08:13 AM
...other than the bearing recall. But that was a supplier issue that affected mainly second year models. M5/01 production has been largely trouble free for 4+ years and 41k. It's probably better to wait with any carm but it doesn't worry me too much. With the E90 M3, a lot of the parts will have been in procuction for a year or more (E90 chassis, M5 engine) to sort out a lot of the early issues.

joshsd81
11-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Just my opinion, but I would wait one model year before purchasing. I hate being the guinea pig for any car company. Unless you like spending alot of time at the dealer looking at the other BMW's.

Pinecone
11-10-2005, 04:26 AM
Well at least this time the engine is basically the M5/6 engine cut off. So the year or two experience with the V10 should shorten that learning curve. And it will probably get the same tranny as the M5/6 so again it won't be the first year for that, even in SMG version.

But with any car, buying the first year is probelmatic. Plus the prices will be at LEAST $5K over sticker, and for the E46 in some markets ran $15K over sticker. So your G35 shuold be worth just about the add on price, and you will pay out of pocket MSRP. :)

GregW in Oregon
11-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Plus the prices will be at LEAST $5K over sticker, and for the E46 in some markets ran $15K over sticker. So your G35 shuold be worth just about the add on price, and you will pay out of pocket MSRP. :)

There are plenty of dealers willing to sell at MSRP. It's worth going out of your market if local conditions are different. Dealers here sell at MSRP for new Ms, typically.

Pinecone
11-10-2005, 01:24 PM
That is nice to know, of course they will not have a car to sell for 3 years now that you have let it out.

But very few dealers didn't mark up E46 M3s for the first 8 - 10 months of availability. Especially since there were so few available.

bbax
03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Has anyone had front brake issues with their new M3? Mine is the 08 and I have had brakes replaced every 10K. Eventually they realized it was a front axle out of round

GregW in Oregon
03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Has anyone had front brake issues with their new M3? Mine is the 08 and I have had brakes replaced every 10K. Eventually they realized it was a front axle out of round
Brake issues are not common. There are two front axles. Seems like out of round would cause wheel vibration? I don't quite see how this would cause brake wear issues.

bbax
03-07-2011, 11:39 AM
THey replace the pasenger side front axle and it seemed to help. It would only take 5K to feel brake chatter and another 5k before BMW would replace the brakes... They would not admit there was an issue and including the original brakes the car has had 5 sets of front brakes. The last was put on around 48k miles.

bbax
03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
The last twenty thousand mile car has started burning oil... A lot and it's out of warranty

beden1
03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Well at least this time the engine is basically the M5/6 engine cut off. So the year or two experience with the V10 should shorten that learning curve. And it will probably get the same tranny as the M5/6 so again it won't be the first year for that, even in SMG version.

But with any car, buying the first year is probelmatic. Plus the prices will be at LEAST $5K over sticker, and for the E46 in some markets ran $15K over sticker. So your G35 shuold be worth just about the add on price, and you will pay out of pocket MSRP. :)

Where did you read the M3 is getting a V10 engine? I read Car & Driver today and the article predicted the new M3 will get a twin turbo 6 cylinder engine.

I also kind of doubt the V10 would fit into the M3 engine compartment, unless they are taking the new 3 Series up to the size of the 5 Series?

ksoze
03-07-2011, 02:24 PM
That post is from 2005, so any engine speculation is long since dead.

beden1
03-07-2011, 03:17 PM
That post is from 2005, so any engine speculation is long since dead.

Old thread, I just didn't notice. Thanks

dnvrdrvr
03-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Here's my experience with BMW first-model year... Overall, I don't think they've done a bad job and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. That's not to say I haven't thought about turning my 08 M3 in for an 11 M3 just to have the latest & greatest NA engine + chassis before the F30 (?) M3 comes out. :D

I had a 2006 330xi Auto (first year after switcing from the E46 platform) and had a couple of issues: windshield wiper resevoir kept cracking and leaving a gallon of fluid on the garage floor (fixed 3 times before it was Fixed), passenger front tire had a (very) slow leak that was never resolved until I got new tires, moving the seat back & forth eventually cause the finish on the center console to rub away from where the seat belt buckle rubbed. Engine was strong and car was a champion until the day I turned it in off lease.

Right now I have a 2008 M3 6MT (first model year for the M3). Issues so far: Light cover above rearview mirror keeps popping off (replaced once, still happens every now & then), increased emissions warning that turned out to be faulty O2 sensor (had to be ordered from Germany, never occurred again after fix). Engine is amazing. I'm at 24K miles and just noticed it's burning a little oil after not doing so the first 2 years. Planning to ask about that at my next service in a month or two.

Wah
03-09-2011, 09:38 AM
I also kind of doubt the V10 would fit into the M3 engine compartment...http://www.m3post.com/goodiesforyou/modm35.jpg

beden1
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Did BMW produce a V10 in a 3 Series, or is that a custom installation? That has to be one small block V10 to fit in there. Their 8 cylinder has a small displacement as it is!

TeaRex714
03-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm at just under 95K miles and still haven't replaced any brakes (I guess I do mor going than stopping.) As far as the first-year model, though I think GregW got his couple a little before I got my sedan, mine was pretty early production in the first year and I haven't had any problems with anything.

Since even the new M5 will have a TT V8 (though with more HP than the current V10), it doesn't seem reasonable to see a V10 in an M3 now.

mustaine
03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm at just under 95K miles and still haven't replaced any brakes (I guess I do mor going than stopping.) As far as the first-year model, though I think GregW got his couple a little before I got my sedan, mine was pretty early production in the first year and I haven't had any problems with anything.

Since even the new M5 will have a TT V8 (though with more HP than the current V10), it doesn't seem reasonable to see a V10 in an M3 now.

You have 95K Miles on an 08 car. Bravo, you must love driving it. :thumbup: After all, they are meant to be driven.

Any long trips??? I'm sure there are/were.