PDA

View Full Version : Car at the dealer again...

nate
09-04-2002, 10:12 AM
I hope they can fix it.

1) Dead pedal cracked
2) Power mirrors/seat memory going nuts. Mirror controls inoprable.
3) Oil waaay overfull at last oil change under full maintainance. Changed <2000 miles ago. (don't remember the exact date/mileage) I expected it to burn off, didn't. Since it was a different dealer, they are going to see if warranty will pay labor. I'll pay for a change so my oil doesn't look like a cappuchino.
4) Typical rear end creaking. This time it is likely to be the same Shock insert rubbing and I'll bet on a cracked mount on the right side :thumbdwn:

I hope it can be fixed! :mad:

The HACK
09-04-2002, 10:25 AM
Did you ever upgrade your shockmounts to the Cic/M3 mounts?

nate
09-04-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by The HACK

No, but I will eventually.

The spacer rubbing doesn't have to to with the cracks and thats the annoying thing.

The HACK
09-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

No, but I will eventually.

The spacer rubbing doesn't have to to with the cracks and thats the annoying thing.

What's cracked, the rubber bushing or the actual mount?

Maybe you can try the Ground Control solid aluminum shock mount. :dunno:

nate
09-04-2002, 10:48 AM

What's cracked, the rubber bushing or the actual mount?

Maybe you can try the Ground Control solid aluminum shock mount. :dunno:

The actual mount, I believe. The left mount has been replaced twice. Once last year, then again two weeks ago when it "showed signs of cracking" It was replaced while looking at the part called the "Shock Insert", which was also replaced a few weeks ago. Sorry, I don't have the PNs, they are in the car. Shock was replaced too.

I doubt the left mount cracked again in two weeks, but I asked them to check the right mount because the left has cracked twice and I forget if that was replaced as well last year :dunno:

I may have to go with the ground control eventually, maybe when I get new shocks :dunno:

TD
09-04-2002, 11:21 AM
I did the E46 M3 (CiC) mounts and Z3 reinforcement plates when I replaced my shocks the other weekend. The whole back end feels tighter. Highly recommended.

nate
09-04-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by TD
I did the E46 M3 (CiC) mounts and Z3 reinforcement plates when I replaced my shocks the other weekend. The whole back end feels tighter. Highly recommended.

I think I may go with GC when I get around to it.

Do E36 M3s have weak mounts too :dunno:

nate
09-04-2002, 11:29 AM
Quite a bit more than the OEMs though

http://www.ground-control.com/gcbmwcat.htm

I don't think that I need the racing mounts though...

TD
09-04-2002, 11:32 AM

I think I may go with GC when I get around to it.

Do E36 M3s have weak mounts too :dunno:

Yup.

Worse. The metal around the mounts is a common failure point. Hence the Z3 reinforcement plates.

TD
09-04-2002, 11:33 AM

The GCs are not only a good bit more expensive, but they also seriously degrade ride quality. I'd only do them if I was doing SERIOUS track time on a car that is not a daily driver.

nate
09-04-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by TD

The GCs are not only a good bit more expensive, but they also seriously degrade ride quality. I'd only do them if I was doing SERIOUS track time on a car that is not a daily driver.

I'll bet they do :p

I just don't want to replace them every 6 months :p

GC sure does make some cool track suspesnion stuff. My instuctor in June had an E30 M3 (Hellrot) with GC coils. Super stiff, but felt a bit loose (twitchy). Maybe he set them a bit too stiff....

The HACK
09-04-2002, 11:36 AM

OEMs will run you about $50 total if you buy new nuts and the Z3 bracket.

nate
09-04-2002, 11:37 AM

OEMs will run you about $50 total if you buy new nuts and the Z3 bracket.

I'd be willing to pay more for mounts that for sure won't crack :p

in_d_haus
09-04-2002, 11:39 AM
How about Turners?
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/detail_frame.asp?product_id=JTD909

scottn2retro
09-04-2002, 02:10 PM
How did you crack the dead pedal? :dunno:

The HACK
09-04-2002, 02:30 PM

I'd be willing to pay more for mounts that for sure won't crack :p

I've had good experience and it's been over a year now, and it still hasn't cracked. But then again I don't drive like you do Nate.

Stuka BEATS the SH*T out of his M3 and it still hasn't cracked yet. :dunno:

Your call. I'd say $50 difference isn't really that big of a deal...That's like a week's worth of lunch money. :dunno:

nate
09-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by scottn2retro
How did you crack the dead pedal? :dunno: :dunno:

nate
09-04-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
How about Turners?
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/detail_frame.asp?product_id=JTD909

I dunno, the GCs look stiffer, but :dunno:

Dr. Phil
09-04-2002, 06:50 PM
:dunno:
Well you are a big boy, but isn't your foot closer to the clutch usually:confused:

nate
09-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Well you are a big boy, but isn't your foot closer to the clutch usually:confused:

The dead pedal is used as a brace in turns as well :)

cenotaph
09-04-2002, 06:56 PM

I forget, does the 330 come with these? I seem to be having a brain fart and can't remember which models come with them (besides the Cic/M3, of course).

Dr. Phil
09-04-2002, 07:06 PM

The dead pedal is used as a brace in turns as well :)
Well then you could have had some input into the crack ;) My foot is always resting there so it doesn't get any sudden hits:rolleyes:

I love my wagon but after seeing CD-55's purchase, Haus switch over, etc. I'm getting the itch to have a 3rd car. My boss spied up a 91 M3 at a local dealer (used place the is mostly BMW, MB) some where in the 12K range:eeps: Whats the deal on that year, worth a look:dunno:

nate
09-04-2002, 07:09 PM
I don't think there was a MY 1991 M3 in the US :confused:

Dr. Phil
09-04-2002, 07:27 PM
I don't think there was a MY 1991 M3 in the US :confused:
Wasn't that the last year of the E30 M3:dunno: He could have been mistaken.

He (my boss) picked up a 3rd beater for $2500. They had just took it as a trade and were going to auction it, 1986 325 160K.

nate
09-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Sounds like Phil could use an E30 :thumbup:

Dr. Phil
09-04-2002, 07:33 PM
Sounds like Phil could use an E30 :thumbup:
Yes I could :bigpimp:

ANy one willing to hide it for me:dunno: :angel:

nate
09-04-2002, 07:39 PM

Yes I could :bigpimp:

ANy one willing to hide it for me:dunno: :angel:

obvious joke:

Hide it under your monster truck wagon :angel:

Dr. Phil
09-04-2002, 07:48 PM

obvious joke:

Hide it under your monster truck wagon :angel:
Nate I'm not that sensitive:p

What I really would like to get my hands on is my friends 635csi that he is saving for his oldest son. He has his own mechanic shop and takes extra special care of it. He will not sell it though:(

·clyde·
09-04-2002, 08:11 PM

Nate I'm not that sensitive:p

What I really would like to get my hands on is my friends 635csi that he is saving for his oldest son. He has his own mechanic shop and takes extra special care of it. He will not sell it though:(

I want an E28 M5...really, really bad.

Dr. Phil
09-04-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Clyde@work

I want an E28 M5...really, really bad.
I think the Mrs. would look good in the wagon :) Then you could get your M :thumbup:

·clyde·
09-04-2002, 09:31 PM

I think the Mrs. would look good in the wagon :) Then you could get your M :thumbup:

the problem is that I have to sell her car first...and then who knows how long it'll be before I find the right one.

Dr. Phil
09-05-2002, 06:22 AM

the problem is that I have to sell her car first...and then who knows how long it'll be before I find the right one.
Find the car first:dunno:

·clyde·
09-05-2002, 06:29 AM

Find the car first:dunno:

And then stress about whether it will still be available by the time I sell her car? Her car is a 2000 Altima SE with 5sp and no ABS, no moonroof, etc. Should be a real quick mover :(

Dr. Phil
09-05-2002, 06:37 AM

And then stress about whether it will still be available by the time I sell her car? Her car is a 2000 Altima SE with 5sp and no ABS, no moonroof, etc. Should be a real quick mover :(
And who picked that car out:confused: :banghead:

Sounds to me like a 3rd beater:dunno:

·clyde·
09-05-2002, 06:53 AM
And who picked that car out:confused: :banghead:
Not it! But I didn't object. :banghead: I tried to push her in the direction of a Maxima or Accord, but she wanted something smaller, less expensive and new. She didn't want another Civic and we only wound up paying about $13,500 for it (which was before carsdirect.com figured out that they weren't going to make any money by selling cars for less than they could buy them).

Sounds to me like a 3rd beater:dunno:

I don't have enough room in front of my house for a fourth car.

Dr. Phil
09-05-2002, 07:31 AM

I don't have enough room in front of my house for a fourth car.
4th :confused:

xiT and Altima, what else do you have already:dunno:

·clyde·
09-05-2002, 07:38 AM

4th :confused:

xiT and Altima, what else do you have already:dunno:

There are some folks here that makes jokes about Buicks (shudder) without fully grasping their terrifying realities. One sits in front of my house, and from time to time, I must drive it. Unfortunately, for a host of reasons, I can not get rid of it. :(

Dr. Phil
09-05-2002, 07:44 AM

There are some folks here that makes jokes about Buicks (shudder) without fully grasping their terrifying realities. One sits in front of my house, and from time to time, I must drive it. Unfortunately, for a host of reasons, I can not get rid of it. :(
At least it puts the enjoyment of your touring in perspective:eeps: Maybe we should all have our "buicks" around to do so (in all aspects of life) :p