PDA

View Full Version : funny noise

95blackm3
10-24-2005, 07:26 PM
just got my 1995 m3. basically stock except for some ac schnitzer bolt ons. heres the problem...whenever i give it a little gas and let off, a noise comes from the front of the motor-right in front of the engine m-power cover. it sounds like my fan is rubbing another piece of plastic-like a plastic on plastic sound. the sound i believe comes from the grey/silver cover in the front of the motor. any help is appreciated. I am new to the bimmers. i have always ran ls1's and really don't know **** about the m3 yet. I took to the dealership and let them hear it and they said maybe the timing chain, but i only have 54,000 miles on it! let me know. thanks, Jonathan

tamum3
10-25-2005, 06:35 AM
What oil are you running? I had the same noise when the dealer put 5w30 in the car. I went back to 15w40 and it cleared up the noise. Put your hand on the vanos (the cover you are talking about) and rev it up. Mine felt like something was making contact with the cover (like the chain was hitting the cover), but upon inspection it was perfectly fine. Change your oil to something a little thicker and you should be fine.

95blackm3
10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
I just bought the car like a week ago-I believe the previous owner was either running
5w-30 or 10w-30. Do you suggest running fully synthetic or not? Any other helpful pointers you have for the new car? Thanks for the help, I will try it out.

tamum3
10-26-2005, 07:01 AM
You can go full synthetic if you want, just go with something thicker. The 5w30 was like water when it came out.

What other maintenace has been done on your car?

95blackm3
10-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Not sure on any other maintenance that was done.
the previous owner said all regular scheduled maintenance was up to date.
I always ran mobile 1 fully synthetic in my trans am, what have you guys been running and what weight?

zydeone
11-15-2005, 06:35 AM
this could be a VANOS problem it is a most common issue with 95-98 M3 's, but it dosen't sound like plastic rubbing on plastic. Might want to check your serpentine belt tensioner?

jconm3
02-12-2006, 11:20 AM
mine does the exact same thing, and adding oil additive like "lucus" oil stabilizer will help it but changing the oil to a thicker oil will work

MATT95M3
02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
the sound your hearing could be a bad timing chain tensioner the main one i believe, once they wear out the chain has alittle slack in it which allows it to rattle around in there i bought a new one for my car right before i blew my motor apart it cost about $70 and its sitting on my toolbox to this day

jconm3
02-19-2006, 11:08 AM
the oil didnt work but yea its probly the O2 sensor, ill replace mine and tell u if its that

SoloII///M
02-19-2006, 01:52 PM
the sound your hearing could be a bad timing chain tensioner the main one i believe, once they wear out the chain has alittle slack in it which allows it to rattle around in there i bought a new one for my car right before i blew my motor apart it cost about $70 and its sitting on my toolbox to this day

It's the lower timing chain tensioner. The '95 cars have a part that was superceded to solve this problem. There is a web site out there discussing the problem and the repair, which is really quite simple, but I can't find it right now.

If you open your hood and stand on the passenger's side of the car near the front tire, look down the side of the motor near the front and you can see it. It's a cylinder maybe an inch in diameter and an inch and a half long, with a hex at the base. It's a simple remove old part / install new part repair. Mine had the same problem and the new chain tensioner fixed it.

When I get to work tomorrow I'll find the web site that discusses the repair and what part to order - but your dealer should be able to easily find it. The part you want is off of a 1996-1999 M3.

Good luck!