PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find Mobil1 0W40?


TD
09-05-2002, 02:37 PM
All of the typical places do not carry it (PepBoys, Trak Auto, etc). As I am not yet ready to fork out the cash for Amsoil, I'm inclined to try it next (I've already used Mobil1 5W30 and 0W30 - both of which are relatively easy to find).

But where can I get it?

http://www.mobil1.com/products/trisynth/oil_0w40.jsp

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-05-2002, 02:39 PM
The web site says it's available at Autozone... There are several in the area.

Kaz
09-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Should be available at the usual places. I even saw it at WalMart at least once.

Black bottle cap is 0w40.

TD
09-05-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
The web site says it's available at Autozone... There are several in the area.

I saw that. Now go to AutoZone's website and suggest which location I should go to. ALL of them are far from me and many/most are not in the safest neighborhoods.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-05-2002, 02:55 PM
955 Longfellow NW
Washington, DC 20011
(202) 722-7830


Perfectly safe, I go there as I drive by it quite frequently. Yes, your Bimmer will be the best car in the lot. :p

The one on Rhode Island Ave. is in a lousy neighborhood, but I go there frequently, too. (Admittedly, my work revolves around buildings in Columbia Heights through Eckington, so...)

*shrug* All depends on how much you care. :p

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-05-2002, 02:56 PM
I suppose you could always stop by EuroMotorCars and see if they have it. :p

TD
09-05-2002, 03:10 PM
Worst case scenario, I'll order it from here - http://shop.store.yahoo.com/avlube/bfoncolfacar.html

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-05-2002, 03:23 PM
That also works. :p

TD
09-05-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
That also works. :p

Hey, you keep digging long enough...

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-05-2002, 03:30 PM
And you can visit the rich side of my family. :p

:)

·clyde·
09-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by TD


I saw that. Now go to AutoZone's website and suggest which location I should go to. ALL of them are far from me and many/most are not in the safest neighborhoods.

Hey, I'll drive you to one of them. I'll stay out in the monster truck with the motor running while you run in...anyone comes up to the truck, I'll squash em like ants!

ff
09-05-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by TD


I saw that. Now go to AutoZone's website and suggest which location I should go to. ALL of them are far from me and many/most are not in the safest neighborhoods.

Gosh, you have to make those neighborhoods safe. Carry one of these:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/images/firearmImages/1895m.jpg

Emission
09-05-2002, 04:36 PM
I just put it in my Passat two weeks ago. I bought it at Autozone.

Mercedes dealerships (and Porsche) also carry it - for a premium!

JST
09-05-2002, 05:56 PM
What's the logic behind using 0W-40? Is it just that the lower viscosity flows better on cold start-up? Isn't that counteracted by the lower shear protection offered by the light weight?

It was my impression that, especially in a warm climate like DC, the engine never really got cold enough to benefit from the lower pour point of the super light weight oil, and that in fact you were better running a heavier weight oil (especially during the summer). BMW recommends 5/30 for winter fill and 15/40 (?) for summer fill on the 98 M3, and that's dino oil. What gains come from 0 weight?

TD
09-05-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by JST
What's the logic behind using 0W-40? Is it just that the lower viscosity flows better on cold start-up? Isn't that counteracted by the lower shear protection offered by the light weight?

It was my impression that, especially in a warm climate like DC, the engine never really got cold enough to benefit from the lower pour point of the super light weight oil, and that in fact you were better running a heavier weight oil (especially during the summer). BMW recommends 5/30 for winter fill and 15/40 (?) for summer fill on the 98 M3, and that's dino oil. What gains come from 0 weight?

First off, I am not an oil expert. All I know is what I've read and I've been reading long threads at bimmerforums looking for educated input.

Basically, the 0 weight offers the greatest protection from initial start-up until engine operating temperature is reached. The viscosity determines the level of protection AT operating temp. The 0 weight is really only available in 30 and 40 viscosity.

So, basically, it offers a good combination of non-extreme climate protection.

Also, from what I've read from a number of informed-sounding posters, performance and protection are somewhat inversely related. So the more protection, the less power and vice versa. So, were this true, 0W40 would offer an excellent middle ground.

eugeneDC/TX
09-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JST
snip... especially in a warm climate like DC,


haha, i know it's cuz i'm from texas, but DC isnt a warmer climate (although i know someone will come back with 'its below the mason dixon line') (=

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-05-2002, 06:42 PM
We could always chip in together and have one of us become an Amsoil preferred customer...
$20 a year... (And they'll allow $10 for the first six months)
Discounts a 12 quart case from 96 to 72, apparently.

WAM
09-06-2002, 08:13 AM
I think JST's comment, a couple of posts up, is more relevant to dino oils.

With the synthetic 0W-40, you have the best of both world's, cold weather benefits as well as hot weather driving properties.