PDA

View Full Version : Word to the wise: Count your tools...


JST
09-05-2002, 08:32 PM
Went to check my oil and discovered my nice Craftsman 5/16 flathead screwdriver gently resting on top of the fuse box under the hood, right where I left it...maybe last week? The week before? Not sure, really. Fortunately for me: a) it wasn't close to the fan or belts, and b) the closed hood kept it snugly in place.

D'oh!

hts
09-05-2002, 08:34 PM
I lost one of TD's wife's (I dare not mention her name) favorite pens during an ill-fated oil change at his place.

:-(

nate
09-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by hts
I lost one of TD's wife's (I dare not mention her name) favorite pens during an ill-fated oil change at his place.

:-(

Sure it wasn't just the five finger discount? :p

hts
09-05-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci


Sure it wasn't just the five finger discount? :p

well now that you mention it, it could have been, rabbit.

it sure is (oops, i mean 'was') a nice pen. i can see why she loved it so much. if i remember correctly, it was a mont blanc. the "d's" sure do live large.

nate
09-05-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by hts


well now that you mention it, it could have been, rabbit.

it sure is (oops, i mean 'was') a nice pen. i can see why she loved it so much. if i remember correctly, it was a mont blanc. the "d's" sure do live large.

I hope you wrote him a check for $120! Those things are expensive :yikes:

hts
09-05-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci


I hope you wrote him a check for $120! Those things are expensive :yikes:


well, i offered, nay, *insisted* (thanks TD) to pay for it, but you know our Tom. he just shrugged it off with a laugh and a wink and wouldn't hear of it. what a great guy.

:D

TD
09-05-2002, 09:01 PM
I've been watching this thread with a certain sense of bemusement, but I feel the need to jump in here.

Harrison did lose a pen into his car. It was a standard disposable Pilot pen. The kind that come in packs of like 20. I'm quite sure that it came home with one of us from one of our offices. $0.05 tops. No sentimental value either.

I have no idea why Harrison is feeling fictional tonight (or any other time for that matter). But this story sure is.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-05-2002, 09:05 PM
I guess he'd better hope the oil never gets TOO hot. :p

nate
09-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by TD
I've been watching this thread with a certain sense of bemusement, but I feel the need to jump in here.

Harrison did lose a pen into his car. It was a standard disposable Pilot pen. The kind that come in packs of like 20. I'm quite sure that it came home with one of us from one of our offices. $0.05 tops. No sentimental value either.

I have no idea why Harrison is feeling fictional tonight (or any other time for that matter). But this story sure is. :lmao:

What's wrong with you, Harrison? :p

hts
09-05-2002, 09:05 PM
you've always got to ruin our fun, tommy. spoil sport.

:thumbdwn:

JST
09-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Yes, but what does any of this have to do with my screwdriver?

I'm still trying to figure out why one would be using a pen during an oil change. Writing down how many quarts you'd put in so far?

TD
09-05-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by JST
Yes, but what does any of this have to do with my screwdriver?

I'm still trying to figure out why one would be using a pen during an oil change. Writing down how many quarts you'd put in so far?

He was taking notes. Really.

EDIT- And, yes, this is excellent advice. You missed out on the Passpost SR-1 install last weekend. That was, er, interesting. Lots of tools EVERYWHERE. Rotors arrived today. I don't think I'm going to do them this weekend, though.

JST
09-05-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by TD


He was taking notes. Really.

EDIT- And, yes, this is excellent advice. You missed out on the Passpost SR-1 install last weekend. That was, er, interesting. Lots of tools EVERYWHERE. Rotors arrived today. I don't think I'm going to do them this weekend, though.

Ah. Notes. I see.

How is the SR-1 working for you? I assume that you got everything together eventually.

TD
09-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by JST


Ah. Notes. I see.

How is the SR-1 working for you? I assume that you got everything together eventually.

So far, the unit has been a "Cop Repellant". While, up through last week, I saw two cops running radar PER DAY on the Toll Road (with my ancient Passport 4600 mounted in the window as my only warning), I have seen NONE, ZERO this week.

But it's doing a great job detecting door openers.

And the install looks great. We did a very professional job.

SteveM
09-06-2002, 01:34 PM
Yes, keeping track of your tools is a good idea. In a former life, I worked at a Firestone tire shop (way back when the Firestone 500's were recalled). Anyway, one day this van pulls in with a flat tire that ocurred after a flat repair at the Firestone ~20 miles away. I took the tire out of the back of his van and found a 6 inch crescent wrench sticking out of the sidewall! Apparently, whoever patched the tire left the wrench in there and it got jammed against the sidewall while going down the freeway and came out through the sidewall.:tsk:

Glad it wasn't my work.

chukiechz
09-06-2002, 01:45 PM
I found my needle nose pliars near the same spot last night. I was wondering where it went!!! Im glad I didnt mess anything up.

in_d_haus
09-06-2002, 01:51 PM
Last time I had my car into the shop I got home and found a nice Snap on wrench under my hood. Angled box end...perfect!