PDA

View Full Version : Recent sales report analysis

ruteger
09-06-2002, 09:41 AM
The just-released sales report located here

http://cuttermotors.com/jon_shafer/bmwnapress.pdf

shows some curious trends:

Although it shows the 'best ever' first eight month's sales of BMWs in the US with an increase of 16% over the same period last year (SPLY), sales of 3-series cars has generally taken a hit, particularly the 330i sedan (off nearly 40%).

The only bright spots are the 325Cic and M3 (both coupe and convertible).

Sport wagon sales of all models are lower.

I would guess these last figures are more of a result of seasonal buying habits than anything else.

Sales of all 5-series cars (with the exception of the wagon) has increased from SPLY. What is remarkable about this statistic is that the 5-series is a model that has been around for a few years now and is slated to be replaced very soon with a completely new model.

This is hard to explain as the Z3 is in the same position, but sales of that model are down, as one would think would be the case of a last year model run which is due to be replaced.

The biggest increases are from the just-introduced 7-series, followed by the X5-series (a big jump for the 3.0i) and the 5-series.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-06-2002, 09:49 AM
I would guess the 330 sales are dow because people are more likely to stretch to buy a 3 series... 5'ers tend to be bought by people in somewhat more secure financiall positions, whereas 3'er sales would be much more directly and immediately affected by market/job flux. :dunno:

ruteger
09-06-2002, 09:52 AM
Actually, the 3-series does show a sales increase, but it looks like it's singularly due to the introduction of the xi model.

·clyde·
09-06-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by ruteger
Actually, the 3-series does show a sales increase, but it looks like it's singularly due to the introduction of the xi model.

for the 2001 MY the xi was included in the overall 3er figures (325i, 325iT, 330i). For 2002 MY the xis have their own catagories.