PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice mfgr promotion pictures show only appealing angles?

dredmo
09-06-2002, 02:08 PM
Yeah this is old news to some of you, new to others, but to me, maybe my right half of the old brain is over developed, under developed, or has too many dead cells, but the new z for instance, take a look at this thread. The line and curve difference is astounding.

Look how different the car looks from pic 1 then 2
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11678

here are the two pics

http://www.my350z.com/photos/350z/350z-063.jpg
http://www.my350z.com/photos/350z/350z-066.jpg

Just is it me only? Or is this true, dealers use these gimmiky pics to mislead a bit. Maybe not mislead, everyone wants the best angle shown, but inadvertantly is ends up misleading a tad since the car really does not look like its true form (visible by a normal sized person).

in_d_haus
09-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Why shoot it from a less than flattering angle?
Ever notice why the BMW ad for the E65 only flashes the car quickly? Like the Aztec ads?

dredmo
09-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
Why shoot it from a less than flattering angle?
Ever notice why the BMW ad for the E65 only flashes the car quickly? Like the Aztec ads?

Oh, you misunderstood, and if youd click the link I provided, I already used the e65 as an example.

I like the e65, and i like the z, but I never go by how a car looks in a pic because it is so different that what you actually see in real life.

I also understand why they do it. It makes complete sense, I am only saying I dont like looking at pictures to decide if I like the car.

ezsce46
09-06-2002, 02:17 PM
simple design, looks good to me. Don't like a$$ area thou.

ezsce46
09-06-2002, 02:19 PM
front.

ashecnc
09-06-2002, 03:11 PM
I posted those pics first with my post...I think the car looks good..they have every angle...dont know what else you want..i see it in person..and the car looks hot...kinda like the pics do :dunno: oh well...**** it...i like it

in_d_haus
09-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by ezsce46
simple design, looks good to me. Don't like a$$ area thou.

That's how I feel about the Z4. Like the car overall till ya look at the back

ashecnc
09-06-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

That's how I feel about the Z4. Like the car overall till ya look at the back

I could think of several things I dont like from the rear :yikes: ;)

Kaz
09-06-2002, 03:21 PM
Who in their right mind is gonna take ugly marketing shots of anything? :dunno:

As for the Z, the straight-on side shot is its most unflattering, especially in silver, as it makes th 'hump' in the roof more 'humpy.' The orange Track one the mags are tossing around looks really good, and I've seen a blue one in person that also looks really good. Silver is pretty bad, and Pearl White only looks good from certain angles.

ashecnc
09-06-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
Who in their right mind is gonna take ugly marketing shots of anything? :dunno:

As for the Z, the straight-on side shot is its most unflattering, especially in silver, as it makes th 'hump' in the roof more 'humpy.' The orange Track one the mags are tossing around looks really good, and I've seen a blue one in person that also looks really good. Silver is pretty bad, and Pearl White only looks good from certain angles.

Your right..who in there right mind is going to take a ugly picture angle... that was what I was saying..I also see a blue one..looked really good!

dredmo
09-06-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by CCs328Ci

Your right..who in there right mind is going to take a ugly picture angle... that was what I was saying..I also see a blue one..looked really good!

My god do I have to spell it out word by word for you people.

Its a fact, who in thier right mind would take the cars pics from the ugly angle. THATS MY POINT

Just looking at pictures, will not give any individual the true definition of what the car looks like in person. I like the z, and i like the z4, and i like the e65, but thier pictures put out my the mfgr, makes it look better than they actually are. For good reason, my whole ENTIRE POINT, is this: Pictures can be decieving.???????????????? I dont understand the confusion.

Kaz
09-06-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by dredmo

My god do I have to spell it out word by word for you people.

Its a fact, who in thier right mind would take the cars pics from the ugly angle. THATS MY POINT

Just looking at pictures, will not give any individual the true definition of what the car looks like in person. I like the z, and i like the z4, and i like the e65, but thier pictures put out my the mfgr, makes it look better than they actually are. For good reason, my whole ENTIRE POINT, is this: Pictures can be decieving.???????????????? I dont understand the confusion.

OK, I don't see your point at all. First you ask if is it you or are the carmakers purposely only taking good pics of their cars. Everybody says its not you, who is purposely gonna show ugly pics. So what's your problem now? :dunno:

ezsce46
09-06-2002, 04:07 PM
Yep, agree w/ you that advertising pics can be deceiving. Notice how most pics of the G35 coupe are under perfect lighting and the car is silver chrome color. And the new 7er, when ppl first saw the pics reactions were a unified :thumbdwn: . But more & more folks are coming around once they've seen it in action. So the best way to judge how a car looks its watch it in-person on the road. Eye-level. Wonder how this one will look in few years.

ashecnc
09-06-2002, 04:11 PM
Yep, agree w/ you that advertising pics can be deceiving. Notice how most pics of the G35 coupe are under perfect lighting and the car is silver chrome color. And the new 7er, when ppl first saw the pics reactions were a unified :thumbdwn: . But more & more folks are coming around once they've seen it in action. So the best way to judge how a car looks its watch it in-person on the road. Eye-level. Wonder how this one will look in few years.

yea...yesterday when I seen it..eye level was hot!! thats a wild looking car you just posted.... :thumbup:

ezsce46
09-06-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by CCs328Ci

yea...yesterday when I seen it..eye level was hot!! thats a wild looking car you just posted.... :thumbup:

Yea, just anticipating how the new 6er will look..so far, me likes.

dredmo
09-06-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Kaz

OK, I don't see your point at all. First you ask if is it you or are the carmakers purposely only taking good pics of their cars. Everybody says its not you, who is purposely gonna show ugly pics. So what's your problem now? :dunno:

Read the part where I said my entire point is pictures can be decieving. Did you even bother to read what i wrote at all? wtf man give me a break lol
:banghead:

ashecnc
09-08-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by shifty
yes i agree the pics ARE deceiving. the car looks better in person. you know how they say the camera adds extra pounds. the Z is smaller than the pictures make it out to be. the Z has the same dimensions of the boxster. im not saying its absolutely perfect but not too shabby.

i think it looks ok at the side angle:dunno:

http://home.attbi.com/~smarcusbowie/DCP_0084.jpg

yea when I seen it in motion..I liked it! :yikes: :bigpimp:

Mystikal
09-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Notice how most pics of the G35 coupe are under perfect lighting and the car is silver chrome color.

*Cough*

http://www.auto-show21.com/tokyo_mo2001/images_n/dscf1381.jpg

BMW's wonderful habit of producing concept cars in colours that cost a Civic to replicate. :rolleyes: