PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump

JonParisi
10-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

Great forum - nice to be on board. I have a 1998 4-door M3 with about 90K miles on it.

I am looking to replace the power steering pump - question:

Would you pony up the $275 for a brand new one or go for a used one? Also can you just buy a rebuild kit for $30 bucks? I know you get what you pay for, so I am leaning towards the new one, unless anyone has insight on going with the other options.

On a side note, I am thinking of selling it soon, so am unsure as to whether the new pump is the way to go.....

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful insight...

JonParisi
11-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Anyone? Bueller?

thilton59
11-18-2005, 03:40 AM
what kind of problem are you having with your power steering? My resivoir is leaking. Pump is fine, I've got a 98 with 90k as well.

deilenberger
11-19-2005, 02:23 PM
what kind of problem are you having with your power steering? My resivoir is leaking. Pump is fine, I've got a 98 with 90k as well.Acutally - the hoses from your reservoir are what's leaking. They ALL do it. Replace the one-time-use clamps with screw clamps, leaks go away.

thilton59
11-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks, for the tip. I'd tightened all the OEM clamps so kind of ruled that out. But now to new clamps, thanks again.

deilenberger
11-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi all,

Great forum - nice to be on board. I have a 1998 4-door M3 with about 90K miles on it.

I am looking to replace the power steering pump - question:

Would you pony up the $275 for a brand new one or go for a used one? Also can you just buy a rebuild kit for $30 bucks? I know you get what you pay for, so I am leaning towards the new one, unless anyone has insight on going with the other options.

On a side note, I am thinking of selling it soon, so am unsure as to whether the new pump is the way to go.....

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful insight...What are you fixing by replacing the pump? They really aren't a trouble-spot on these cars..

justme_esco
11-27-2005, 09:09 PM
thats what just happen to my car too. The power steering fluid leak. I think everything leak out. Anyways anyone knows how i can fix this. Where can i get this hoses to replace them and how would i add new fluid. Or should i be better off if i take it to the shop and have them do it. Any ideas on what the cost would be is appreciated.