PDA

View Full Version : Redline Fuel System Cleaner

JJKK
09-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Should this be part of a standard maintenance plan? I had not seen it before. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SI-2

geomax
09-07-2002, 06:44 PM
I've gotten mixed feedback about fuel additives. The dealer and a few people here advise against them as they thin the oil. The synthetic oil the E46 uses is pretty thin as it is (what is it? 5w40?). Best rule of thumb is to use it right before an oil change.

There was a post I read by a guy who advocated changing gasoline brands every 5000 miles. I don't recall where I read it - maybe E46Fanatics or Roadfly. The way his theory goes, is that all fuels now have additives, although the chemical structure varies from brand to brand. Even with the additives, you will get some carbon buildup. If you use the same brand all the time, you start to get "brand buildup". So by changing brands, the detergent doesn't have the same structure, so it will degrade the previous brands buildup. Kinda makes sense...or could be completely hookey.

A tried and true way to get rid of carbon is to do a looong fast blast on the highway. Burns the carbon off. City driving is where it comes from.

Mathew
09-07-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by geomax

A tried and true way to get rid of carbon is to do a looong fast blast on the highway. Burns the carbon off. City driving is where it comes from.

Hmmm....i must have low carbon build up then.....;)

JJKK
09-07-2002, 07:24 PM
I read the 5000 mile brand switch too. I think it was from a corvette website (vettenet.com or something like that). I have been alternating between Shell 93 and Amoco 93.

Guest2075
09-08-2002, 08:51 AM
I've gotten mixed feedback about fuel additives. The dealer and a few people here advise against them as they thin the oil.

On the other hand, the dealer here uses the Redline additive. :dunno:

C-Bear
09-09-2002, 03:09 PM
Best rule of thumb is to use it right before an oil change.
Yes. Essentially, the mistake people make is that they put an additive in along with an oil change; the additive breaks loose carbon and crud, then dumps it right into the fresh oil. Putting the additive in before an oil change, allowing it to do its job, then changing the oil after the contaminants have been loosened and trapped, is the best approach.

That being said, I have yet to come across one piece of information and data supporting the use of aftermarket additives, and much information and data that advises against it. I believe Red Line does make great products, this is just one that I wouldn't use (nor anything like it).
There was a post I read by a guy who advocated changing gasoline brands every 5000 miles. I don't recall where I read it.
Uh, hang onů

C-Bear
09-09-2002, 03:11 PM
There was a post I read by a guy who advocated changing gasoline brands every 5000 miles.
Here you go:
http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

geomax
09-09-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by C-Bear

Here you go:
http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

Yes, thats it! Thanks! :)