PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for coming by Techsession 3.0

The HACK
09-08-2002, 12:09 AM
I think I enjoy these little tech/chat sessions probably more than anyone else...

Thanks to Raffi, Stuka, Operknockity, Eric, Vince, Scott and Kaz for stopping by and making what would otherwise be a boring Saturday afternoon fun.

Vince, Eric...let me know how you like the new stainless steel braided lines and if it makes an impact on your braking.

Raffi, I'll download the pictures tomorrow and email them to you. Thanks for the topsider...I think Stuka and I will split the cost on one...Probably will go for the 8.8 quart one.

Scott, Kaz...Next tech session will probably be down your way. We'll do the air horns, possibly clutch lines if my little experiment works, and whatever we can think of next.

Operknockity...Sorry we didn't get to the car bras. Let me know if you can stop by after work some time this week and we'll try it on your car.

All in all, I think it's another successful So. Cal tech session. Hope you all had as much fun as I did.

Kaz
09-08-2002, 12:21 AM
Here's the obligatory shot from the session.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/members/kaz/images/techses3.jpg

SONET
09-08-2002, 12:29 AM
Looks like you guys had fun. :thumbup:

I hope there are more pics coming!

--SONET

Michael330
09-08-2002, 12:54 AM
How do your neighbours feels about all this. Do they think you are some used bmw salesman? That's quite a concentration, even for Cali.

operknockity
09-08-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by The HACK Thanks for the topsider...I think Stuka and I will split the cost on one...Probably will go for the 8.8 quart one.[/B]

Thanks for having us HACK :thumbup:. This was my first tech session as a particpant as opposed to being there just to observe and chat (that being Scott's Bushing and Tilting by the sea). Can't wait for the next one! An airhorn session should be lots of fun :yikes:

That topsider sure made the oil change easy. I'm thinking about getting one too. Maybe there's a group buy in the works? Let me know when you think you're gonna order it.

johnlew
09-08-2002, 08:10 AM
Looks like fun, and everyone's cars look great. Two sets of Alpina wheels?

Mathew
09-08-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Michael330
How do your neighbours feels about all this. Do they think you are some used bmw salesman? That's quite a concentration, even for Cali.

And also what about your wife? Was she fine with 7 other guys coming over doing car stuff and raiding the fridge??

Looks like you guys had some fun, glad to see you enjoyed it.

Jon Shafer
09-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by ///Mathew

And also what about your wife? Was she fine with 7 other guys coming over doing car stuff and raiding the fridge??

:lmao:

Sounds like fun to me....

:D

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Said it in the email and I will post here again: 3 cheers for HACK!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Braking feels better than stock definitely. A simple little mod that feels so different. :) "Pump it up above 25!!!"

And I just remembered...who drank my Arrowhead?? :confused:

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-08-2002, 09:10 AM
Now that you mentioned it...the neighbours invited some friends over, had a headcount gathering before they set off, possibly for dinner. You can imagine the stares on us. Someone should take a pic at their expressions. :lmao: I bet they must be thinking "Haven't these guys heard of <b>the </b> dealership?"

Originally posted by Michael330

The HACK
09-08-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Now that you mentioned it...the neighbours invited some friends over, had a headcount gathering before they set off, possibly for dinner. You can imagine the stares on us. Someone should take a pic at their expressions. :lmao: I bet they must be thinking "Haven't these guys heard of <b>the </b> dealership?"

You know the funny thing is, they're all used to me working in my garage on my own car and cursing...Sometimes they even stop by to chat (in Chinese of course) and watch me work.

Of course, it's never been at this scale. Hell, my neighbor use to hold pool parties on the weekend all throughout the summer. I don't know what HE's got to complain about.:dunno:

As far as the missus is concerned, she loves it...She gets to go hang out with her friends, go shopping, and it gets ME out of her hair. :thumbup:

I think their looks are more on the line of "man, I've seen this guy work on his own car...I wonder how he CONNED this many people to let HIM work on their car". :lmao:

31st330i
09-08-2002, 10:23 AM
perhaps I should host something similar in norcal (east bay). problem is that there may be some cross polination with miata types as that's where I've been focusing my spare cycles lately. ;)

The HACK
09-08-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 31st330i
perhaps I should host something similar in norcal (east bay). problem is that there may be some cross polination with miata types as that's where I've been focusing my spare cycles lately. ;)

The only hickup in carrying this off was we ran out of time...Usually the more people involved the better, since we get a very good mixture of people with a wide range of knowledge and mechanical efficiency here. Vince is a wizard with in car electronics and is "intimate" with the steering wheel. Raffi has good mechanical know-how and excellent understanding of motorsports. Kaz is just a wealth of information. I gots the hookups with vendors and have the experience of actually having done most of these work myself.

It's a lot of fun and I think we do have enough Nor Cal members here that would really appreciate it. I think another thing that worked in our favor is that we all live close enough to make this a reality.

Another hickup is, being the total airhead that I was, I left a note for Eric/Howard to call me on my cell when they got here, but I left my cell phone in my car and we took Kaz's prison cell 4D instead...:( And I gave Vince the wrong direction to my house.

Raffi
09-08-2002, 11:20 AM
THANKS for a great afternoon HACK! :thumbup: It was definitely a lot of fun meeting everybody before the DV run and working on our cars.

Operknockity, thanks for letting me use your spare oil filter - I will bring you a new one at the DV run.

Vince, I drank some Crystal Geyser - was that yours? :dunno: It was in the cooler, so I just grabbed it...:angel: Sorry!

Can't wait for the air horn session:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

All in all, did not have a HACK moment at the end of the day - no spare bolts, nothing broken or missing - a successful day in my book! :D

Until the next one, cheers to all.

31st330i
09-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by The HACK
And I gave Vince the wrong direction to my house.

but I see that didn't stop vince from finding it and parking in front to take all of the attention. :lmao:

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-08-2002, 03:46 PM
I was late! :D Or was I? ;)

Originally posted by 31st330i

but I see that didn't stop vince from finding it and parking in front to take all of the attention. :lmao:

Anyhoo, those buggers started teasing my ALPINA wheel caps styrofoam holder. :mad: Scott went to tease how I chose the RD blue sway bars and blue bushings to match as ALPINA colours. :p And of course being the ONLY steptronic there, these guys gotta say something about a "missing" pedal.:bawling:

operknockity
09-08-2002, 05:06 PM
Another hickup is, being the total airhead that I was, I left a note for Eric/Howard to call me on my cell when they got here, but I left my cell phone in my car and we took Kaz's prison cell 4D instead...:( And I gave Vince the wrong direction to my house.

And I thought I was running late and all. But when I get there a half hour late, the only one there was Eric looking like a lost puppy waiting for his master to show up. So we are just chatting for a while, trying to figure out who owns the M3 and the 330ci, and he says there is a note in the window. I call the number figuring HACK will answer right away, and I get an answering machine message instead. Figured he wrote down his home number instead of hs cell number by accident :dunno:

operknockity
09-08-2002, 05:11 PM
how I chose the RD blue sway bars and blue bushings to match as ALPINA colours.
Isn't that why you flushed and filled with the Super Blue? Wanted the system internals to match the exterior color :D

And thanks for installing the ///M3 steering wheel on my car. Took a long drive out to Pomona and it feels much better than the stock wheel, esp. when cruising along at not quite triple digits
:thumbup:

eugeneDC/TX
09-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
Here's the obligatory shot from the session.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/members/kaz/images/techses3.jpg

this is a great pic. awesome to see so many bimmer owners who have an intrest in their cars...

Kaz
09-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

this is a great pic. awesome to see so many bimmer owners who have an intrest in their cars...

There are actually 2 more cars that you can't see. The HACKMobile itself is in the garage in front of Raffi's Ci, and the MrsHACKMobile is off to the right behind Vince's. And Scott hitched a ride with me so his MRoadster wasn't there either.

eugeneDC/TX
09-08-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Kaz

There are actually 2 more cars that you can't see. The HACKMobile itself is in the garage in front of Raffi's Ci, and the MrsHACKMobile is off to the right behind Vince's. And Scott hitched a ride with me so his MRoadster wasn't there either.

damn, the closest i've ever been to that was when atyclb came over to andrew's (ayn) house to PC his car. so we had an m3, 330ci, and a 325i in one driveway... i wish i could've gone, then i'd a had some experienced help in removing the clip from hell

The HACK
09-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Some more pics from the tech session:

The Top-sider:

The HACK
09-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Here's the additional oil we were able to retrieve through the drain plug:

The HACK
09-08-2002, 08:19 PM
Raffi and I putting the finishing touches on his car.

operknockity
09-08-2002, 08:57 PM
In numeric terms, there was about 200 milliliters of oil still left in the oil pan after the vacuum pump started sucking up air.

Raffi
09-08-2002, 09:37 PM
I was late! :D Or was I? ;)

Anyhoo, those buggers started teasing my ALPINA wheel caps styrofoam holder. :mad: And of course being the ONLY steptronic there, these guys gotta say something about a "missing" pedal.:bawling:

Hey, I was just surprised you had actually kept the damn cap holder! That's dedication...:thumbup:

BTW, I will gladly teach you how to use the missing pedal. :D :D :D

Plaz
09-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Sorry I couldn't make it this time!

I'll try to be on board for the next one, though.

scottn2retro
09-09-2002, 08:50 AM
for hosting another informative tech session.

Let us know how using that spare steel braided brake line works as a clutch line. :)

Vince - I want to see a pic of your helmet with the roundel on it. I also want to see your wheel cap holder marked with wheel locations next time :bigpimp:

eric5150
09-09-2002, 09:24 AM
SS Lines are great, did a quick run up angeles crest on Sunday, much better pedal feel coming back down. Next item (performance wise) are going to be the rear shock mounts, I think, and I'm considering the air horn option :D

Great to meet everyone, looking forward to the Death run!:thumbup:

Now, HACK, about those SS clutch lines.....;)

Eric

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Wait a minute...:mad: that isn't an ALPINA roundel! You told me it was!:mad: :lmao:

And seriously guys, is hanging out with a guy who has a styrofoam ALPINA wheel cap holder, blue sway bars, blue bushing, blue brake fluid, blue Ikea furnitures, and a blue signature, that disturbing? :confused: :D

Originally posted by scottn2retro

Vince - I want to see a pic of your helmet with the roundel on it. I also want to see your wheel cap holder marked with wheel locations next time :bigpimp:

scottn2retro
09-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Wait a minute...:mad: that isn't an ALPINA roundel! You told me it was!:mad: :lmao:

And seriously guys, is hanging out with a guy who has a styrofoam ALPINA wheel cap holder, blue sway bars, blue bushing, blue brake fluid, blue Ikea furnitures, and a blue signature, that disturbing? :confused: :D

We won't even go into the blue and green color coordinated bedding, underwear and socks on this thread. :D Hhhmmm . . . hoping to meet an Alpina groupie? :dunno:

operknockity
09-09-2002, 05:11 PM
And seriously guys, is hanging out with a guy who has a styrofoam ALPINA wheel cap holder, blue sway bars, blue bushing, blue brake fluid, blue Ikea furnitures, and a blue signature, that disturbing?
Blue Ikea furniture? Now I think we are learning way too much about Vince's fixations with the color blue (not that there's anything wrong with that) :eek:.

You didn't happen to have a fixation on the Smurfs when you were growing up? :bigpimp:

The HACK
09-09-2002, 09:34 PM

No, riding in Cell Block 4D on the way to lunch was disturbing.

Just make sure next time you ride in Kaz's back seat, DON'T DROP THE SOAP!

Raffi
09-09-2002, 09:43 PM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-10-2002, 06:13 AM
Ahh...so that's why you guys were late. :D

Dr. Phil
09-10-2002, 06:19 AM
Ahh...so that's why you guys were late. :D

:yikes:

Now there may be something wrong with that:eek: