PDA

View Full Version : installed the SSK yesterday....

eugeneDC/TX
09-08-2002, 01:28 PM
hmm, how to start this review. i guess in chronological order.

so andrew and i put the car up on ramps and jackstands. everything going smoothly. then "clip from hell" oh god. beyond impossible. the total install took us about 2.5 hours. 1.5 hours of that was trying to get the clip off, another 15-20 minutes getting it back on. then getting the rubber boot over the carrier was actually pretty freaking tough too. but other than those three steps, the install was simple.

review...

everyone has posted their opinions on the SSK and i have nothing really to add. here are my impressions though... effort increased, but nothing really bad and actually the extra effort made the shift feel more solid by 100x. the shifts are very short and crisp. i had to redefine how i clutched. the ssk with the clutch stop is really a great combo. i havent yet experienced extra noise (a little more "engine" noise, but nothing excessive). the kit makes downshifts SO much easier. i have nothing but good things to say about the uuc ssk. tons better than stock.

Imola Ed
09-08-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
hmm, how to start this review. i guess in chronological order.

so andrew and i put the car up on ramps and jackstands. everything going smoothly. then "clip from hell" oh god. beyond impossible. the total install took us about 2.5 hours. 1.5 hours of that was trying to get the clip off, another 15-20 minutes getting it back on. then getting the rubber boot over the carrier was actually pretty freaking tough too. but other than those three steps, the install was simple.

review...

everyone has posted their opinions on the SSK and i have nothing really to add. here are my impressions though... effort increased, but nothing really bad and actually the extra effort made the shift feel more solid by 100x. the shifts are very short and crisp. i had to redefine how i clutched. the ssk with the clutch stop is really a great combo. i havent yet experienced extra noise (a little more "engine" noise, but nothing excessive). the kit makes downshifts SO much easier. i have nothing but good things to say about the uuc ssk. tons better than stock.

Everyone seems to have trouble with the clip. It was really easy to get off for me, and even easier to get back on. The cup, well, that was a whole different story. That was a big problem for me. Ugh.

eugeneDC/TX
09-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Imola Ed

Everyone seems to have trouble with the clip. It was really easy to get off for me, and even easier to get back on. The cup, well, that was a whole different story. That was a big problem for me. Ugh.

if that clip was easy for you, you must be the luckiest man on the face of the planet, or just have the perfect tools or something. cuz jebus that was tough. the boot on the carrier was tough until i figured out what i should be doing, then it was clear sailing. i love the ssk so much

dtlee
09-08-2002, 03:14 PM
Which jack point did you used for jacking up your car? Did you use the car ramp then use jack stand?

I just purchased the UUC SSK for my ride. Any install comment is welcome.

TIA

eugeneDC/TX
09-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by dtlee
Which jack point did you used for jacking up your car? Did you use the car ramp then use jack stand?

TIA

i put the fronts up on ramps, then jacked up the car from the rear jack point (right in front of the differential) then placed teh jackstands on the points in front of rear tires.

my suggestions, use a lift if you have access. lube the rubber boot a lot when reinstalling. i have no tips for the clip. just work at it and get taht crap off... good luck

edit: you may want to repost during the week for install tips or search for install tips as the 330 install has some different tips re: the ERK and noise transmission, etc...

nate
09-08-2002, 03:43 PM
I want a SSK http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/sad.gif

I may just buy one and have a shop do it, if I finally spring...

eugeneDC/TX
09-08-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
I want a SSK http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/sad.gif

I may just buy one and have a shop do it, if I finally spring...

nah, i checked prices of shops here in houston (recommended by uuc) for install prices, and they were running up to 150... clip was a pain pain PAIN to get off, but i'm confident that if i was to install another one it'd be a little less difficult. also, i'd want to get the car a little higher than i had it for mine. if you did get an SSK and were in houston (and had tools as i have hardly any here) i'd help...

edit: love your avatar and title. rushmore, what a classic.

nate
09-08-2002, 06:37 PM

nah, i checked prices of shops here in houston (recommended by uuc) for install prices, and they were running up to 150... clip was a pain pain PAIN to get off, but i'm confident that if i was to install another one it'd be a little less difficult. also, i'd want to get the car a little higher than i had it for mine. if you did get an SSK and were in houston (and had tools as i have hardly any here) i'd help...

edit: love your avatar and title. rushmore, what a classic.

Rushmore is great! :thumbup:

Didja know that it was filmed in Houston? Rushmore is St. Johns & Grover Cleaveland is Lamar :D

And, I dunno when I'm going to get it :(

eugeneDC/TX
09-08-2002, 06:40 PM

Rushmore is great! :thumbup:

Didja know that it was filmed in Houston? Rushmore is St. Johns & Grover Cleaveland is Lamar :D

And, I dunno when I'm going to get it :(

yo that is awesome. i'm going to have to go scout those locations this weekend. ha, whenever you get the SSK, if you do, and you want to DIY it, lemme know, if you are in town, i'll lend a hand.

btw, love all three anderson movies. watching all three you can see growth in each movie: writing, directing, and acting... rushmore and royal tenebaums two of my all time fave movies

nate
09-08-2002, 06:44 PM

yo that is awesome. i'm going to have to go scout those locations this weekend. ha, whenever you get the SSK, if you do, and you want to DIY it, lemme know, if you are in town, i'll lend a hand.

btw, love all three anderson movies. watching all three you can see growth in each movie: writing, directing, and acting... rushmore and royal tenebaums two of my all time fave movies

Did a quick search

http://rushmore.shootangle.com/locations.html

I recognized it instantly in the theatre. Though it was a riot :thumbup:

eugeneDC/TX
09-08-2002, 06:46 PM

Did a quick search

http://rushmore.shootangle.com/locations.html

I recognized it instantly in the theatre. Though it was a riot :thumbup:

thanks for the link. that is awesome

Raffi
09-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by dtlee

TIA

The HACK has a web page with install instructions, but can't find the link. You may want to e-mail or PM him to get the link.

Later.

ayn
09-09-2002, 08:04 AM

hmm... maybe u installed yours not long after u got your car? it was real tough to remove and re-install for us.

--Andrew

Imola Ed
09-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by ayn
hmm... maybe u installed yours not long after u got your car? it was real tough to remove and re-install for us.

Yup. I figured that it would be easier because of that. But yeah, getting it off was simple, I just wedged it off with the tip of a screwdriver. The cup was really hard for me because under the M is a metal heat shield. The only way to get it off is to actually take off the exhaust system. So the best we could do was loosen it up. That made it very difficult to get the removal tool in there and get any leverage.

Kaz
09-09-2002, 09:47 AM

Yup. I figured that it would be easier because of that. But yeah, getting it off was simple, I just wedged it off with the tip of a screwdriver. The cup was really hard for me because under the M is a metal heat shield. The only way to get it off is to actually take off the exhaust system. So the best we could do was loosen it up. That made it very difficult to get the removal tool in there and get any leverage.

I believe the UUC instructions provice an alternate way of getting the cup out... from the top. Take a pair of screwdrivers, cross em, and twist the cup. This should also work with a pair of ring pliers. I actually tried this, and it works fine.

The HACK
09-09-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Kaz

I believe the UUC instructions provice an alternate way of getting the cup out... from the top. Take a pair of screwdrivers, cross em, and twist the cup. This should also work with a pair of ring pliers. I actually tried this, and it works fine.

Yep. I find this to be the easier way as well, unfortunately if not done with care will destroy the cup. Fortunately UUC includes a spare new cup with each kit. :thumbup:

Ron Styger has a special tool that facilitates removal of the b*tch clip as well, I might try that out if and when I decide to actually put in my delrin bushings.

Imola Ed
09-09-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Kaz

Yeah, what we ended up doing is my friend was turning it from the bottom and I just finished it from above with a screwdriver. Grrrr....

ayn
09-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by The HACK

Yep. I find this to be the easier way as well, unfortunately if not done with care will destroy the cup. Fortunately UUC includes a spare new cup with each kit. :thumbup:

Ron Styger has a special tool that facilitates removal of the b*tch clip as well, I might try that out if and when I decide to actually put in my delrin bushings.

oh u guys are referring to that white thinggie where the ball joint goes into? that was a breeze with a little plier... didn't break it either... but UUC included a new one so we replaced it...

--Andrew