PDA

View Full Version : Drive for the Cure coming to So Cal

Chipster
09-08-2002, 02:38 PM
Hello all,

The Drive for the Cure is coming to So Cal in October, but the sign ups are starting next week. Irvine is first on the tour.

Just an FYI for those that can make it.

Chipster

SONET
09-08-2002, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the reminder Chip. I'll be there if there's space. :thumbup:

--SONET

Mdk330i
09-09-2002, 08:46 PM
Will it be up in LA? Where and when? TIA

Chipster
09-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Go to BMWUSA.com choose events, choose ultimate drive-Susan G Kohman, choose California, choose October

Here are the details:
Looks like the signups are about a month in advance
The Ultimate Drive - Susan G. Komen
Assael BMW
1451 S. Mountain Avenue
Monrovia, CA

Pacific BMW
732 S Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA

Century West BMW
4245 Lankershim Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA

Center BMW
5201 Van Nuys Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA

Bob Smith BMW
7050 Topanga Canyon Blvd.
Canoga Park, CA

Rusnak BMW
3832 Thousand Oaks Blvd.
Thousand Oaks, CA

Santa Monica BMW
1127 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA

McKenna BMW
10900 Firestone Blvd
Norwalk, CA

Beverly Hills BMW
8825 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA

Long Beach BMW
2998 Cherry Avenue
Long Beach, CA

South Bay BMW
2901 Pacific Coast Highway
Hermosa Beach, CA

SONET
09-24-2002, 01:07 PM
I just signed up for October 8th at Irvine BMW (2:00pm). If you haven't signed up yet you should consider signing up soon - several of the cars are already booked solid. The choices available include: Z3 2.5 (manual), Z3 3.0 (step), 325i (step), 325ci (manual), 540i sport wagon (step), and X5 3.0. There are only a few spots left for each. I chose the 540i since I have never been behind the wheel of a V8 BMW. It was a tough decision because I really wanted to drive a 3.0+ manual car or the E65.

FYI The lady I spoke with said that the E65 is always booked first, followed by the 330Ci.

You can make your reservation by calling (877) 4-A-DRIVE.

--SONET

TopazTim325
09-24-2002, 01:26 PM
FWIW, once you get SOME sort of reservation, they usually let you drive the car you signed up for and any other car that's available. At least that's how it worked when I went.

Zaphod
09-24-2002, 02:44 PM
You will at least drive the car you registered for, but, get there early and put your name on a list. As a car becomes available you can drive it. I drove 5 cars at the event here.

It was a very good time. Enjoy!

Emission
09-24-2002, 04:06 PM
I got the 745i at Rusnak in Westlake on 10/21.

I was very impressed with the 750iL a few years back... I am expecting a lot.

The HACK
09-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Signed up for a 745i at Beverly Hills and X5 3.0i at Center.

Chipster
09-24-2002, 09:34 PM
Hey Sonet!

I got a 745i at 10a. I may hang around and see what else I can jump in to. It was a tough decision. I thought about the 330, the Z3 and the 540. But the more I thought about it the more I wanted to drive the 745. Probably a car I'll never buy (as opposed to a 330 or 540) and I wanted to see the i-drive in action.

See ya on the 8th!

Chipster

SONET
09-24-2002, 09:51 PM
Nice! You must have registered early. I kept meaning to register (had a sticky on my monitor for weeks heh) but didn't get around to it until today.

I'm going to arrive an hour or more early in hopes of signing up for other cars.

Hope to run into you there...

--SONET

LowTech
09-24-2002, 09:55 PM
Hmmm... Interesting that the car with the least-liked styling is the most popular test driver. :D

Seriously, it figures that the most contoversial vehicle is most popular. But if I may offer some advice on test driving the 745, here's my two cents:

Unless you can have the car for a day or two don't focus on the electronic amenities, nav, iDrive, SVS, etc. Concentrate instead on the performance, handling, comfort, aesthetics, and whatever else your priorities are.

I say this because I don't think there is enough difference between gadgets such as nav, stereo, voice, etc. among cars in this class.

For me, handling and performance were paramount. Gadgets, aesthetics and the like were secondary.

Also, test drivers want to spend too much time pressing buttons instead of putting the car through its paces.

Because the performance, and handling are the major criteria for me, that is always my focus in a test drive.

So -- My advice: When it comes to test driving the 745, don't focus at all on the iDrive. Ignore it initially. The salespeople know little about it - it is the most misunderstood automotive technology today. Plus, while easy to use, it takes a couple hours to fool with. BMW itself doesn't know how to communicate the logic behind iDrive.

Push the performance, accelleration, and handling as much as you can. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Best big car I've owned...

Of course, if you have a day or two with each car, fooling with the gadgets is helpful and fun. If not, my style is to focus on the driving characteristics of the car.

Enjoy your test drive!
:thumbup:

Chipster
09-24-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by LowTech
Hmmm... Interesting that the car with the least-liked styling is the most popular test driver. :D

So -- My advice: When it comes to test driving the 745, don't focus at all on the iDrive. Ignore it initially. The salespeople know little about it - it is the most misunderstood automotive technology today. Plus, while easy to use, it takes a couple hours to fool with. BMW itself doesn't know how to communicate the logic behind iDrive.

Push the performance, accelleration, and handling as much as you can. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Best big car I've owned...
:thumbup:

Great advice. That's the 3rd reason I chose the 745i, it's a big car and I'm a little curious about how it handles.

Sonet, yes I signed up two or three days after receiving the invitation. Initially there were like 10 745s available, when I went to register (about 2 days after receving the invitation) there were only like 1-2 available!

As "LowTech" pointed out, funny that such a controversial car is the most desired for the test drives!

Chipster
10-09-2002, 10:53 AM
I went to Irvine yesterday and got to drive:
745i
Z3 3.0
330ci and
540 wagon.

There were always cars available to drive but the ones I drove were the ones I really wanted to drive.

My favorite was....believe it or not...the 540 wagon. Good power delivery and fun to drive. The Z3 was also fun, but not the same power as the V8. It also felt like it was a little floaty or soft. I have an SLK and the SLK seems to be a little more in tune with the road. Just my opinion and I am sure the Z3 has been driven harder than my SLK so the suspension may be more "tired" than the SLK

The 745i is a great car for what it is. It felt big, but very stable and tracked the road well. It didn't feel "bloated" like you might exepct a big car to feel. I could definatly see taking a car like this on a long road trip. The i-drive took some getting used to and I guess with time I would have it mastered.

The 330ci was nice. I have a 325i and have considered trading it in on a 330ci. After driving it yesterday I would not take the loss on the trade in, but if I were to do it again I would get the 330ci.

My next car will definatly be either a 540-6 speed or an M3. Probably the M3.

All in all, I highly recommend this event to anyone. We got to drive the cars without a salesman on a test loop that was about 13 miles and included city and freeway driving. In addition to the drive you are helping a great cause. Thanks to BMW for stepping up to the plate to support the Susan G Kohman foundation!

LmtdSlip
04-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I am doing it this afternoon here in St. Pete.

What do I need to know before hand?

I am scheduled to drive a Z4 3.0 and a 325ixt...They didnt have more interesting cars available later in the afternoon when I was able to go. :( So I picked two cars that we would actually consider buying.