PDA

View Full Version : Help - my hazard lights won't turn off...

alfisti
01-13-2002, 03:24 PM
I just went outside and saw that the hazard lights were flashing. I tried to turn them off, but could not. I removed the neg. battery terminal for now. When I put the terminal back on, one of 2 things will happen:

1. The hazard lights will start flashing again.

2. The brake lights and marker lights will be on and cannot be turned off.

Any suggestions??? (Yes, I know, take it to the dealer, but our warranty just ran out and am worried this may be an expensive fix)

Spiderm0n
01-13-2002, 03:31 PM
keep us posted...

alfisti
01-13-2002, 04:16 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention that the car is a 2000 323i.

Also, I left the battery terminal off for the last few hours, but had to go to the grocery store. When I put the terminal back on, everything worked fine this time, that is, until the ride home. The hazards just started flashing for no reason and I could not turn them off at all.

Aaargh!

LarryN
01-13-2002, 04:25 PM
I'm interested too in what you find out. I know that there's an electronic crash sensor that activates the flashers. I wonder if that's what it is. Or, it may be a faulty emergency flasher switch. With your symptoms, I would guess the crash sensor rather than the faulty switch.

Keep us posted.

alfisti
01-13-2002, 04:32 PM
However, when the crash sensor is activated, (as I understand it) the interior lights are supposed to come on and the doors unlock. When this happened to me, only the hazards came on.

Also noticed something else this time...the headlights cannot be switched to "bright". And, the instrument panel lights remain on as well when the car is off.

Heh, what to do....

Anyone got a wiring diagram for this model?

LarryN
01-13-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by alfisti
Also noticed something else this time...the headlights cannot be switched to "bright". And, the instrument panel lights remain on as well when the car is off.

Heh, what to do....

Anyone got a wiring diagram for this model?

Hmmm. The high beams won't come on? (plot thickens) I wouldn't worry about the wiring diagram. Sounds like you've got some funky stuff going on that you are better off taking the car to the dealer for. -Good luck!

BMWNA
01-15-2002, 09:30 AM
Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Iím sorry to read about your problem with your hazard lights. If you want our assistance, you can phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us through the Ownersí Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

low
01-15-2002, 09:51 AM
hello bmw rep...

alfisti
01-15-2002, 09:57 AM
Well, my wife and I have to bite the bullet on this one. We just took the vehicle to a BMW dealership in Gainesville, FL. The service guys said the problem was one of 3 switches.

Those guys down there seem pretty awesome. The parts were not in stock, so they had them express overnight mailed. We got a call in this morning to let us know that everything was ready and we could bring the car down.

Unfortunately, there goes $237, but it's better than having to disconnect the battery terminal every time we turn of the ignition.

Hopefully the mechanics at the dealership can fix it.

Thanks for the offer of support *vatkins*. Hopefully it will be fixed today.

JD
01-15-2002, 09:58 AM
wow....very interesting indeed.

Jon Shafer
01-15-2002, 10:01 AM
"Ginger" is a registered member at Bimmerfest.com!

:D

Welcome vatkens...

Clem
01-15-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Jon Shafer
"Ginger" is a registered member at Bimmerfest.com!

Welcome vatkens...

Now this is good news. I'm gonna have to find and interesting title for her :D

hts
01-15-2002, 10:06 AM
but vatkens spelled backwards is 'Snektav'.

Curiouser and curiouser.

TD
01-15-2002, 12:26 PM
Another clue... "vatkens" lists her (his?) birthday as April 1, 1947. :confused:

alfisti
01-15-2002, 01:28 PM
The Bimmer is in the shop still. The mechanics have replaced some 3 switches only to find out that they were not the problem after all. Now they say that the problem must lie in some sort of headlight/marker light control module. The part is being cannibalized from a 2002 bimmer I'm being told.

I tell you, I love these cars, but, my gosh...there's so much electronics on these things. I wonder if these newer generation vehicles will last very long into the future. I would think that the electronics would become quite costly to maintain.

Maybe we should just lease a car every 2 years so we don't have to worry about maintenance.

alfisti
01-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Well, I'm happy to report that the problem has been fixed!!!

The great guys down in Gainesville, Fl BMW found the problem in a lighting module. As it turns out, the part was quite expensive. But due to the fact that the parts that were replaced did not fix it and the amount of time it took to do the fix, they cut us a deal. Evidently they split the cost with us making the price even cheaper than originally estimated.

That is what I call customer service. Now, when we are ready to buy a new car again, we most certainly will consider BMW first. Service, service service.

Get the word out:

"BMW knows how to treat their customers"

Yes, I'm happy. Very happy.