PDA

View Full Version : Damn, cold tires can make for frightening times...

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Went out to Great Falls today to take pictures with a couple of friends... On the way out, you practically go from parking lot to twisty road.
So I'm driving along, pushing it a little bit, but not hard. (Never hard with people in the car.) And I come up to a sharpish curve. The car TOTALLY loses traction. I have NEVER seen the car lose it like this. Ever. Not even in the rain. And DSC was on, but totally ineffective.

I almost went off the road! :yikes: And I was only doing 35 in a 25!

Fortunately, I did recover, and all in all, I had a great time today. :)

Took some very nice pictures, too. :)

http://www.nrubenstein.com/images/kathryn.jpg

in_d_haus
09-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Nick,
What tires do you have on your car? How is the tread depth.
Modern steel belted radials don't have the same problem that the old bias plys had (needing to be warmed up)

What was the temp outside? For the car to totally lose traction with all the traction controls on is very peculiar. I've driven my 325 in 2 inches of snow with S-03s and slipped but never lost traction totally, :confused:

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-08-2002, 10:15 PM
RE950s with about 4-5mm of tread left.
It was 68 degrees, outside...
It was strange, I turn the wheel, the tires just start SCREAMING and the car goes into near terminal understeer.

I wonder if the relatively freshly paved road was oily...? The tar was still black. That was just damned frightening. :eeps:

nate
09-08-2002, 10:42 PM
Maybe your tires have been heat cycled too many times :dunno:

Is that your GF?

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-09-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Maybe your tires have been heat cycled too many times :dunno:

Is that your GF?

I suppose I'll have to check them again... I have noticed that the RE950s tend to heat up quite a bit when they're driven, unlike my old Contis. :dunno:

And she's just a friend.

CD-55
09-09-2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
SNIP

I've driven my 325 in 2 inches of snow with S-03s and slipped but never lost traction totally, :confused:
:lmao: LOL Haus!

Several times on cold dry days (with DSC on) I have almost looped it with my S-03s before they have time to warm-up.

The fact is, performance tires need a few miles to warm-up in the winter before they have "normal" levels of traction. Winter tires have compound that works better in the cold.

johnlew
09-09-2002, 06:12 AM
Nice pic!

·clyde·
09-09-2002, 06:24 AM
Nick, didn't you learn the lesson (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11781) about using armor all on the treads?

FWIW, if I had to put money down, I'd say that it was either something on the road or you were going much faste than you thought.

Also, that place is loaded beyond the gills with deer. On a recent ride out that way at night, we counted 15 deer on/along MacArthur between the end of the Parkway and Falls and another 9 on/along Falls between MacArthur and Brickyard.

Dr. Phil
09-09-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

And she's just a friend.
Hence your +50 status:rolleyes: :confused: :dunno:

;)

johnlew
09-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

;)

What does +50 status refer to? I see it above the avatar.

nate
09-09-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Clyde@work

Also, that place is loaded beyond the gills with deer. On a recent ride out that way at night, we counted 15 deer on/along MacArthur between the end of the Parkway and Falls and another 9 on/along Falls between MacArthur and Brickyard.

There might have been deer crap in the road then ;)

rost12
09-09-2002, 08:16 AM
johnlew - +50 refers to his level of comfort with his sexuality, me thinks :D

Nick - that pic shows a very good reason NOT to repeat those scary driving feats. Never again :D

PM - what the heck is wrong with having friends? :dunno: :p

nate
09-09-2002, 08:17 AM

;) :lmao:

·clyde·
09-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

There might have been deer crap in the road then ;)

I spent a summer up in the Adirondacks a long time ago. THey must have been having a plauge of frogs. Zipping around at night with the windows down, you could hear, "squish, "squish," "squish," as you drove over them and there were so many of them, and they were so small for the most part, there wasn't much that was you could resonably do to avoid them.

Well, anyway, this was in the days whne I was going through 5.0 Mustangs. If you don't know, those cars bump steered like only a nose heavy, live rear axle car can do. Let me tell you...squished frogs don't help mitigate bumpsteer :D

nate
09-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Clyde@work

I spent a summer up in the Adirondacks a long time ago. THey must have been having a plauge of frogs. Zipping around at night with the windows down, you could hear, "squish, "squish," "squish," as you drove over them and there were so many of them, and they were so small for the most part, there wasn't much that was you could resonably do to avoid them.

Well, anyway, this was in the days whne I was going through 5.0 Mustangs. If you don't know, those cars bump steered like only a nose heavy, live rear axle car can do. Let me tell you...squished frogs don't help mitigate bumpsteer :D

:lmao:

I have only gotten loose on an animal once. That was a snake at the track.

There was a snake in turn 4 for my session. I was avoiding it, didn't hit it. It was inevitable, someone killed it. Splat. Snake induced oversteer :D

CD-55
09-09-2002, 08:30 AM
SNIP...

And she's just a friend.

Explains why you are the gayest straight guy I know:lmao:

Dr. Phil
09-09-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by rost12
PM - what the heck is wrong with having friends? :dunno: :p
There's nothing wrong with that or his score;)

nate
09-09-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by CD-55

Explains why you are the gayest straight guy I know:lmao: :lmao:

not that there's anything wrong with that...

dog
09-09-2002, 09:20 AM
a cutie with some beautiful eyes. what is she, 18?!

·clyde·
09-09-2002, 09:41 AM

There's nothing wrong with that or his score;)

The sad thing...I thought you said "soccer" not "score"

The really sad thing...it made sense :yikes:

The HACK
09-09-2002, 09:48 AM

...snip...

And she's just a friend.

Courtesy of BISMARK-E...

Oh baby youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu,
Got what I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.
But yous said yous just a friend,
but yous said yous just a friend.

Oh baby youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-09-2002, 01:38 PM
Well... My assumption is that there must have been something on the road, and that the tire's temperature didn't help. :dunno: My tires get noticably softer and a great deal hotter after they've been driven for a while. (Something that my Contis DIDN'T do.) This might, of course, be why the RE950s are generally rated as worthless in the snow. :p

I couldn't have been going much faster than I thought because I was in second gear and the engine was NOT revving hard. It was around 4K, maybe 4.5K. And I don't put armor all on my tires. :p

in_d_haus
09-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by CD-55

:lmao: LOL Haus!

Several times on cold dry days (with DSC on) I have almost looped it with my S-03s before they have time to warm-up.

The fact is, performance tires need a few miles to warm-up in the winter before they have "normal" levels of traction. Winter tires have compound that works better in the cold.

You are right CD, performance tires do tend to ddo better when driven a bit and get hard in cold temps. He was in 68deg though so temp should not have been a factor.

it's a mystery, maybe something was on the road.

in_d_haus
09-09-2002, 01:48 PM

And she's just a friend.

If having a wagon gets you friends like that I'm swapping the M for a Touring...

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-09-2002, 01:52 PM

If having a wagon gets you friends like that I'm swapping the M for a Touring...

:D

Dr. Phil
09-09-2002, 02:05 PM

:lmao:

:bigpimp: