PDA

View Full Version : Ipod woes!

PokerFace
11-06-2005, 09:50 AM
As I have visited every major electronic store near me and have been rigorously searching the net for the best IPOD solution for my E90. I have almost comes to terms with the fact that there is none. When I look at the wireless remotes, none of them can change actual playlists, except one in which the remote was as big as my sony tv remote.

There was one decent wireless remote which you could attach to the dash or lock onto the sterring wheel, but again no playlist changes, and of course you would have to remember the order of songs or hit the next song button way too many times, especially if you have 100 plus songs on one playlist. And my first preference is to keep the ipod in the armrest hidden. (I also understand that on the other ipodbmw integration you only have one playlist anyway, but at least u can see it on your car screen) The salesman at best buy did say that one of the newer ipods with video comes with a wireless remote.

I checked out the Denison Ice link at best buy and of course it was for 2005 and below, not compatable with the e90. Maybe there is one out there that is compatable, but I haven't been able to find it, and I have seen debates on whether it could void certain warranties on the car, but that's a discussion for a different time.

So now I have read numerous posts and articles saying the ipod integration for the e90+ could be 2 years away, but who knows what other music technology will be avaialble at that point. There is a phat noise box that my Audi buddies use, but I don't know if it can be integrated with E90 as of yet.

Now I am thinking the only way I am going to be able to fully use my ipod is find a suitable dock for it, find a suitable out of the way spot where I can run the Aux cable and keep it out of the way. And I am still not thrilled about running a cable out of the middle armrest while the armrest is closed.

Does anyone have any better ideas on how to best utilize the ipod in e90?????

Here is a very good informatinve statement on what's going on with the ipod integration for the new-gen cars.

Here is the deal with the iPod connectivity on E90/E92/E60/E63/E65/E66, etc.

All of the aforementioned series (let's call them "new-gen" cars) have a vastly different electronics architecture than the previous generation of cars (E46, E38, E39, E53, etc.). The previous-gen cars use a bus (in-vehicle network between ECUs) system that's a lot like CAN or other automotive buses, a wired bus, but it's BMW specific, called BMW I-BUS.

As some may know, the new-gen cars use the MOST (see:
http://www.mostnet.de/technology/index.php) bus between such components as Navigation, Display, Bluetooth unit, Audio Tuner, Amplifier, and other units. It is a bus system in a ring-type architecture between the ECU's, which some may be surprised to hear is fiber optic. All you audio fans, rejoice. Pure digital optical interconnection. That's how advanced BMW is!

Fortunately or unfortunately, this is such a vastly different architecture that the old I-BUS type iPod adapter system will in no way work with the new-gen system.

Rumors are that while a new iPod system is in the works, it will be a quite a while, perhaps a year or two before we see it. By then, the iPod may have morphed into something way more capable than today. And, you can guarantee the stealer will want $500+ for it (the MOST suppliers used by BMW literally rape the car companies for the technology ... but the market is changing ... unfortunately not quickly enough for us to see a GOOD factory solution very soon).

chuck92103
11-06-2005, 09:58 AM
BMW is constantly changing technology to keep as much profit in house.

i.e The new 6 series has a cd changer in the glove box.

This rules out the PhatNoise hard drive/mp3 player in lieu of the changer which was once in the trunk. Unless of course you figure out and do extra wiring.

The cd in the glove box is dumb. You have to get out of the car, on your knees, look into the box to see what the heck you are doing. :dunno:

If an when full iPOD integration occurs, BMW will offer it, not a 3rd party. Well at least I would not go to third party. If BMW updates the software/idrive, this could break any third party solution. More risk for the consumer.

Unlike Microsoft Windows, BMW code does not have to cater to 3rd party vendors. :eek:

bdraper
11-06-2005, 10:40 AM
MOST-equipped cars are new, so it will take some time for 3rd-party (or BMW for that matter) to come out with devices that are compatible. There is a published spec for it, and chip makers are making interface chips for it, so the device makers will follow in time. They use plastic fiber mostly for cost and bandwidth reasons. Plus they can get bandwidth without RF problems. It provides no more fidelity than digital traveling over copper or any other type of wire, so audio fans won't get any gain from it.

Since it is new, and there are not many manufacturers using it, I agree with you about cost - I would expect accessories that integrate with MOST to be more expensive than for other technologies - at least at first. And just how well will it intregrate? This isn't a huge market after all.

It's not as ideal using an iPod's built-in controls in the car as it would be to be able to have tight integration to iDrive, but I used my iPod plugged into the aux adapter and it works just fine. And the price is right :)

PokerFace
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
this appears to be the best solution to the ipod dilemma!!!!!!!!!!!

It's called the Harmon Kardon Drive and Play

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aGDJkJ2BLWt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=771&id=morephotos&i=108DP1US#Tab

tgravo2
11-06-2005, 08:57 PM
That looks out of place on the dash, and its $200. I'd rather just run the cable through the armrest.

SantaBimmer
11-08-2005, 12:39 AM
I don't know about the HK device. Looks hoakey.

I changed from having my mind set on an '06 ML500 to purchasing a 530xiT. The Benz had perfect iPod integration. Beyond that, I'm happier with the 530xiT. OH WELL!! Nothing's perfect. It does seem a bit lame that they can't make an iPod interface. If they can integrate a CD player into fiber optics, they can integrate the iPod. It's expensive and low priority -- my guess as to why we don't have it. I'll wait...... :yawn:

Lanc3r
11-08-2005, 01:29 AM
I have come to the conclusion that BMW sucks at audio and audio technology. My spare parts sytem in my E30 blows away the E46 HK system. No Aux input.

Lets not even talk about the phones. Releasing a brand new car with obsolete technology, pitiful.

To put it mildly, I am not happy with the direction BMW is taking with electronics. These cars are going to be useless in ten years, and in which time I hope Im still sporting an E30.

BMW and Apple, what a good marriage. :mad:

KingLemmiwinks
11-08-2005, 07:38 AM
I have come to the conclusion that BMW sucks at audio and audio technology. My spare parts sytem in my E30 blows away the E46 HK system. No Aux input.

Lets not even talk about the phones. Releasing a brand new car with obsolete technology, pitiful.

To put it mildly, I am not happy with the direction BMW is taking with electronics. These cars are going to be useless in ten years, and in which time I hope Im still sporting an E30.

BMW and Apple, what a good marriage. :mad:

I agree there is no reason why the E90 shoudn't have lauched with Ipod intergation. They could have started development when they started developing the other Most Bus modules that are currently on the car. They new Ipods where popular, unlike the E46 which was developed when there was no such thing as Ipod.

LmtdSlip
11-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Hey guys, lets not put the cart before the horse. Lets make sure the window regulators and ignition coils are working properly before we start in on the audio system. :rofl: :p

el_duderino
11-08-2005, 10:00 AM
MOST-equipped cars are new, so it will take some time for 3rd-party (or BMW for that matter) to come out with devices that are compatible. There is a published spec for it, and chip makers are making interface chips for it, so the device makers will follow in time. They use plastic fiber mostly for cost and bandwidth reasons. Plus they can get bandwidth without RF problems. It provides no more fidelity than digital traveling over copper or any other type of wire, so audio fans won't get any gain from it.

Since it is new, and there are not many manufacturers using it, I agree with you about cost - I would expect accessories that integrate with MOST to be more expensive than for other technologies - at least at first. And just how well will it intregrate? This isn't a huge market after all.

It's not as ideal using an iPod's built-in controls in the car as it would be to be able to have tight integration to iDrive, but I used my iPod plugged into the aux adapter and it works just fine. And the price is right :)

Unfortunately, the implementations are consistent on the HW side, but NOT on the protocol side. Automakers have a long tradition of mucking up a "standard" in their implementation, and MOST seems to be no different. It looks like there will need to be different FW loads for each make and maybe each model.

sheppardk
11-09-2005, 10:58 PM
I ordered a 06 325XiT E91 via ED and when I log in to check status I get this:

iPod your BMW (http://ipodyourbmw.com/)
The first seamless integration of iPod and automobile. Click here to learn more.

I am confused, isn't this what you need?

Lanc3r
11-09-2005, 11:09 PM
I ordered a 06 325XiT E91 via ED and when I log in to check status I get this:

iPod your BMW (http://ipodyourbmw.com/)
The first seamless integration of iPod and automobile. Click here to learn more.

I am confused, isn't this what you need?

That's for the E46 and its not exactly seamless.

nyvr6
11-13-2005, 09:27 PM
I have the direct aux input oem piece to work on the 7 series most systems. A company that im working very very closely with has the solutions for the most systems. As many already know the MOST system will be put into every vehicle out with in the next 10 years. They basically shut down the aftermarket guys......................Untill now!!!! Anyway I will post a new thread this week what ill have available for BMW's but only for people in the tri-state area or anyone thats willing to make the trip. Will not ship these items due to the contract I have with the company so watch out for whats left this week.

docsassy
11-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Unfortunately, the implementations are consistent on the HW side, but NOT on the protocol side. Automakers have a long tradition of mucking up a "standard" in their implementation, and MOST seems to be no different. It looks like there will need to be different FW loads for each make and maybe each model.

This is indeed correct. One of the problems that arose in MOST is the fact that the standard function catalogs didn't suit the OEM's so they made their own functions up. Even between vehciles as the technology has progressed the messages have changed. It's not just the messages and the content but tlaos the messages sequences have to be correct. All of these vehicles have moved from being local devices to distributed systems.

Even in BMW between different manufacturers like Becker, Siemens, Alpine etc etc making the infotainment systems, which are meant to be the same, all behave differently making it hard for the next generation to be compatible.

MOST can be quite a difficult beast. One of the reasons for not making a MOST interface for the iPod has been the fact that exhaustive testing is needed just to pass the network management tests. This is something that BMW is not to keen to put small projects through as it takes a lot of time and money.

The other issue with aftermarket manufacturers coming onboard with the technology is that they don't know the network managenemt behaviour and every OEM does this differently. If BMW came out with an iPod interface, I'd be taking this over the Denison unit anyday since I know my MOST ring won't fall over that easily.

You can also expect these systems to be expensive for some time yet. The licensing fees and components are still up there.

ademitt
11-15-2005, 07:00 AM
An interface has been developed that fully integrates into MOST by Siemens VDO. A member of another forum saw it on display at a car show in Frankfurt operating on an idrive equiped vehicle. The unit is apparently self contained and will only require activiation within cip but not an update of the car's software. Apparently BMW and Siemens are in negotiations on its adoption.

Here is the link if you are interested. It is the sixth post down.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16365