PDA

View Full Version : ///M Steering wheel??

Closer
09-09-2002, 08:49 AM
Just out of curiosity: How much does an ///M steering wheel cost and how difficult is it to install. I went to my dealer this weekend and fell in love the feel of the ///M wheel. Not to mention the Jet Black/Black M3 with the 19 in wheels they had on the floor :yikes: Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Dr. Phil
09-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Cutter, Circle or Pacific BMW are you best bet for price.

I got mine from Cutter. Took 1 week to get it and 15 minutes to install it:D

Ack
09-09-2002, 09:12 AM
I believe they go for around $340 for the black stitched one. I think I'll be picking one of these up soon. I've heard so many good thing about it.

operknockity
09-09-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
Cutter, Circle or Pacific BMW are you best bet for price.

I got mine from Cutter. Took 1 week to get it and 15 minutes to install it:D

:thumbup:

I got mine from Cutter. Be sure to talk to Manny in Internet Sales. The regular parts guy quoted $450:yikes:. Throught internet sales, with CCA discount, CA tax and shipping, it was a few cents over $340. Took one week to ship down from Cutter to the LAX area. (I didn't bother calling Circle or Pacific since Cutter had it in stock and at an acceptable price.)

I've not done very much of this sort of thing so it would have taken me longer, but VinceTopazBlau3 did it in about 15 minutes at TechSession3.0 this past weekend. You will need a torque wrench, and be careful about how much torque you use as the DIY page on bmw330i.com appears to be about 10Nm (approx 20ft-lbs) too high per the Bently manual.

It looks a little funny at first if you are used to seeing the stock steering wheel because it is a much beefier wheel. But it does feel much better in your hands (and adds a few hp too boot :D).

Dr. Phil
09-09-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by operknockity

I've not done very much of this sort of thing so it would have taken me longer, but VinceTopazBlau3 did it in about 15 minutes at TechSession3.0 this past weekend. You will need a torque wrench, and be careful about how much torque you use as the DIY page on bmw330i.com appears to be about 10Nm (approx 20ft-lbs) too high per the Bently manual.

:yikes:

I followed their instructions..................do I need to be concerned:dunno:

Vince any body help me out here:eek: :eeps:

Rufus330Ci
09-09-2002, 11:35 AM
I didn't know you had that wheel Phil, you probably pointed it out and I forgot. I'll have to check it out then :thumbup:

operknockity
09-09-2002, 12:43 PM
I followed their instructions..................do I need to be concerned:dunno:
Vince any body help me out here:eek: :eeps:
When we used the 330ci.com DIY instructions, the torque wrench didn't click telling us we had reached the proper torque. We eventually looked in the Bentley and found it's torque spec to be lower than the 330ci.com's. We got the "click" at the lower setting.

Should we both be concerned that we have over-torqued the bolt and the shaft threads? I don't know either.

Dr. Phil
09-09-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Rufus330Ci
I didn't know you had that wheel Phil, you probably pointed it out and I forgot. I'll have to check it out then :thumbup:
Just got it 2 weeks ago:p

When we used the 330ci.com DIY instructions, the torque wrench didn't click telling us we had reached the proper torque. We eventually looked in the Bentley and found it's torque spec to be lower than the 330ci.com's. We got the "click" at the lower setting.
I got the click when I used the 330ci.com setting. So I guess I'm ok:dunno:

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-09-2002, 01:48 PM
Just one comment...

You guys really ought to ask about second day shipping. It was almost nothing extra. (I ordered next day because I was about to go on a trip, and that was not all that much, either.)

operknockity
09-09-2002, 02:09 PM
I got the click when I used the 330ci.com setting. So I guess I'm ok:dunno:
But if the 330ci.com setting is too high than all you've done is manage to over-torque the bolt to that setting. We couldn't get that high which led us to check the Bentley manual.

So is mine now not torqued enough? And how long will it be before it works itself loose and my wheel falls off?

I suppose someone ought to write to the guy who put up the 330ci.com info and see what he thinks. I intended to so when I got home from our tech session, but haven't done so as yet.

The HACK
09-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by operknockity

But if the 330ci.com setting is too high than all you've done is manage to over-torque the bolt to that setting. We couldn't get that high which led us to check the Bentley manual.

So is mine now not torqued enough? And how long will it be before it works itself loose and my wheel falls off?

I suppose someone ought to write to the guy who put up the 330ci.com info and see what he thinks. I intended to so when I got home from our tech session, but haven't done so as yet.

The "click" just indicates the torque setting on the wrench has been reached. If the Bentley manual states one setting and 330Ci.com states another, I'd be more inclined to go with the Bentley's SUGGESTION.

And really, unlike drain plugs with crushable washers, these are just suggested torque settings. I doubt having it torqued higher at 80ft-lbs should cause any problem with the operation of the vehicle.

Dr. Phil
09-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by The HACK

The "click" just indicates the torque setting on the wrench has been reached. If the Bentley manual states one setting and 330Ci.com states another, I'd be more inclined to go with the Bentley's SUGGESTION.

And really, unlike drain plugs with crushable washers, these are just suggested torque settings. I doubt having it torqued higher at 80ft-lbs should cause any problem with the operation of the vehicle.
Thanks for the input, you logic makes sense even to a mechanically challenged fellow like me :thumbup: