PDA

View Full Version : Cadilac Caterra Vs. M5

dredmo
09-09-2002, 11:39 AM
My weekly golf buddy told me he saw a motorweek where this sedan cadilac beat the m5 in every track race sometimes as close as inches, but still won. I am not doubting his story, but does anyone have specs on this caterra? Or even better, the comparison? Thanks

CD-55
09-09-2002, 11:44 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :flipoff:

I think he is yanking your chain

nate
09-09-2002, 11:46 AM
The Catera can't beat a 323i non-sport, an M5 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

JST
09-09-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
The Catera can't beat a 323i non-sport, an M5 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No Cadillac can do it (yet). Potentially, the car he saw was a Holden (Aussie GM), which uses a platform similar to that used by the Catera, but comes (in its hairiest version) with a 400 hp V8 and a six speed manual.

The new CTS will be marketed in a performance version, probably sometime next year. It will be the first Cadillac V-series, and will run a Corvette drivetrain (the model is the CTSv). That means a 5.7L V8, a 6 speed manual, and power somewhere north of 350 hp (final specs still being ironed out). Note that the Z06 engine makes 405 hp; I can't imagine this will have as much or more than that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were close. 385 sounds like a good number for marketing purposes.

It will be a very interesting car, though the chances of it being better than an M5 are pretty slender.

Rufus330Ci
09-09-2002, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the Horsepower War :bigpimp:

·clyde·
09-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Rufus330Ci
Welcome to the Horsepower War :bigpimp:

Where everyone wins :D (until the insurance bills come due :( )

nate
09-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by JST

No Cadillac can do it (yet). Potentially, the car he saw was a Holden (Aussie GM), which uses a platform similar to that used by the Catera, but comes (in its hairiest version) with a 400 hp V8 and a six speed manual.

The new CTS will be marketed in a performance version, probably sometime next year. It will be the first Cadillac V-series, and will run a Corvette drivetrain (the model is the CTSv). That means a 5.7L V8, a 6 speed manual, and power somewhere north of 350 hp (final specs still being ironed out). Note that the Z06 engine makes 405 hp; I can't imagine this will have as much or more than that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were close. 385 sounds like a good number for marketing purposes.

It will be a very interesting car, though the chances of it being better than an M5 are pretty slender.

Ah, that's it. The Holden test in C&D. It didn't beat the M5, which put down some weak cornering numbers due to flared tires.

But, the CTS-V could be interesting. May be able to beat an M5 if GM lets the guys that built the Z06 do it.

IndyMike
09-09-2002, 12:07 PM
It had to be the comparo against the Holden Special Vehicle (HSV) GTS R 300 which came to the brink of knocking off the M5.

See the attached link for the article.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/2001/September/200109_comparisontest_dundee.xml?keywords=Holden

The HACK
09-09-2002, 12:10 PM
What most seems to forget, is that the M5 is on it's last production year...The NEXT generation M5 is going to be lighter (aluminum alloy suspension parts, seems to be the norm on all new generation BMWs now), beefier (either a 380 HP twin turbo inline 6 or a 500 hp V10 BEHEMOUTH), and given current BMW trend, much larger.

Dethrone the king of luxury sport sedans? Not likely in the near future.

JST
09-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by The HACK
What most seems to forget, is that the M5 is on it's last production year...The NEXT generation M5 is going to be lighter (aluminum alloy suspension parts, seems to be the norm on all new generation BMWs now), beefier (either a 380 HP twin turbo inline 6 or a 500 hp V10 BEHEMOUTH), and given current BMW trend, much larger.

Dethrone the king of luxury sport sedans? Not likely in the near future.

Faster, larger, beefier, probably. Lighter? Maybe a little, but I bet most of the weight savings that comes from lighter components will be eaten up by enhanced size/content (BTW, doesn't the E39 already have aluminum suspension components?). But it will also certainly be more expensive, and the M5's price can already fairly be described as stratospheric.

My guess is that the CTSv will be priced the same as or less than a 540i Sport; I bet it's a low-50s car, given the price point of the CTS and the fact that GM will have to compete on price more than anything else. For that kind of money, the CTSv will deserve a hard, long look.

Further, once you get past the techno-snobbery, the current iteration of the small block Chevy is one of the world's truly great engines. The pushrod design means its extremely small and light for its displacement, and GM has done wonders with improving upper rev range breathing. It's no 8K RPM screamer, but it doesn't have to be. The most amazing thing, to me, is that with all that displacement and power, Corvettes can still get nearly 30 mpg on the highway.

And, if a horsepower war really begins in earnest, there's always the 8.1 liter...

dredmo
09-09-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JST

I apreciate this greatly, gives me a rebuttle for next weeks match, i knew there was something missing. He also added, that the caddy was so ugly, only a handful had been sold =P:lmao: