BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Accessorize it, Accessorize it, I must really accessorize it

6K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Bob Clevenger 
#1 ·
Hey folks - my '05 sixer is just about to finish it's long float from Europe to Port Hueneme (in 45 mins or so :thumbup:).

Any recommendations on accessories? Wold be grateful for tips and suggestions.

#2 ·
fitch said:
Hey folks - my '05 sixer is just about to finish it's long float from Europe to Port Hueneme (in 45 mins or so :thumbup:).

Any recommendations on accessories? Wold be grateful for tips and suggestions.
Congratulations. The first thing you should do, if our experience will be yours, is to get a permanent parking place at your dealer for all the iDrive downloads.

Seriously, a clear bra (while invisible) is good to have. I wouldn't do anything to touch the electronics, and the tires are pretty much the best you can get (especially if you have the Sport). I have the convertible so I bought the car a new BMW baseball cap. Of course, I wear it.

And, get a compatible phone. And some good CDs.

#3 ·
Malibubimmer said:
Congratulations. The first thing you should do, if our experience will be yours, is to get a permanent parking place at your dealer for all the iDrive downloads.

Seriously, a clear bra (while invisible) is good to have. I wouldn't do anything to touch the electronics, and the tires are pretty much the best you can get (especially if you have the Sport). I have the convertible so I bought the car a new BMW baseball cap. Of course, I wear it.

And, get a compatible phone. And some good CDs.
Got the convertible too - have the baseball cap from my motorcycle (1200 cruiser) dealer (to hide unsightly "helmet head" when not riding) :D

I hope I don't replicate the iDrive experiences of several posters...but I'm gritting my teeth and getting prepared :rolleyes:

Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
Congrats and welcome to the 6er club.

Get a good tire gauge and take it with u when u pick up car. Most cars are delivered with shipping pressures in excess of 45 psi. There is a good check list somewhere but u probably already know all these things anyway.

Get a good wax and get it on soon.

Oh and I don't know if your car came with the little storage net (mine did not and several recent pics of newly delivered 6ers do not show this little net either). Any way I purchased two, one for each side of the tunnel. You can get them in proper color for your car.

Couple of Pics in case you didn't get one on pas side.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Best Accessory - Tire Pressure Gauge

Cobradav gives good advice. (And the red leather interior is stunning, CD.)

Get a really good air pressure gauge (and an inflation pump). When you go to the dealer to take your baby home, the odds are high the dealer will have forgotten to reduce the shipping tire pressures. Mine were all around 45 ppi. The front is supposed to be 32 ppi and the rears on the convertible 38 ppi (unless you carry heavy loads or go over 100; the book tells what the pressures are then).

Reduce the pressures to say 33 / 39 and have the BMW people show you how to "reinitialize" the tire pressure system ("FTM" which I suppose stands for "flat tire monitor").

The FTM works by determining the rolling radii of the tires on each axle, using sensors already in place for the ABS system. If the sensor determines that one of the tires is rolling straight ahead at a different rate than the other on the same axle, and the difference is sufficiently large (there is, of course, an algorithm for this but don't ask me, I'm a lawyer), your FTM will go off because a tire with less air will roll at a different rate from a tire with air. So, whenever you change tire pressures or change tires, you must reinitialize the system so that it "matches" the tires on each axle. (When I tried to do it all of my iDrive problems started, so I think it is best to do it at the dealership.)

After you have "reinitialized" the FTM (a dialogue box comes on the iDrive screen saying FTM is "active"), you are set. The system now has a baseline reading for the tire pairs on each axle. If you ever get the FTM warning, the tire pressure gauge will be invaluable to figure out which tire it is.

This was one of the most important features for me on the 650i. After I got my CL55 4 years ago I had 2 explosive blowouts within 3 months. (The OEM tires Mercedes places on its cars are junk. I finally got rid of them and put on Michelins.) Mercedes did not offer a tire pressure monitoring system in 2002, only in 2003 and later. And, the Mercedes system measures and reports actual tire pressure in each tire, rather than differences, and is prone not to work. The BMW system is supposed to be bullet proof. But, since it's an iDrive function, you never know!

After you've lived with your car for a while you can figure out what else you will need.

Please tell us all about your experience when you get your car, and as you break it in. Can you give us the vitals - colors, options, etc.? I hope you have a 650i with absolutely no iDrive issues. If so, there are lots of guys on this Board who will want to clone your software! (So, also tell us your build date, please. Chuck92103 is keeping track of this stuff for the class action lawsuit.)

#6 ·
cobradav said:
Congrats and welcome to the 6er club.

Get a good tire gauge and take it with u when u pick up car. Most cars are delivered with shipping pressures in excess of 45 psi. There is a good check list somewhere but u probably already know all these things anyway.

Get a good wax and get it on soon.

Oh and I don't know if your car came with the little storage net (mine did not and several recent pics of newly delivered 6ers do not show this little net either). Any way I purchased two, one for each side of the tunnel. You can get them in proper color for your car.

Couple of Pics in case you didn't get one on pas side.
are those cargo nets BMW? Do you have a PN if so, or a source if not? I searched, but all that comes up (in brief review) are trunk nets (which I own)

TIA

#8 ·
Malibubimmer said:
Please tell us all about your experience when you get your car, and as you break it in. Can you give us the vitals - colors, options, etc.? I hope you have a 650i with absolutely no iDrive issues. If so, there are lots of guys on this Board who will want to clone your software! (So, also tell us your build date, please. Chuck92103 is keeping track of this stuff for the class action lawsuit.)
Thanks to you and Cobradav for the advice!

I really love the look of those tunnel nets - they look really useful given the lack of storage space in the cockpit. Are they BMW Six Series accessories?

I don't have the 650, but a 645cic (probably the very last production unit :(). Sport package, SMG, HUD, sat. radio ready, winter package, mineral silver. Used a lot of the iDrive features wile in Europe and on balance enjoyed it. Wil keep folks posted on howit goes on redelivery which will take yet another age ... :tsk:

#9 ·
fitch said:
Thanks to you and Cobradav for the advice!

I really love the look of those tunnel nets - they look really useful given the lack of storage space in the cockpit. Are they BMW Six Series accessories?

I don't have the 650, but a 645cic (probably the very last production unit :(). Sport package, SMG, HUD, sat. radio ready, winter package, mineral silver. Used a lot of the iDrive features wile in Europe and on balance enjoyed it. Wil keep folks posted on howit goes on redelivery which will take yet another age ... :tsk:
Oh - and Premium Sound of course ...

#12 ·
obmd1 said:
are those cargo nets BMW? Do you have a PN if so, or a source if not? I searched, but all that comes up (in brief review) are trunk nets (which I own)

TIA
BMW
The Net

PARCEL NET ANTHRAZIT 51477145126 $26.51 (minus my BMWCCA discount)
PARCEL NET CHATEAU 51477145130 $26.51
PARCEL NET CREAMBEIGE DKL. 51477145131 $26.51
PARCEL NET SCHILF 51477145132 $26.51

The retainers (5 for each net needed)

PLUG-IN RETAINER ANTHRAZIT 5 51477145133 $0.33
PLUG-IN RETAINER CHATEAU 5 51477145137 $0.33
PLUG-IN RETAINER CREAMBEIGE DKL. 5 51477145138 $0.33
PLUG-IN RETAINER SCHILF 5 51477145139 $0.33

#16 ·
I mentioned somewhere that Ms were coming with a different parcel net. All I can do now is show some opics I gleaned from the m5board that show these new style nets. The parts list still shows the same part numbers for parcel nets and attaching retainers for the Ms as they do for standard models. Perhaps in the future or a dealer shown these pics might cough up part numbers/$$. 2-M6 & 1-M5

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
cobradav said:
I mentioned somewhere that Ms were coming with a different parcel net. All I can do now is show some opics I gleaned from the m5board that show these new style nets. The parts list still shows the same part numbers for parcel nets and attaching retainers for the Ms as they do for standard models. Perhaps in the future or a dealer shown these pics might cough up part numbers/$$. 2-M6 & 1-M5
Here are the part numbers for the parcel net from the E60 M5. Note that only 2 parts that have the same part numbers as the ones from the 6-series. The rest have different part numbers. They are the one in ANTHRACITE color (ANTHRAZIT). The rest are different because they're different color. But you're right, how come same part number, different design? Or maybe they changed the design, but kept the same part #? :dunno:

FRONT FLOOR PARCEL NET BEIGE 51477145128 $26.51
FRONT FLOOR PARCEL NET GRAU 51477145127 $26.51
FRONT FLOOR PARCEL NET TRÜFFELBRAUN 51477145129 $26.51
FRONT FLOOR PARCEL NET ANTHRAZIT 51477145126 $26.51
PLUG-IN RETAINER BEIGE 51477145135 $0.52
PLUG-IN RETAINER ANTHRAZIT 51477145133 $0.33
PLUG-IN RETAINER GRAU 51477145134 $0.52
PLUG-IN RETAINER TRÜFFELBRAUN 51477145136 $0.52

#19 ·
IFly650i said:
Here are the part numbers for the parcel net from the E60 M5. Note that only 2 parts that have the same part numbers as the ones from the 6-series. The rest have different part numbers. They are the one in ANTHRACITE color (ANTHRAZIT). The rest are different because they're different color. But you're right, how come same part number, different design? Or maybe they changed the design, but kept the same part #? :dunno:

FRONT FLOOR PARCEL NET BEIGE 51477145128 $26.51
FRONT FLOOR PARCEL NET GRAU 51477145127 $26.51
FRONT FLOOR PARCEL NET TRÜFFELBRAUN 51477145129 $26.51
FRONT FLOOR PARCEL NET ANTHRAZIT 51477145126 $26.51
PLUG-IN RETAINER BEIGE 51477145135 $0.52
PLUG-IN RETAINER ANTHRAZIT 51477145133 $0.33
PLUG-IN RETAINER GRAU 51477145134 $0.52
PLUG-IN RETAINER TRÜFFELBRAUN 51477145136 $0.52
I choose to believe that parts list has not caught up with reality, at least in the case of the Ms. We will have to watch the parts list updates to see when/if they change.

#24 ·
INTREPID said:
Some pictures and instructions on installation (not on the 6 series and nets have changed a bit:

http://www.mz3.net/articles/082.html

http://www.ee.udel.edu/~xuan/auto/DIY-z3-parcel-net.html

I ordered both the 6 series nets and the E60 M5 nets. I will let you know the differences next week when I look at them in person at the dealer.
Good instructions, wish I had them before I did mine. But I was careful and deliberate and did a lot of measuring. I used nails in a piece of wood to stretch out the net into what I thought was the right shape and tension on the elastic. I then cut out the wood in that pattern as a template (the net will just not cooperate as a template itself) and then did the up/down, forward/rear test with seats and stuff before fixing to the carpet. I did use a small drill with an 1/8 inch bit for the retainer pilot hole. U could not see the hole but the screw threads found it ok. I was not smart enough to use the tape as recommended and that would have been easier.

Thanks - those will help a lot of people. :thumbup:

#25 ·
I thought the footwell storage net was standard equipment. In fact, until I checked tonight I thought I had one. (I checked. I don't.) I've got it in the Merc. So, when I bring my car in for its early oil change I am going to ask for a net to be installed - as a warranty item. BMW forgot my net! :mad: Do you think it's being deleted as a safety item? By the same people who have decided you have to accept the iDrive conditions (which I still have not read and will never read as a matter of principle)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.