PDA

View Full Version : Car and Driver October 2002 Article

dog
09-09-2002, 12:24 PM
So I just read it. I'm surprised that when it came to a test like this (330 vs. the world) that C&D did not opt for the sport suspension. Not knowing all the ins and outs of the other brands, I imagine their standard suspension is their only suspension option.

I suppose in the near-luxury class, they were looking for the most ballon-like ride.

I would like to try the continuously variable tranny that Audi makes - has anyone driven an Audi with that option?

TD
09-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by dog
So I just read it. I surprised that when it came to a test like this (330 vs. the world) that C&D did not opt for the sport suspension. Not knowing all the ins and outs of the other brands, I imagine their standard suspension is their only suspension option.

I suppose in the near-luxury class, they were looking for the most ballon-like ride.

I would like to try the continuously variable tranny that Audi makes - has anyone driven an Audi with that option?

The sport suspension is standard on all 330 sedans and coupes. By not testing a sport package equipped 330i, they only had narrower tires (with AS rubber), flat seats and the 4-spoke steering wheel. But no suspension difference.

nate
09-09-2002, 12:28 PM
Allegedly, the 330 already comes with sports suspension :dunno:

Though, it might have actually helped the 330, as it had non-staggered skinny tires. Maybe less grip, but more fun and more balanced.

nate
09-09-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by TD

The sport suspension is standard on all 330 sedans and coupes. By not testing a sport package equipped 330i, they only had narrower tires (with AS rubber), flat seats and the 4-spoke steering wheel. But no suspension difference.

But, they still got the "World's best throttle tip-in" :angel:

Michael330
09-09-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by TD

That's true. The sport suspension is standard. As someone who went from non-SP setup to SP, all I can say is that the wheels make a HUGE difference. The ride is substancially harsher and firmer. The car corners much better and feels more planted on the road. You feel the road much more. DSC kicks in about 60% less than in a non-SP setup.

dog
09-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by TD

Good point. Is it obvious that I'm stuck in 2001?

Not your post, but I must take objection to the skinnier tires being more fun. Does a lower lateral G threshold make for more fun? Or perhaps you were referring to the sliding around in the non-sport seats? :dunno:

TD
09-09-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by dog

Good point. Is it obvious that I'm stuck in 2001?

Not your post, but I must take objection to the skinnier tires being more fun. Does a lower lateral G threshold make for more fun? Or perhaps you were referring to the sliding around in the non-sport seats? :dunno:

Non-staggered setup = less understeer = more fun

dog
09-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by TD

Non-staggered setup = less understeer = more fun

Inherent in the 'more fun' argument is profound subjectivity, with a possible *scoche* of objectivity. Seems like a futile argument to have here. :banghead:

johnlew
09-09-2002, 12:55 PM
TD,

friendly note. I noticed your avatar is gone, or under revision, but the line is moving your post margin over. :)

TD
09-09-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
TD,

friendly note. I noticed your avatar is gone, or under revision, but the line is moving your post margin over. :)

It's what was there when the avatar was there. Strangely, it doesn't throw anything off when I view the page. But, for you, I'll modify it.

TD
09-09-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by dog

Inherent in the 'more fun' argument is profound subjectivity, with a possible *scoche* of objectivity. Seems like a futile argument to have here. :banghead:

Objective or not, it is what I suspect was Nate was referring to.

johnlew
09-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by TD

It's what was there when the avatar was there. Strangely, it doesn't throw anything off when I view the page. But, for you, I'll modify it.

Now it's a period with an equal margin. Maybe it has to do with the resolution on my office screen, 1024x768. I use 800X600 at home and don't recall seeing your posts off margin there. :dunno: Anyway, thanks.

Mystikal
09-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by johnlew

Now it's a period with an equal margin. Maybe it has to do with the resolution on my office screen, 1024x768. I use 800X600 at home and don't recall seeing your posts off margin there. :dunno: Anyway, thanks.

So that's why you always complain about picture sizes. A resolution of 800x600, or hell, 1024x768? I don't understand how 80% of the websites out there look right on your screen. I'm at 1280x1024 right now, which is the "just right" setting to me.

ed325i
09-09-2002, 07:55 PM
Have you guys checked out the G35 forum in www.freshalloy.com? The G35 guys are crying foul because the 330i came in first. Funny, when a mag like their car, it's a great review. If a mag finds their car wanting, it's a cheap rag.

Ed

blackdawg
09-09-2002, 08:37 PM
the 330i weighed in at 3478 pounds for this car and driver comparison.

yuck-o.

again, relative to the other cars in the test, it's the lightest....but everything is relative, isn't it?

sorta waiting here for the point where weight will start to come down again. fuel economy? braking? cornering? unsprung weight? acceleration?

it would thump them even worse,if it was closer to its 3200 lb. weight.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-09-2002, 08:40 PM
PP, Step, and all the other luxo crap will add to the weight. :p
Nonetheless, my land barge does pretty well. :)

blackdawg
09-09-2002, 08:53 PM
our E46 porky pigs are listed at 3594 pounds.

just for reference.

nate
09-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by blackdawg
the 330i weighed in at 3478 pounds for this car and driver comparison.

yuck-o.

again, relative to the other cars in the test, it's the lightest....but everything is relative, isn't it?

sorta waiting here for the point where weight will start to come down again. fuel economy? braking? cornering? unsprung weight? acceleration?

it would thump them even worse,if it was closer to its 3200 lb. weight.

I'm right here. I posted further up http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/wavey.gif

Ya, auto 330s are pretty portly. My car weighs "only" 3220 on the scales...

Mystikal
09-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

My car weighs "only" 3220 on the scales...

I still have the lightest NA-spec E46, at around 3140 with the current wheels. :p

nate
09-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal

I still have the lightest NA-spec E46, at around 3140 with the current wheels. :p

NA-spec?

I doubt the 320i is heavier...

Mystikal
09-10-2002, 05:34 PM

NA-spec?

I doubt the 320i is heavier...

I'm actually seriously going to research that. :confused:

Mystikal
09-10-2002, 05:45 PM
Okay, now: BMW rates the '02 320i at 1425kg, which is 3141lbs. The 323i is at 3153lbs, which should give the 320i a 12lb advantage. I don't know what the stock weight of the 43's is, but I'd bet that the Mille Miglia's must be around 3 lbs lighter each, since they are rated at a decent 20.x lbs. Therefore, it would be splitting hairs which one is lighter. :dunno:

nate
09-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Okay, now: BMW rates the '02 320i at 1425kg, which is 3141lbs. The 323i is at 3153lbs, which should give the 320i a 12lb advantage. I don't know what the stock weight of the 43's is, but I'd bet that the Mille Miglia's must be around 3 lbs lighter each, since they are rated at a decent 20.x lbs. Therefore, it would be splitting hairs which one is lighter. :dunno:

Type 43s weigh 20.5 lbs each

Also, I'd bet that the 1999 320i is lighter than the 2002

Mystikal
09-10-2002, 06:58 PM

Type 43s weigh 20.5 lbs each

Also, I'd bet that the 1999 320i is lighter than the 2002

The first 320's came in 2001. So maybe you have a case with that model, but I don't have the specs. :dunno:

Why you and I argue such things so often is beyong me, though. :banghead:

TD
09-10-2002, 07:02 PM

Nate is in denial.

Mystikal
09-10-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Holden

Nate is in denial.

Of everything? :lmao:

nate
09-10-2002, 07:41 PM

The first 320's came in 2001. So maybe you have a case with that model, but I don't have the specs. :dunno:

Who's arguing?

Crummey2M4
09-10-2002, 11:11 PM
Do you guys actually know what stagger means?
AFAIK Beemers don't run on ovals so I doubt they are selling cars with stagger.

The HACK
09-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Crummey2M4
Do you guys actually know what stagger means?
AFAIK Beemers don't run on ovals so I doubt they are selling cars with stagger.
Go to a race sometime you might learn something.

AFAIK beemers refer to BMW motorcycles, not cars.

When we say "staggered" set up we simply mean the front wheels are of different width than the rear wheels. :dunno:

Crummey2M4
09-10-2002, 11:18 PM
NOPE SORRY STAGGER REFERS TO THE TIRE'S CIRCUMFERENCE VARYING FROM LEFT TO RIGHT.
ASK ANYBODY THAT KNOWS EVEN JACK SQUAT ABOUT RACING AND THEY WILL EXPLAIN IT TO YOU.
I GUESS IT MIGHT MEAN SOMETHING DIFFERENT IN BMW-COOLGUY-CODE THOUGH.

Crummey2M4
09-10-2002, 11:21 PM
Hmm reading my post it looks a little agressive
I gotta understand everybody don't know all these racing terms
Sorry

The HACK
09-10-2002, 11:29 PM
LOOK I'M NOT TRYING TO BE AN *SSHOLE. JUST POINTING OUT THAT'S WHAT WE REFER TO AS STAGGERED TIRES. EVEN BMW'S OWN LITERATURE REFERS TO DIFFERENT TIRE SIZES UP FRONT AND IN THE BACK AS STAGGERED TIRES.

VERY FEW OF US HERE FOLLOW NASCAR. PARDON OUR IGNORANCE. DON'T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A WAD OVER IT.

classy man
09-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by The HACK

VERY FEW OF US HERE FOLLOW NASCAR. PARDON OUR IGNORANCE. DON'T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A WAD OVER IT.

And just what in gods green gorilla earth is wrong with nascar mr. goody two shoes? are you two good to like nascar? if you would get off your high horse and be cool you'd see nascars are good! so how about clamming it up about that?

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-10-2002, 11:51 PM
Geez. Go to Nascarfest.com or something. No need to get all defensive here.:thumbdwn:

Originally posted by classy man

And just what in gods green gorilla earth is wrong with nascar mr. goody two shoes? are you two good to like nascar? if you would get off your high horse and be cool you'd see nascars are good! so how about clamming it up about that?

classy man
09-11-2002, 12:01 AM
and while we're at it, where did you get thta picture? is that you're car? that's cool if it is. too bad your'e so goody goody though.

http://www.studio2321.com/carstuff/temp/sig3.jpg

thrillhill
09-11-2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by classy man

that's right classy man !!! theres one f1 race in the USA and like 34 nascar races..obviosly f1 is MUCH more popular

why watch races where there is NO compition, and the *CHAMPION* is crowned in the middle of the season how boring is that?

dog
09-11-2002, 11:04 AM
perhaps you missed the 3 inch margain of victory in last week's IRL race. you want drama, watch that. the points race, IMO, is secondary or even terciary to a good race and other things that go along with racing (i.e. fantacizing about sarah fisher).

how is it possible for someone to screw up spelling and grammar so badly? two = too? maybe it's just me, but at least let's make an effort to get it right here...

classy man
09-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by dog
perhaps you missed the 3 inch margain of victory in last week's IRL race. you want drama, watch that. the points race, IMO, is secondary or even terciary to a good race and other things that go along with racing (i.e. fantacizing about sarah fisher). ][/QUOT]
]QUOTE][i
how is it possible for someone to screw up spelling and grammar so badly? two = too? maybe it's just me, but at least let's make an effort to get it right here... [/QUOTE][/B][/[/B][/

yeah and when theyre wheels touch KABLOOWEY! people go flying everywhere. leats in the NASCAR people can trade paint. you think yer so good cause you like F1. F1 drivers are mostly frenchmen anyway. and we know about them. at least NASCAR drivers are down home boys.

and about the spelling. i do the best i can sorry if it's not good enuogh.

classy man
09-11-2002, 12:24 PM
arrrgh :mad: stupid quotes got messed up. sorry for that.

AlisaKay
09-14-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by dog

I'm currently driving a 2002 A6 3.0 with CVT. The transmissin is extremely smooth. It could use a bit more hp, but overall the Audi is a very good "family truckster". I admit, however, that I can hardly wait for my 2003 330Ci with a STICK to arrive.