PDA

View Full Version : I love my wife's 540iaT...

johnlew
09-09-2002, 05:47 PM
Been meaning to post this since Sun. The '99 540iaT with sport package with 85k miles is such a great car. While I found it to be heavy the day we got it, I'm now finding my 3 series to be light. But moreso is the power. It's just there, no argument, no waiting, no protesting...just there. Was on my way to Home Depot, about a 10 mile freeway ride. First, I get on the freeway, smooth, cruising and wonderful. Feel like you're just ready to go cross country. Then traffic is moving nicely at about 80 mph. Before I get to the off ramp I decide to give it a little, not even enough to shift out of 5th. Like nothing I'm doing over 100. Sure wouldn't know it though. The weight, the tautness, the smoothness, the preciseness, the power...it just all adds up and comes together to make a whole greater than the sum of the parts. Don't get me wrong, I'll love my 330 too, but it seems just a bit less coming from the 5. Lighter, zippier but not right there on the throttle like the 5 is. The 5 just gets to speed with no fuss, the 3 makes just a bit more of an issue of it. When at higher speeds and I want to move out, I almost always need to shift back in the 3. The 5 just moves and then if you REALLY want to move, shift back. Both are great cars and a pleasure to drive. Just wasn't expecting the 5 to grow on me the way it has. Maybe the M3 has the power I refer to, but I think the weight of the 5 adds to the experience of which I speak.

Cliff
09-09-2002, 05:51 PM
Are you sure the 300 pounds worth of cabrio you're hauling around coupled with the step isn't a big factor? My manual 330Ci doesn't seem to be happy running at less than 90 or so, and getting there is effortless.

(Definitely a nice wagon, tho...)

johnlew
09-09-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Cliff3
Are you sure the 300 pounds worth of cabrio you're hauling around coupled with the step isn't a big factor? My manual 330Ci doesn't seem to be happy running at less than 90 or so, and getting there is effortless.

(Definitely a nice wagon, tho...)

Oh, I imagine so. My 330 loves the higher speeds and gets there quickly, it's just that getting there and moving around within the higher speeds is soooo effortless in the 540.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-09-2002, 05:57 PM
I drove a borrowed '99 740i Sport for a few months while my car was on order, and when my car was down with the aux fan problem...
The 4.4 is lethal. :) Too bad about the transmission in it, though... I just can't live with an automatic.

IndyMike
09-09-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
Been meaning to post this since Sun. The '99 540iaT with sport package with 85k miles is such a great car. While I found it to be heavy the day we got it, I'm now finding my 3 series to be light. But moreso is the power. It's just there, no argument, no waiting, no protesting...just there. Was on my way to Home Depot, about a 10 mile freeway ride. First, I get on the freeway, smooth, cruising and wonderful. Feel like you're just ready to go cross country. Then traffic is moving nicely at about 80 mph. Before I get to the off ramp I decide to give it a little, not even enough to shift out of 5th. Like nothing I'm doing over 100. Sure wouldn't know it though. The weight, the tautness, the smoothness, the preciseness, the power...it just all adds up and comes together to make a whole greater than the sum of the parts. Don't get me wrong, I'll love my 330 too, but it seems just a bit less coming from the 5. Lighter, zippier but not right there on the throttle like the 5 is. The 5 just gets to speed with no fuss, the 3 makes just a bit more of an issue of it. When at higher speeds and I want to move out, I almost always need to shift back in the 3. The 5 just moves and then if you REALLY want to move, shift back. Both are great cars and a pleasure to drive. Just wasn't expecting the 5 to grow on me the way it has. Maybe the M3 has the power I refer to, but I think the weight of the 5 adds to the experience of which I speak.
I agree about the impressive power of the 5er. I drove a 540 during the Komen event a couple of years ago and was so enthused about it that I almost went out and bought a 540i6. It's kind of ridiculous, but the only thing that stopped me was I couldn't find a color that blew my hair back. So I decided to wait until the following model year ('01), and, well, the rest is history.

No real regrets, but I still remember the fun I had with just that short 30 minute drive in the 540iA.

It's all you can do to keep from stomping the throttle all of the time because it's so exhilirating. Great brakes as I remember, too.

You definitely have the best of both worlds! :thumbup:

PhilH
09-09-2002, 06:25 PM
My dad's '00 540iA is a great car, and within the first 10 minutes behind the wheel when he first got it, I shut off the traction control and did a nice little powerslide (at around 20mph). When driving it on the highway, it's difficult to stay with traffic when you know extra-legal speeds are just a slight prod of the throttle away. :bigpimp:

AF
09-09-2002, 07:01 PM
No doubt the 540 is one heck of a car . . . I drive a 540it at the Susan Komen event a couple of years ago and loved it . . .

Plus the 5er is just an incredible car overall anyway . . . I remember how much I loved the 525 loaner car I had a year ago. I didn't want to give it back to the dealer !!