PDA

View Full Version : annoying screeching sound

zydeone
11-09-2005, 01:09 PM
I recently changed my oil from regular to synthetic 1030, day later noticed an annoying screeching noise coming from the engine closer to the drivers side. My friend tells me it could be a bad VANOS or alternator bearings. Anyone had experience with this annoying screech that happens after the car warms up? I know ive already screwed up by using 1030 instead of 1550 which i will change here soon, also, anyone know about viscosity and weather conditions 1030 vs. 1550 in colder enviornments.
HELP!
stock 97 E36 M3 black on black (aka darthvader)

thilton59
11-10-2005, 02:10 AM
Can you pinpoint the area? Closer to the driver's side is kind of vauge.

Pinecone
11-10-2005, 04:22 AM
10W-30 full synthetic is fine. BMW now recomends their own 5W-30 for all cars, except a few that take the Castrol TWS 10W-60 (S54s and some S62s).

It could be any number of things, and most of them not related to the oil switch.

zydeone
11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
I just took my car to the BMW dealership, they tell me its an issue with the belt and a pulley only thing is they didnt tell me which one. I've heard from other members that a thicker oil will reduce noise, is this true? since my last oil change from castrol syntec 10w-60 to mobil 1 10w-30 the noise came about, thats why i thought it was oil switch related. but thanks for your advise, it logicaly dosent seem to be an oil switch issue.

bookemss
11-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Thicker/heavier weight oil will have absolutely NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER in reducing belt noises....period.

Pinecone
11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
And may INCREASE lifter noise due to the slower refilling of the hydraulic lifters.

deilenberger
11-10-2005, 04:45 PM
I just took my car to the BMW dealership, they tell me its an issue with the belt and a pulley only thing is they didnt tell me which one. I've heard from other members that a thicker oil will reduce noise, is this true? since my last oil change from castrol syntec 10w-60 to mobil 1 10w-30 the noise came about, thats why i thought it was oil switch related. but thanks for your advise, it logicaly dosent seem to be an oil switch issue.The only difference this will make for a belt noise is the pitch might change depending on what viscosity oil you spilled/dripped on the belt.

Either your belt got oil on it, or the idler decided it was time to die. In either case - the oil has NOTHING AT ALL to do with it.

zydeone
11-15-2005, 11:35 AM
This problem was solved by my mechanic it was due to a faulty serpentine belt tensioner.
All who replied, your help and expertise was greatly appreciated.

zydeone
11-22-2005, 08:28 AM
How Do I Delete This Thread? I've Been Looking Everywhere On The Site And Cannot Find Away To Delete It Contact Us (bimmerfest) Dosent Help Either Because Of The Default?

Help!!!

operknockity
11-22-2005, 08:31 AM
How Do I Delete This Thread? I've Been Looking Everywhere On The Site And Cannot Find Away To Delete It Contact Us (bimmerfest) Dosent Help Either Because Of The Default?

Help!!!
If it was important enough to have asked in the first place, why do you want it deleted?????

zydeone
11-22-2005, 08:38 AM
I want to delete the thread becasue the problems been solved and i sound like an idiot because i assumed it had to do with the oil change, because that was the last thing i did before the noise came about.. and then everyone schooled me. It was due to a faulty serpentine belt tensioner.

operknockity
11-22-2005, 08:43 AM
I want to delete the thread becasue the problems been solved and i sound like an idiot because i assumed it had to do with the oil change, because that was the last thing i did before the noise came about.. and then everyone schooled me. It was due to a faulty serpentine belt tensioner.
Live and learn. Everyone was a newbie once. For those not in the know about auto stuff, it was a valid question and leaving the thread up will help others learn too. And it is not even close to being as stupid a question as many others that have been posted here before.

But, it is your call. If you really wanna delete it, click the little warning triangle icon ( http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif ) and ask the mods to delete it.

LmtdSlip
11-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Was the tensioner fixed or replaced?

Did you replace the belts when the tensioner was fixed/replaced?

What did you pay to have this done?

zydeone
11-22-2005, 09:03 AM
The serpentine belt tensioner part cost $59.99 from the dealership, i bought a new OEM serpentine belt as well just to be proactive. Fortunantly i have a mechanic who is certified with bmw gmbh and is also a friend, this guy is amazing just moved here from germany.. he did the work for me for 50 bucks and and some 4 way.