PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally Connected Ground Wire to Power (E36)

stash182
11-11-2005, 10:20 PM
While trying to ground my head unit to get rid of alternator whine, I accidentally attached my HU ground wire to my power inverter's power wire. Now both my new and old head units wont power up. I checked all the fuses under my hood.

Does anyone have any ideas??? Are there more fuse locations on a BMW E36? I'm dying here :(

SRFast
11-12-2005, 07:52 AM
While trying to ground my head unit to get rid of alternator whine, I accidentally attached my HU ground wire to my power inverter's power wire. Now both my new and old head units wont power up. I checked all the fuses under my hood.

Does anyone have any ideas??? Are there more fuse locations on a BMW E36? I'm dying here :(

Sorry to hear about your problem. Your best bet is to download the Bently's E36 repair manual and research it. You can get it here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118575

BTW, does the car have an external amp? If yes, have you checked that?

Good luck....JL

stash182
11-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the manual. I'm sure I can use it for other thigns too.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say external amp, but my head unit has a built in amp. I checked the two fuses on my head's wiring harness as well.

el_duderino
11-12-2005, 11:01 AM
First off, do you have a voltmeter?

Secondly, these cars have an OEM amp in the back - have you bypassed it? If you haven't, check if it's getting power.

Third, which forum helped you more?

stash182
11-13-2005, 01:08 AM
well it turns out that my stock HU does work. So that definitely means the problem is in my new Head Unit, right?