PDA

View Full Version : Got a Whalen shift knob

Plaz
09-10-2002, 12:00 PM
I really dig it. So far, after one day of use, it seems to have eliminated the nasty rattles that surfaced with the UUC SSK. I got the rattles with both the original stock wood knob (horribly noisy), and a second OEM wood knob (better, but still distracting).

It weighs about 18oz., feels very solid, and smooths out shifting nicely. The attachment mechanism really is innovatve for this application -- similar to pneumatic hose attachments you see with certain air tools.

I give it a preliminary :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .

JonM
09-10-2002, 12:08 PM
So you have a UUC short shift kit and a Whalen knob??

We cannot get Whalens to fit on 100% of the UUC products, presumaby because of poor dimensional quality control on UUC's part. Had to turn 2 guys away at HC because the Whalen would not mate with their UUC shifters. The problem may be on the Whalen end of the deal, but I don't have data to support it one way or the other yet.

Did you get polished or brushed? Brushed is pretty close to OEM Matte Chrome.

Polished:
http://www.leatherz.com/art/whalenbeige.jpg

classy man
09-10-2002, 12:16 PM
Now that is one kool shifter man. I give that a :thumbz up: too. I need one of thos man :D

Plaz
09-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by JonM
So you have a UUC short shift kit and a Whalen knob??

We cannot get Whalens to fit on 100% of the UUC products, presumaby because of poor dimensional quality control on UUC's part. Had to turn 2 guys away at HC because the Whalen would not mate with their UUC shifters. The problem may be on the Whalen end of the deal, but I don't have data to support it one way or the other yet.

Did you get polished or brushed? Brushed is pretty close to OEM Matte Chrome.

Interesting. Yes, mine fit fine on my UUC SSK. It sat a little high at first, before I realized I simply hadn't pushed it in all the way. But now it is seated perfectly, just like the picture above. (except it's a 330i with a black boot) :D

I got the polished.

in_d_haus
09-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Darn, that thing looks HUGE! :yikes:

JonM
09-10-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

Whalen on left, stock knob on right.

http://www.leatherz.com/art/whalenversusstock.jpg

Cavallino is a little bit smaller diameter... Maybe 1/4" or 1/2".

EDIT: But overall height of a Cavalino is MORE than a Whalen.

scottn2retro
09-10-2002, 02:07 PM

Looks huge because it's so close to the shift cover :D

whamac
09-11-2002, 06:07 PM
I'm trying to find someone with a UUC lever and access to a 1" micrometer, to do some measuring for me.

No luck yet.

How 'bout it? Do you happen to know any toolmakers or machinists who might loan you one of their "expensive" tools, so you could get me some measurements?

I need to resolve the fit question.

Plaz
09-11-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by whamac
I'm trying to find someone with a UUC lever and access to a 1" micrometer, to do some measuring for me.

No luck yet.

How 'bout it? Do you happen to know any toolmakers or machinists who might loan you one of their "expensive" tools, so you could get me some measurements?

Unless scottn2retro or Hack have one, I don't know anyone with access to such a device... but I'd be happy to oblige.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-11-2002, 06:24 PM
Looks nice! :thumbup:

Total opposite of what I want, though... I may put a short shift kit in... But the real goal of doing so would be to allow me to RAISE the shift knob. Ideally, I'd like mine 1-2" taller with about 4" throw 1-2.

whamac
09-11-2002, 06:25 PM
OK, thanks.

Worst-case scenario, if I don't find someone, I might just send you one of my mikes to use.

I'll let you know.

Glad you like the knob, BTW!!!!!

johnlew
09-11-2002, 06:35 PM

Whalen on left, stock knob on right.

http://www.leatherz.com/art/whalenversusstock.jpg

Cavallino is a little bit smaller. Maybe 1/4" or 1/2".

Nice picture of you! I think.

whamac
09-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd

Total opposite of what I want, though... I may put a short shift kit in... But the real goal of doing so would be to allow me to RAISE the shift knob. Ideally, I'd like mine 1-2" taller with about 4" throw 1-2.

How tall would you like?

Custom machine work is my specialty! I could make one of my shift knobs with a stem as long as you want, if you're interested.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-11-2002, 07:02 PM

How tall would you like?

Custom machine work is my specialty! I could make one of my shift knobs with a stem as long as you want, if you're interested.

I appreciate the offer, and if I should ever install a short shift kit, I'll be sure to contact you. Unfortunately, with the current shifter, height I want puts my hand into the center console. :p

Mr. The Edge
09-11-2002, 07:04 PM

Polished:
http://www.leatherz.com/art/whalenbeige.jpg

for some reason, that pic makes me think about a bris I once attended :eek:

JonM
09-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by johnlew

Nice picture of you! I think.

Pssst. I am bald as a pin. I could not be any more bald actually.

All Whalen knob pics are customer-provided. Most pics on are site are taken by customers and sent to us.

johnlew
09-11-2002, 07:09 PM

Pssst. I am bald as a pin. I could not be any more bald actually.

All Whalen knob pics are customer-provided. Most pics on are site are taken by customers and sent to us.

Hence, the I think part. :)

nate
09-11-2002, 07:39 PM

EXACTLY

I have always wondered why people buy shorter shift knobs. The ideal performance position is level with the hand position on the steering wheel with a very short throw.

But, it is not comfortable at all there...

Mr. The Edge
09-11-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

EXACTLY

I have always wondered why people buy shorter shift knobs. The ideal performance position is level with the hand position on the steering wheel with a very short throw.

my stock (shift) knob is rather tall

nate
09-11-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by atyclb

my stock (shift) knob is rather tall

Yes, I'm happy for you

Would you like a cookie?

Mr. The Edge
09-11-2002, 08:14 PM

Yes, I'm happy for you

Would you like a cookie?

yes. this will do:

http://members.roadfly.com/atyclb2/cookie.jpg

eugeneDC/TX
09-11-2002, 09:36 PM

EXACTLY

the latest civc si has the shifter up where the climate control on our cars are...

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-11-2002, 09:44 PM
I've also been contemplating pulling the armrest. Half of my desire for height comes from that damned thing... (Which also jams my elbow up into my shoulder.) :p

nate
09-11-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

the latest civc si has the shifter up where the climate control on our cars are...

Yea, It looks like a good location

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2002/honda_civic_si/02.honda.civicsi.int.500.jpg

check your PMs...

nate
09-11-2002, 09:46 PM
I've also been contemplating pulling the armrest. Half of my desire for height comes from that damned thing... (Which also jams my elbow up into my shoulder.) :p

That doesn't look like an easy prospect and I think that I am lazy enough to want the armrest enough not to permanently remove it ;)

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-11-2002, 09:48 PM

That doesn't look like an easy prospect and I think that I am lazy enough to want the armrest enough not to permanently remove it ;)

Yeah... Plus, I'm ambivalent about sourcing the part. :p

operknockity
09-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Nice knob :thumbup:

Anyone happen to have a picture like that with the Whalen, stock, and the RK1, RK2 and RK3 knobs? I can't decide and a side-by-side picture of them all would help a lot.

operknockity
09-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by atyclb
for some reason, that pic makes me think about a bris I once attended :eek:

Ouch:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Plaz
09-11-2002, 11:17 PM

Yea, It looks like a good location

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2002/honda_civic_si/02.honda.civicsi.int.500.jpg

Yikes! I dunno... that just seems wacky for wackiness' sake to me. :dunno:

scottn2retro
09-12-2002, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Plaz

Unless scottn2retro or Hack have one, I don't know anyone with access to such a device... but I'd be happy to oblige.

I no got. Best bet (as usual) is HACK. :)

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 07:36 AM

No luck yet.

I've got a set of Mics...drive on up here and we can check it.

scottn2retro
09-12-2002, 07:42 AM

Uh, haus, whamac is in Illinois (you probably realize that - was that an open invitation to anyone with a UUC lever?) Anybody near haus got a UUC lever? :dunno:

Guest84
09-12-2002, 07:48 AM
Looks great! Don't buy Momo shift knobs that are leather covered, my leather came off in about 3 months! :yikes: Inferior product.

Plaz
09-12-2002, 08:00 AM

I wish I had the time... LA <--> Seattle can be one heck of a beautiful drive. :D