PDA

View Full Version : Went to Audi A4 Cabrio Ride 'N Drive today...

Jon Shafer
09-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Next to the 330Cic and the CLK, Audi's got something of a
contender here.

Less of an "enthusiast's car", but still a nice ride.

Will post pics and my observations later tonite when I get home...

AF
09-10-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Jon Shafer
Next to the 330Cic and the CLK, Audi's got something of a
contender here.

Less of an "enthusiast's car", but still a nice ride.

Will post pics and my observations later tonite when I get home...

It's a beauty . . . too bad you can't get quattro and a stick :mad:

Jeff_DML
09-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Alan F

It's a beauty . . . too bad you can't get quattro and a stick :mad:

They offer a stick in Europe with it but no quattro yet. I happen to agree with AudiNA on this one. The CVT is supposed to be a good transmission and I assume 99% of convertibles would be bought with a auto anyways. Thus FWD with CVT.

Jeff

Jon Shafer
09-10-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Jeff_DML

They offer a stick in Europe with it but no quattro yet. I happen to agree with AudiNA on this one. The CVT is supposed to be a good transmission and I assume 99% of convertibles would be bought with a auto anyways. Thus FWD with CVT.

Jeff

The new A4 Cabriolet was really a treat to drive...
The car is absolutely gorgeous - and no doubt will appeal
to a lot of convertible buyers. Especially women...

The fit & finish is 1st class all the way; the leather seating may even be superior to what we have with the "non-M" E46 BMW Convertibles... The interior sound level in the cabin is remarkably quiet too; Audi now is using a sort of foam-injection process within the body panels to keep the noise to a minimum. The insulation in the convertible top itself was noticeably thicker than what we have with the BMW as well.

Another standout aspect of the new Cabriolet is the stiffness
of the chassis. Convertibles are not usually known for their
structural rigidity, but the new A4 is truly exceptional!
You guys will appreciate this engineering feat: the convertible
A4 actually weighs significantly less than its' sedan counterpart... How'd they do that?? ;)

The only shortcoming (and it's not really a major one unless
you are a real "driver") is the less satisfying lack of road feel/feedback that comes with a Front Track automobile.

The Multitronic CVT transmission works beautifully, and in
the tiptronic mode (6-speed auto) can put a grin on your face.

What this car really needs is the bi-turbo 2.7 motor, quattro
AWD, and a 6-speed manual gearbox, and then I might consider
buying one for my wife...

:D

Jon Shafer
09-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Damn!

AF
09-11-2002, 04:04 AM
your pictures aren't working . . .

Josh (PA)
09-11-2002, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the writeup Jon, can you fix your pictures please? I'd really like to see them

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)
Thanks for the writeup Jon, can you fix your pictures please? I'd really like to see them

Today, the "new" cuttermotors.com website will be launched,
and our site(s) are all being moved to another host...

The pics that I loaded up last night worked then, but are
obviously down now...

:-/

I guess that I'll attach them one-by-one here.

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:04 AM
This one was Brilliant Black, with Vanilla leather...

johnlew
09-11-2002, 08:06 AM

Today, the "new" cuttermotors.com website will be launched,
and our site(s) are all being moved to another host...

The pics that I loaded up last night worked then, but are
obviously down now...

:-/

I guess that I'll attach them one-by-one here.

Y'know. I gotta say I find the front less than inspiring. Reminds me of a Lexus LS430.

johnlew
09-11-2002, 08:07 AM
And I don't like the chrome windshield frame.

Guest84
09-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Nice looking, but reminds me of a bic lighter, disposible after so many "flicks" (unreliable)

I hear these kind of stories ALL the time, and I've owned an Audi, it was undriveable by 65,000 miles.

..."not if my experience is anything to go by, we bought a 98 series A4 (new release) and had so many problems I eventually had to sell it. Audi did not want to know."
Ref. thread in another OT forum:
http://agw.warbirdsiii.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9838&pagenumber=2

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:10 AM
For some reason, the board software won't let me load too many jpegs at once. If somebody follows up each one of my pics with a post, then I'll be able to upload all of them in sequence...

Josh (PA)
09-11-2002, 08:13 AM
I didn't like the chrome window on my current Cab and I like it even less on this one.

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:14 AM

nate
09-11-2002, 08:20 AM
How does it compare to, say, a 3er auto convertible?

And, what's with the chrome windshield? :confused: :eek:

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
How does it compare to, say, a 3er auto convertible?

And, what's with the chrome windshield? :confused: :eek:

Well, Nate, it was, after all, an Audi event, so of course,
it compared most favorably...

;)

These guys hate it when me an my (BMW) cronies show up....

:lmao:

nate
09-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Is that a 330Cic SP with 18s? I would expect them to use an automatic, non-sport 325Cic.

Anyway, does the car look as brick-like in person as it does in that picture?

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:36 AM
Is that a 330Cic SP with 18s? I would expect them to use an automatic, non-sport 325Cic.

Anyway, does the car look as brick-like in person as it does in that picture?

They picked a loaded 330Cic to compare it to - perhaps
to accentuate Audi's price/value advantage...

The car looked pretty good Nate.

DougDogs
09-11-2002, 08:36 AM
The one thing I don't like about the new A4 styling is that, from my rearview mirror, I can't tell the difference anymore if an A6 is "stalking" me or if it is an A4.

With that chrome windshield support, I'll never mistake that car for an A6

nate
09-11-2002, 08:37 AM
What does it cost?

And, it does look brick-like :p

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by DougDogs
The one thing I don't like about the new A4 styling is that, from my rearview mirror, I can't tell the difference anymore if an A6 is "stalking" me or if it is an A4.

With that chrome windshield support, I'll never mistake that car for an A6

Very true Doug...

DougDogs
09-11-2002, 08:43 AM
I like the new dash:thumbup: much nicer than my 1999 A6...the circle air vents go much nicer with the guages and headlight switch

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by DougDogs
I like the new dash:thumbup: much nicer than my 1999 A6...the circle air vents go much nicer with the guages and headlight switch

Audi's interiors are top-notch...

Guest84
09-11-2002, 08:48 AM
What does it cost?

And, it does look brick-like :p

A 2002 A4 Convertible is $42,160 (TMV-Edmunds)

nate
09-11-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort

A 2002 A4 Convertible is $42,160 (TMV-Edmunds)

About the same as the 330Cic!

I think I would go with the BMW :thumbup:

johnlew
09-11-2002, 08:50 AM

Hey, what's that great looking silver car on the right?

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by johnlew

Hey, what's that great looking silver car on the right?

A "test mule"???

:lmao:

Hey - who's this geek?

johnlew
09-11-2002, 08:52 AM
Sorry, the ensuing pics don't make me like it any better. How's rear seat leg room, as bad as the CLK?

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:55 AM
Sorry, the ensuing pics don't make me like it any better. How's rear seat leg room, as bad as the CLK?

Rear seat leg room is nothing to brag about in any of these cars...

IndyMike
09-11-2002, 08:56 AM

Audi's interiors are top-notch...
It might be a picky matter, but am I the only one that thinks that steering wheel has got to go?

Is that mug standard on Audi's?

I don't know; it just doesn't look very comfortable to me.

Of course, maybe I'm just spoiled. :dunno:

Guest84
09-11-2002, 08:58 AM
Jon, you speaking of the A4 legroom?

Personal observance on the 330Ci:
A friend, my wife and I went for a drive, my friend is 6' and adjusted the seat accordingly, I sat behind him comfortably (I'm 6'1", well, probably shrinking now..) however, due to the seat back, I wouldn't want to go on a all day trip in that back seat...but plenty of leg room for me.

Guest84
09-11-2002, 08:59 AM

About the same as the 330Cic!

I think I would go with the BMW :thumbup:

Yep! The 330CiC is $42,722 TMV.

johnlew
09-11-2002, 09:02 AM

Rear seat leg room is nothing to brag about in any of these cars...

My kids 12, 10 do very well in mine. I even tried sitting in back with my wife in front and both of us could be comfortable enough for say 1/2 hour? I'm 6', she's 5'4". Certainly good for any local trips. Kids can go long distance.

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by IndyMike

It might be a picky matter, but am I the only one that thinks that steering wheel has got to go?

Of course, maybe I'm just spoiled. :dunno:

Mike - I've always hated Audi Steering wheels...

Someone please explain this one to me:
A "tiptronic" with no shift buttons/levers on the wheel???
:dunno:

Paging Vince!!! :)

Shafe's analysis:

Audi will sell every last one of them; buyers (the majority of them female) will pay MSRP for at least the first year. Personally, I think that they (Volkswagen Of America) are totally blowing it
by "launching" the car in the Fall. (not convertible sales "season")
E46 converts came out in the Spring. Hail to the brain trust of our retail organization...

The new A4 cab is surely a better prospect than say the Volvo,
the Saab, or a Chrysler Sebring...

:thumbup:

Hey - I'm a BMW guy, what can I say??

Jeff_DML
09-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Since I am a Audi and Bimmer guy I will chip in.

The picture is the non-sport steering wheel. The Audi sport steering wheel is good and is pretty equivalent to the M3 wheel. A lot better then the standard 3 series sport wheel.

My guess is the $42k Audi has a lot more standard options then the $42k 330Cic.

Jeff

Jeff_DML
09-11-2002, 09:51 AM

I hear these kind of stories ALL the time, and I've owned an Audi, it was undriveable by 65,000 miles.

My A4 has about 64,000 miles :yikes:

IndyMike
09-11-2002, 09:59 AM
Since I am a Audi and Bimmer guy I will chip in.

The picture is the non-sport steering wheel. The Audi sport steering wheel is good and is pretty equivalent to the M3 wheel. A lot better then the standard 3 series sport wheel.

Thanks for the info, Jeff. I guess most females won't mind the non-sport wheel. That is as long as it doesn't cause 'em to break a nail. :eeps: :angel:

Probably. But one big downer for me with Audi is that there is no ED program (at least they don't advertise if there is in fact one).

I like the ED savings and being able to drive it on roads that they were engineered for. Add to that the fact I have family over there and all things being equal I'll always take BMW over Audi.

Guest84
09-11-2002, 10:05 AM

Jeff

I'll take reliability over standard features anyday. After all, the standard features would have to be reliable to work correctly.

Even though BMW 3-series was not stellar during this time frame on the charts below (1993-97), Audi's A4 had a failing grade completely during the same time. (I'm still searching for recent reliability tables)

http://home.earthlink.net/~ripsnort/BMW/RelGrHiStandardsAudiTable.gif
http://home.earthlink.net/~ripsnort/BMW/RelGrHiStandardsBMWTable.gif

Josh (PA)
09-11-2002, 10:12 AM

I'll take reliability over standard features anyday. After all, the standard features would have to be reliable to work correctly.

Even though BMW 3-series was not stellar during this time frame on the charts below (1993-97), Audi's A4 had a failing grade completely during the same time. (I'm still searching for recent reliability tables)

All I can say to this is the 1994 Audi in my sig below just turned over 175k miles this week. So far the only major failure was the water pump. The fuel gauge doesn't work anymore and one window switch doesn't work. Other than that it's perfect. I guess not all Audis are made the same, or I got lucky and got a really good one:dunno:

Guest84
09-11-2002, 10:15 AM

All I can say to this is the 1994 Audi in my sig below just turned over 175k miles this week. So far the only major failure was the water pump. The fuel gauge doesn't work anymore and one window switch doesn't work. Other than that it's perfect. I guess not all Audis are made the same, or I got lucky and got a really good one:dunno:

Yep, who knows...statistics can be skewed as well (Just ask the politicians! :p )

One example of randomness is the rattles folks get in there BMW 3-series, while not a serious thing, it can factor into statistics.

I may have gotten the only "rattle-free" 3-series, maybe I just got lucky? :dunno: :angel:

johnlew
09-11-2002, 10:17 AM

One example of randomness is the rattles folks get in there BMW 3-series, while not a serious thing, it can factor into statistics.

what rattles?

Guest84
09-11-2002, 10:29 AM

what rattles?

None here...but if you read several boards, you'll see its *apparently* inherent in 3-series...

Zaphod
09-11-2002, 10:39 AM

Mike - I've always hated Audi Steering wheels...

Someone please explain this one to me:
A "tiptronic" with no shift buttons/levers on the wheel???

Paging Vince!!! :)

Shafe's analysis:

Audi will sell every last one of them; buyers (the majority of them female) will pay MSRP for at least the first year. Personally, I think that they (Volkswagen Of America) are totally blowing it
by "launching" the car in the Fall. (not convertible sales "season")
E46 converts came out in the Spring. Hail to the brain trust of our retail organization...

The new A4 cab is surely a better prospect than say the Volvo,
the Saab, or a Chrysler Sebring...

:thumbup:

Hey - I'm a BMW guy, what can I say??

I agree on the fall "launch" being a mistake. Same mistake that BMW is making with the Z4.

Up here in New England we are expecting to see the first Z4 in November. Not exactly convertable weather here. :dunno:

johnlew
09-11-2002, 10:46 AM
Anyone else dislike the Audi marque as I do? the OOOO

Jeff_DML
09-11-2002, 01:37 PM

Same here so far, fingers crossed. We havent had our bimmer long enough but I would say it is not any more reliable then our Audi. If I wanted reliable I would of bought a Japanese car
:D , I figure all German cars are about the same.

As for brand loyalty, whatever car company builds a car that fits my needs is good for me.

Jeff

ObD
09-11-2002, 04:45 PM

Steering wheel looks like crap. Ditto for the mug. Looks about as fun as an operating room. The 330Cic looks much better, though after owning a bimmer I'm a tad biased. ;)

IndyMike
09-11-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by ObD
The 330Cic looks much better, though after owning a bimmer I'm a tad biased. ;)
Yah! Next thing you know ObD you'll be getting a Touring with your beloved 73's on it. Then the transformation will be complete.

xs3x
09-11-2002, 05:41 PM
where's that road? it looks familiar!

Jeff_DML
09-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by xs3x

Yea John, what road is that? The one to Lake Cachuma?

ObD
09-11-2002, 06:01 PM

Yah! Next thing you know ObD you'll be getting a Touring with your beloved 73's on it. Then the transformation will be complete.

:mad: Never! :D

IndyMike
09-11-2002, 06:07 PM
Snip...........Cachuma

Gesundheit, Jeff! :D

3seriesbimmer
09-11-2002, 08:02 PM
love the new A4 just wish audi would provide better options for drivetrain setup. I love the alum window support trim.... very unique touch. Audi is still top notch in interior materials as well.

Jon Shafer
09-11-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by xs3x

That's Mulholland Hwy that runs along the top of the Santa Monica
Mountains...

Amazing how similar Southern CA mountain roads look...

xs3x
09-11-2002, 08:17 PM
you guys went FAR!!!!
I'm still in searching for some nice rodes in santa barbara..:cry:

rbright
09-12-2002, 07:03 AM
For me, a MAJOR drawback of the Audi was the lack of a modern, Map-based Navigation system.

It might sound petty, but I was having trouble, at first, deciding between the Audi and the BMW, but once I found out about Audi's DUMB little arrow on the instrument panel, it was a no-brainer decision. I didn't even bother driving an Audi because they could not fit all my needs.

The bonus was that BMW upgraded to the DVD-based Navi this year, and that closed the sale.

Josh (PA)
09-12-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by rbright
For me, a MAJOR drawback of the Audi was the lack of a modern, Map-based Navigation system.

It might sound petty, but I was having trouble, at first, deciding between the Audi and the BMW, but once I found out about Audi's DUMB little arrow on the instrument panel, it was a no-brainer decision. I didn't even bother driving an Audi because they could not fit all my needs.

The bonus was that BMW upgraded to the DVD-based Navi this year, and that closed the sale.

The biggest drawback of Audi's for me is in my area EVERY dealer sucks. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my BMW dealer, but I've had serious problems with the sales and service departments of all 3 Audi dealerships near me.

Guest84
09-12-2002, 08:36 AM
What really torques me is, Audi's designs are awesome! If I hadn't already owned one (and been burned) I probably would have bought one on appearance alone...then again, maybe not. I tend to research the hell out of major purchases before purchasing now that I'm older...(shrugs)

Jeff_DML
09-12-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by rbright

Audi has a map based navigation system, NAV plus, but they only offer it in Europe for some dumb reason.

Jeff

rbright
09-12-2002, 09:50 AM

Audi has a map based navigation system, NAV plus, but they only offer it in Europe for some dumb reason.

Jeff

Thus my point, Jeff. As far as I am concerned Audi does NOT have a map-based Navi system. If it is not available here, then it does me absolutely no good at all and it might as well not exist.

Thanks for letting me know about the Navi-plus though. Maybe in 5 years they will see that they missed out on a lot of sales because of it and bring it over here.

Jeff_DML
09-12-2002, 09:53 AM
Hopefully Audi NA reads these car boards and recognizes their mistakes and corrects them:D

Actually some people have retro-fitted the nav-plus in their audi's.

Jeff

obLu
09-12-2002, 10:28 AM
While everybody's nit picking everything about the Audi and conveniently forgetting everything wrong with their own car; I'd thought I'd add my $.02

The Fall launch isn't a negative....since this will no doubt be an order-only car just like the 325/330cic (finding one on a lot with the right options will be downright impossible) by the time the cars make it to the dealer, it will be spring. Instead of, like me, ordering in the spring only to have the car show up in the fall and have to wait until the next summer to really enjoy the car.

I don't think I've ever seen an Audi in my area that wasn't a quattro...FWD only on the convertible might prove to be a mistake, at least in markets where Audi and Subaru are popular because of all wheel drive.

My wife loves Audi interiors, and if it weren't for her demand that we have a truck/suv in the household (hell if I'm going to drive it), she'd be driving an A4. She says my interior looks cheap and cheezy. :dunno: Can someone explain? As soon as she's one of these she's going to give me no end of grief.