PDA

View Full Version : Power to center armrest

Tanning machine
11-14-2005, 07:53 PM
I've installed the aux-in for my iPod into the center console (using the euro tray). I'd like to try to get power there too, so i can charge. (not too keen on the dangling cig. lighter cord). Is it easy to run power under the center console that I can tap into, hiding the cig. adapter under the armrest (or just cutting it off altogether)? I'm handy with electricity, but haven't done any wiring in my car.

ideas?

TLudwig
11-14-2005, 10:39 PM
I've installed the aux-in for my iPod into the center console (using the euro tray). I'd like to try to get power there too, so i can charge. (not too keen on the dangling cig. lighter cord). Is it easy to run power under the center console that I can tap into, hiding the cig. adapter under the armrest (or just cutting it off altogether)? I'm handy with electricity, but haven't done any wiring in my car.

ideas?

Check out this recent thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119273) started by KrisL, who recently installed a USB port to power his cell phone. Since the iPod powers off of a USB port, this should be perfect for you. Probably want to check with Kris, but it doesn't look like it would be too difficult of an install, except for the dremel work. :thumbup:

Tanning machine
11-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Check out this recent thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119273) started by KrisL, who recently installed a USB port to power his cell phone. Since the iPod powers off of a USB port, this should be perfect for you. Probably want to check with Kris, but it doesn't look like it would be too difficult of an install, except for the dremel work. :thumbup:

Thanks. Don't even need a Dremel for what I'm doing.

The only thing I need to do is connect a power source to the power adapter in a way that's clean, neat, and safe. Any tips on how to make those connections? Is it super easy?

SRFast
11-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks. Don't even need a Dremel for what I'm doing.

The only thing I need to do is connect a power source to the power adapter in a way that's clean, neat, and safe. Any tips on how to make those connections? Is it super easy?

I suggest you tap into the phone kit/power source under the center arm rest. If you remove the center console cupholders, you'll see an unused 18/20 pin connector. Using a voltmeter/multimeter, confirm the "red" wire is 12v and tap into that. You can probably route thei Pod power cable to a suitable location without any drilling.

Hope this helps....JL

cpfleider
11-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Just get the auxiliary power adapter (p/n 82 11 0 004 073) ... plugs into your flashlight charging receptacle on your globe compartment. Only $10 bucks!

BillP
11-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Just get the auxiliary power adapter (p/n 82 11 0 004 073) ... plugs into your flashlight charging receptacle on your globe compartment. Only $10 bucks!

Running a wire between the glove box and the center console would also serve as a supplementary seat belt for the front seat passenger. Brilliant!

Bill