PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Newbie Questions..but I love this board!

bbusick
11-15-2005, 06:39 AM
All,

First thanks to those that are willing to help out a newb. I was an advocate of this on my old boxster boards but I've made the switch...I dove into a 1998 M3 convertible. Here are my questions:

1.) Automatic Stability Control: Should I leave this on at all times (so that the light on my cluster is illuminated?) Are there any performance issues associated with leaving it on?

2.) Mods: My car is an automatic...(I know I know...but it was a requirement so my wife can drive it.) Is a performance chip even worth the $$$$?

3.) Cold air intakes...are they worth it on the m3? If so, please tell me which one!

4.) Dealership vs. local mechanic...my car has 74K on it and is in great shape, I have all the paperwork but I'd like to get your thoughts on where to get the work done...

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

BEB

LDV330i
11-15-2005, 07:18 AM
1.) Automatic Stability Control: Should I leave this on at all times (so that the light on my cluster is illuminated?) Are there any performance issues associated with leaving it on?

If the light is on it means that the ASC is off. It will light momentarily when conditions require it to intrude to indicate it is active.

tamum3
11-16-2005, 08:14 AM

2.) Mods: My car is an automatic...(I know I know...but it was a requirement so my wife can drive it.) Is a performance chip even worth the $$$$?

3.) Cold air intakes...are they worth it on the m3? If so, please tell me which one!

4.) Dealership vs. local mechanic...my car has 74K on it and is in great shape, I have all the paperwork but I'd like to get your thoughts on where to get the work done...

1) It's more fun with it off :D ....if your not pushing the car then their is no point to turn it off.

2) You would be getting software that is flashed since you car is OBD2, it doesnt use a chip. The most gains are seen when you add an intake and exhaust to the software. Otherwise it doesn't do much at all.

3) Depends on what you want (long tube vs short). I've got the Dinan Carbon Fiber one...it's got a nice deep sound to it. Would recommend Active Autowerke or Conforti for the short tube intake and Cosmos (guy on bimmerforums sells it) for long tube.

4) Do the work yourself if you can...you get to know your car better. Also it doesn't hurt to get to know a good local Bmw shop. They will save you money and will generally take better care of your car.

bbusick
11-16-2005, 08:31 AM
I appreciate the feedback and the great words of wisdom. Thanks again!

Pinecone
11-16-2005, 04:46 PM
1) My suggestion, and the way I drive is ASC or DSC ON while on the street, off on the track.

2 & 3) Not a lot of performance available on OBD II cars (96 or later) with simple mods ,like intake, exhaust and chip. Some but not huge gains. BTW there isa auto "chip" reprogram the shifting of the tranny to make ot more sporty.

4) If you have a good indy BMW mechanic available, use them. They will probably be cheaper and do a better job than most dealers, unfortunately.

Perculator00
12-07-2005, 11:30 PM
you can still make the OBDII perform up to, prolly even outperform the OBDI S50.....getting the OBDI manifold is golden...

rrsperry
12-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Change the differential to a 3.91 and sell your old 3.38. Best performance mod you could do for an automatic.

Pinecone
12-08-2005, 11:04 PM
And send the 3.38 to my house. :)