PDA

View Full Version : ACC Failure warning

kd2789mo
11-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Has anyone had/seen this warning?
It said "ACC Failure [Adaptive Cruise Control] Maintain Safe Following Dist"
It was a Stage 2/Yellow caution, and shut-off the cruise control, which was active at the time.
The cruise control would not enable until after an engine stop/restart, then the warning cleared, and the ACC operated normally again.
Thanks

Malibubimmer
11-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Has anyone had/seen this warning?
It said "ACC Failure [Adaptive Cruise Control] Maintain Safe Following Dist"
It was a Stage 2/Yellow caution, and shut-off the cruise control, which was active at the time.
The cruise control would not enable until after an engine stop/restart, then the warning cleared, and the ACC operated normally again.
Thanks
I have had a Mercedes CL55 for 4 years with "Distronic," the Mercedes version of ACC. Everyone once in a while, when I used Distronic on long trips (I rarely use it any more, in L.A.), it would get confused and turn itself off, returning control of the car to me. This usually happened, for some strange reason, when I was traveling through Stockton on I-5, between L.A. and Reno. The BMW system, like the Mercedes system, uses radar signals. Sometimes the Mercedes' system gets overloaded and shuts off. Or, it reads anomalous signals and shuts off.

While I can't speak definitively for the BMW system, I suspect it is doing the same thing. If it happens occasionally I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens a lot you may have a malfunctioning system or you may need to have the radar re-calibrated.

One downside to Distroinic, I found out too late, was that whenever I wanted to have my front wheels aligned it would cost me $600 at the dealer, because the radar has to be re-aligned, too.