PDA

View Full Version : Finding Forrester

MT head
09-11-2002, 10:00 AM
Sorry if this is a rehash, but there is a scene in this movie that goes into some detail about the BMW logo and its affiliation with Luftwaffe engine production. How much of this was true?

in_d_haus
09-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by MT head
Sorry if this is a rehash, but there is a scene in this movie that goes into some detail about the BMW logo and its affiliation with Luftwaffe engine production. How much of this was true?

Don't remember the exact scene but the "Roundel" is actually a propeller. BMW started as an engine manufacturer for aircraft.

in_d_haus
09-11-2002, 10:06 AM
Look here:

http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/pulse/heritage/history/

classy man
09-11-2002, 12:31 PM
I've heard this one too. sadly though, that is just hollywood drama made for the big screen. bmw didn't manufacture many airplane engines in wwII. The blue/white round crest is an impeller blade on a water pump. The blue is the water. The white is the blade. Bmw built many irrigation pumps for use in holland during the war to dry out the land the germans were taking. that's where the hood crest came from. many died in the wool bmw men don't weant to hear this. this is from a reliable source though.

Guest84
09-11-2002, 12:40 PM
ROTFLOL! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :eeps: :angel:

in_d_haus
09-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by classy man
I've heard this one too. sadly though, that is just hollywood drama made for the big screen. bmw didn't manufacture many airplane engines in wwII. The blue/white round crest is an impeller blade on a water pump. The blue is the water. The white is the blade. Bmw built many irrigation pumps for use in holland during the war to dry out the land the germans were taking. that's where the hood crest came from. many died in the wool bmw men don't weant to hear this. this is from a reliable source though.

Ya can't blame them. they were doing their part for the war effort by keeping an occupied country clear of flooding...who wants to invade a cold swampland? :D

MT head
09-11-2002, 12:44 PM
I wasn't sure it was legit. I hoped it was, cause I think the Nazi's had the coolest planes.

in_d_haus
09-11-2002, 12:46 PM
I wasn't sure it was legit. I hoped it was, cause I think the Nazi's had the coolest planes.

It is "Classy" is just trying to stir the pot.
The "D" model 190 rocks!

classy man
09-11-2002, 12:53 PM
i agrre MTHead, especially the one-O-nine series. Now those were kewl planes. i think they were builded by messersmith. much better then the british planes especially the spit fire.

classy man
09-11-2002, 12:55 PM
ripsnort I take it you think i'm full of mud? check the facts buster.

Guest84
09-11-2002, 12:57 PM
I would, but I dying here at my desk, tears streaming, ya bastige! :lmao:

Crummey2M4
09-11-2002, 01:00 PM
BMW made motors for the NAZIES??????
WTF???????'
I guess Im not buying a bimer now :(

Guest84
09-11-2002, 01:19 PM
LOL! Okay, scratch Toyota, Honda, Subaru ( :yikes: ) and about a dozen others off your list since the Japanese bombed P.H. ! :D

MT head
09-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Weren't all Germans Nazis during WW2?

I heard they were from my teacher.

Imola Ed
09-11-2002, 02:21 PM
*thwap*

(that's the sound of me slapping my forehead)

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-11-2002, 02:48 PM
BEEMER!

Imola Ed
09-11-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
BEEMER!

:lmao:

Zaphod
09-11-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Crummey2M4
BMW made motors for the NAZIES??????
WTF???????'
I guess Im not buying a bimer now :(

How much choice do you think they had? :tsk:

DaveN323i
09-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Hey Jon. You reap what you sow.

:lmao: :lmao:

classy man
09-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Well MT, yeah they were. ALL germans as far as I know, were nazies in WWII. they'll try to say 'no they weren't nazies" just like they think the hood crest came from airplane prolpeelers. But if you study up you'll know better. heimrick himler was one of the leading men at bmw from what I recall. Good thing today germany doesn't allow nazies. I wouldn't worry much about buying a bmw since germany is good now.

Astag
09-11-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by in_d_haus

It is "Classy" is just trying to stir the pot.
The "D" model 190 rocks!

FYI BMW didn't had anything to do with D's engine.

geomax
09-11-2002, 04:25 PM
There was a discussion here some time ago about the VW Beetle. As we all know, the Beetle is one of the most popular cars ever built - yet it's design roots come from none other than Adolph Hitler.

Alex Baumann
09-11-2002, 05:07 PM

I think I must chime in here.

Hey classy act, who sent you ? Are you working for Daimler-Chrysler or what ? ;)

Your 'vast' knowledge about BMW history is amazing. The Allach factory, which was producing airplane engines until 1960 , has even produced turbines for GE used in the F105 Starfighters engines.

In addition to this, by 1944 there were 20.000 workers in the Allach works. You are saying that BMW didn't manufacture many aircraft engines during WWII. What do you think 20.000 men did ? Played blackjack ? Backgammon ?

After the war, the Allies used the factory as a vehicle maintenance facility.

Quandt sold the factory in 1960 to MAN along with a Starfighter engine contract.

As for the roundel (hood crest in your terminology) it is a spinning propeller and nothing else.

So, now dig up your books and read the Beemer ( :D ) history again.

Oh, I would really like to know the name of that book about the water pumps and the related roundel history.

Alex 'Stealth' Baumann

in_d_haus
09-11-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Astag

FYI BMW didn't had anything to do with D's engine.

I know that, thanks. I was just mentioning my fav plane. I had an uncle who flew a Stuka in France then a 109 back in Germany

Imola Ed
09-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
Oh, I would really like to know the name of that book about the water pumps and the related roundel history.

The book is entitled "How to stir up trouble on internet boards by spouting drivel as though it were real." It's written by A. T. Roll.

classy man
09-11-2002, 09:29 PM

I think I must chime in here.

Hey classy act, who sent you ? Are you working for Daimler-Chrysler or what ? ;)

Your 'vast' knowledge about BMW history is amazing. The Allach factory, which was producing airplane engines until 1960 , has even produced turbines for GE used in the F105 Starfighters engines.

In addition to this, by 1944 there were 20.000 workers in the Allach works. You are saying that BMW didn't manufacture many aircraft engines during WWII. What do you think 20.000 men did ? Played blackjack ? Backgammon ?

After the war, the Allies used the factory as a vehicle maintenance facility.

Quandt sold the factory in 1960 to MAN along with a Starfighter engine contract.

As for the roundel (hood crest in your terminology) it is a spinning propeller and nothing else.

So, now dig up your books and read the Beemer ( :D ) history again.

Alex 'Stealth' Baumann

typical hawgwash. you guys need to think for yourselves and not what the gov't shoves down your throtes. i bet if you went to holland you could find what i'm talking about. but hey, just believe the brainwash if thats all you do.

Stuka
09-11-2002, 10:55 PM
I've heard this one too. sadly though, that is just hollywood drama made for the big screen. bmw didn't manufacture many airplane engines in wwII.

BMW made boat loads of luftwaffe engines, BOAT LOADS.

Me262, the first production jet fighter, was equipped with either Junker jet engine, or you guessed it, BMW.

BF-109, FW-190, the Volksjadger, etc. The list is pretty long.

They also made tons of motorcycles with sidecar.

But then, Porsche made the Tiger tank. Mercedes made lots of half track. And law enfrocement's favorite MP-5 is made by the same company that equipped the Waffen SS with the MP-40.

What difference does it make? It's just history. Mitsubish made the Zero.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG

Elfenwolf
09-11-2002, 11:14 PM
Andy, you are a Nazi apologist.

Alex Baumann
09-12-2002, 01:14 AM

typical hawgwash. you guys need to think for yourselves and not what the gov't shoves down your throtes. i bet if you went to holland you could find what i'm talking about. but hey, just believe the brainwash if thats all you do.

This is a cheap answer with no content. And your method of arguing is simply 'avoid the topic, slinge some mud and good to go'

I have supplied some facts, I didn't make this up, this info can be found in any history book written about BMW, no government involved.

Josh (PA)
09-12-2002, 04:35 AM

This is a cheap answer with no content. And your method of arguing is simply 'avoid the topic, slinge some mud and good to go'

I have supplied some facts, I didn't make this up, this info can be found in any history book written about BMW, no government involved.

Deep breath Alex, he's just here to annoy you... Leave it alone.

classy man
09-12-2002, 04:58 AM

it was not a cheep answer. it was all i had time to say at that time. go to your local library and check out a book called "bevariam motor werks: keeping it dry" i think simon shooster is the publisher. sometimes the obvious isn't the answer man, sometimes you got to dig deeper and do some research.

Imola Ed
09-12-2002, 07:36 AM

it was not a cheep answer. it was all i had time to say at that time. go to your local library and check out a book called "bevariam motor werks: keeping it dry" i think simon shooster is the publisher. sometimes the obvious isn't the answer man, sometimes you got to dig deeper and do some research.

:lmao: oh dude, stop it. you have to tell us who you are!

Keepin' it dry,
-- Ed

MT head
09-12-2002, 08:19 AM

I know that, thanks. I was just mentioning my fav plane. I had an uncle who flew a Stuka in France then a 109 back in Germany

Just curious, does it bother you that your uncle was a Nazi?

Monk
09-12-2002, 08:27 AM
hehe

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 08:27 AM

All my family was. Grandpa was with Rommel in Afrika, my other uncle was SS in Ploesti.

My folks didn't come here till '57. Just part of life.

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 08:29 AM

True Story...my moms boss was part of a US aircrew that bombed her hometown flat during the war. She was about 6 years old. When he found out that's where she grew up he apologised over and over for years...

Guest84
09-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Just because Haus clicks his heals when his Boss comes over to his cube doesn't mean he was affected by it all...give him a break. Its a cultural thang. ;)

This thread is too funny!

Monk
09-12-2002, 08:35 AM

True Story...my moms boss was part of a US aircrew that bombed her hometown flat during the war. She was about 6 years old. When he found out that's where she grew up he apologised over and over for years...

Why apologize:dunno:

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Monk

Why apologize:dunno:

Probably because they were supposed to bomb the rail road and missed it completely...but they did hit the hospital...with the nice big red cross painted on it.

Monk
09-12-2002, 08:41 AM

Probably because they were supposed to bomb the rail road and missed it completely...but they did hit the hospital...with the nice big red cross painted on it.

ahh......aint nothin but a thing, crap happans. Just think of all the ones that hit the train station:thumbup:

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Monk

ahh......aint nothin but a thing, crap happans. Just think of all the ones that hit the train station:thumbup:

Yup, I've got pics and a video of it...

Monk
09-12-2002, 08:48 AM

Yup, I've got pics and a video of it...

AHH, maan.......kewl dude:thumbup:

classy man
09-12-2002, 08:50 AM

sounds like he neds to get a clue, think of all the nazies he woulda splattered if he'd hit your family.

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 08:55 AM

sounds like he neds to get a clue, think of all the nazies he woulda splattered if he'd hit your family.

Gee ya, especially sine the guys were all over the place and the only ones in town were the women, children, and elderly...and they don't shoot back...ya, be proud of that "score"! :thumbup:

classy man
09-12-2002, 08:58 AM

Gee ya, especially sine the guys were all over the place and the only ones in town were the women, children, and elderly...and they don't shoot back...ya, be proud of that "score"! :thumbup:

i read that most nazie men ran out in the woods whenever the vombers cirens went off. leving only the other nazies (women chilrden and such to get blown up)

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 09:00 AM

i read that most nazie men ran out in the woods whenever the vombers cirens went off. leving only the other nazies (women chilrden and such to get blown up)

At least they can type...

MT head
09-12-2002, 09:01 AM

My teacher says we blew up hardly any Nazi women or Nazi children. And anyway the Nazi women mostly went to East germany to cheat in the Olympics.

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 09:02 AM

My teacher says we blew up hardly any Nazi women or Nazi children. And anyway the Nazi women mostly went to East germany to cheat in the Olympics.

:lmao: :lmao: :thumbup: I like it MT! probably not too far off..

classy man
09-12-2002, 09:02 AM

At least they can type...

not when they're blown to smitherens

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 09:04 AM

not when they're blown to smitherens

Oh I'm sure even in that state they can do a better job than you...what's your excuse?

Imola Ed
09-12-2002, 09:07 AM
I'm just still amazed that classy man gets any computer time since there's only one computer everyone has to share in TN.

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Imola Ed
I'm just still amazed that classy man gets any computer time since there's only one computer everyone has to share in TN.

Ya but most people in TN can't figure out how to turn it on so "Classy" is a scholar in that area.

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 09:30 AM
So to "really" answer Monks question, No, it doesn't bother me that my family was Nazis because as any educated person knows there were relatively few "true" mambers of the Nazi party in Germany at that time (per capita) EVERYONE had to belong or die...not a tough choice. Yes I had family members in the military fighting against the Allies. They were military men and did their job as ordered just like I did when I was in the US military.

We did not have any family committing atrocities i n concentration camps and actually, before it was blown up, my family helped smuggle jewish refugees out of the country from their home under the nose of the Gestapo officer who lived in their building.

I've got a great story about my dad, 8 years old, and his brother, 6 years old, getting strafed by a P47 while walking down a country road. War is War.

classy man
09-12-2002, 10:00 AM

Oh I'm sure even in that state they can do a better job than you...what's your excuse?

yeah in nazie germany people hasd to make good grades or they were ssytemtacially elimniated. i went through pubic education and even though i'm not a good typer it doesn't mean i'm not twice as smart as you. you think i'm not smart because i dotn type wel?

classy man
09-12-2002, 11:03 AM
So to "really" answer Monks question, No, it doesn't bother me that my family was Nazis because as any educated person knows there were relatively few "true" mambers of the Nazi party in Germany at that time (per capita) EVERYONE had to belong or die...not a tough choice. Yes I had family members in the military fighting against the Allies. They were military men and did their job as ordered just like I did when I was in the US military.

We did not have any family committing atrocities i n concentration camps and actually, before it was blown up, my family helped smuggle jewish refugees out of the country from their home under the nose of the Gestapo officer who lived in their building.

I've got a great story about my dad, 8 years old, and his brother, 6 years old, getting strafed by a P47 while walking down a country road. War is War.

sounds like a typical p47 pilot. they couldn't hit the broadsied of a barn with those things.

dredmo
09-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Im sorry, but Helmut Meinshaft actually invented the roundel, and he named it randell. He was an old miner from the mountains who found out that if you take picture, and turn it into a world famous logo, then youd be cool. the blue represents Slavery in America, and the white represents starving children in indonesia. The cross is ultimate divine proof that there is a god, the circle means round circle thing encompassing us all in a circle and the original letters BMW are, oddly enough, the remmnats of thee words that Gandolf Menishaft, spoke to Helmut on his death bed. He said, and very weirdly he spoke in english, he said, Be My Wife, to his only son helmut. Since then the letters have faded leaving onle BMW.

Monk
09-12-2002, 11:15 AM

sounds like a typical p47 pilot. they couldn't hit the broadsied of a barn with those things.

Hey, I know one guy, from France who flies P47s, or did, or still does......or somthing. He can hit everything;)

classy man
09-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by dredmo
Im sorry, but Helmut Meinshaft actually invented the roundel, and he named it randell. He was an old miner from the mountains who found out that if you take picture, and turn it into a world famous logo, then youd be cool. the blue represents Slavery in America, and the white represents starving children in indonesia. The cross is ultimate divine proof that there is a god, the circle means round circle thing encompassing us all in a circle and the original letters BMW are, oddly enough, the remmnats of thee words that Gandolf Menishaft, spoke to Helmut on his death bed. He said, and very weirdly he spoke in english, he said, Be My Wife, to his only son helmut. Since then the letters have faded leaving onle BMW.

you sir are a lair

Elfenwolf
09-12-2002, 01:05 PM

I understand it was common pratice for underground troops to put a big X on military targets during WW2. Sounds like a tragic mistake.

PropellerHead
09-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Basically, big ol'e thanks for your help in WWI. Way to go gramps. Somebody (Alex?) pointed me to the meaning of this thing and I am eternally grateful- if not just as forgetful..

http://www.my02.com/images/certif.jpg

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 01:42 PM

yeah in nazie germany people hasd to make good grades or they were ssytemtacially elimniated. i went through pubic education and even though i'm not a good typer it doesn't mean i'm not twice as smart as you. you think i'm not smart because i dotn type wel?

No, I'm German, the master race...so I'm better than you just by genetics...I was destined to be better than you from birth. :bigpimp:

classy man
09-12-2002, 02:13 PM

No, I'm German, the master race...so I'm better than you just by genetics...I was destined to be better than you from birth. :bigpimp:

what are oyu a freeking skinhead nazie ?
that's natzie retorick.

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 02:14 PM

what are oyu a freeking skinhead nazie ?
that's natzie retorick.

Ummm...Classy, it's a joke man...jump up and you might catch it next time

Alex Baumann
09-12-2002, 02:28 PM

:lmao: :lmao:

you freakin' German you :D

classy man
09-12-2002, 03:09 PM

Ummm...Classy, it's a joke man...jump up and you might catch it next time

You keep that talk up and i might just have to come over there and light into you like they aint no tomorrow. you'll know you been tanglin when we get done i garantee that boy.

Hungbeemer
09-12-2002, 10:54 PM
Classy, that nasie pinhaid said yer a dumass. You gonna let that scurvy oven stuffen leather lovin crotchless pantie waist schnitzel driver get away with the oreo's?

Elfenwolf
09-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Hungbeemer
Classy, that nasie pinhaid said yer a dumass. You gonna let that scurvy oven stuffen leather lovin crotchless pantie waist schnitzel driver get away with the oreo's?

Yeah, Classy, ignore these guys. I think In-De-Haus is lying about his heritage just to gain esteem among the other skinheads on these bbs. Now he's trolling you cause he knows you're a true American so he's trying to get your goat with that "master race" crap. Just remind them that Chevy powered tanks eventually kicked ass on BMW powered tanks in WW2. That is why we still have American bases in Germany but they don't have German bases in America. It's cause In-De-Haus lost and we won.

classy man
09-13-2002, 05:01 AM
guys i'm sorry. I should not have ripped into in de hous like that. that behavoir is unbecoming a gentelman and franklie doesn't belong on this board. i apologize to in the hous for making him feel threatened if that be teh case./

Civi330i
09-13-2002, 06:58 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

classy man
09-13-2002, 07:23 AM
what is interesting is how "in the house' has gotten silent. he know's i was right and does not have the kajonez to admit where he was mistaken. typical blue blooder tho. i feel sorry for him. :(