PDA

View Full Version : $329 for an iPod installation???

spwriter
11-17-2005, 07:04 AM
After reading all these posts and other sites telling me that an iPod hard wiring for an 06 3 series convertible was going to set me back $149 I went to the dealership this morning to have one installed. They're asking $149 for the part PLUS nearly $200 installation. Does that sound right??? :mad:

TLudwig
11-17-2005, 07:16 AM
At $90 per hour, I guess they're estimating that it's a two hour project. This probably is not the case (depends on where you want your iPod to be located), unless the tech is doing it for the first time, and even then, it probably still isn't a 2 hour install.

Why don't you save the money and DIY? It'll take you a couple of hours, but you'll save that money and you'll enjoy it more knowing that you did it. There are plenty of DIYs out there, and trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.

spwriter
11-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Did you use the BMW OEM equipment, and can you use the controls through the radio?

TLudwig
11-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Did you use the BMW OEM equipment, and can you use the controls through the radio?

I went with the Ice>Link Plus. The total cost for the parts was $200 from Tom @ eas. The install took me about 3 hours (much of that time was spent fishing the cable through under the carpet to the center console), and I have VERY little experience in this type of work. Between the instructions that come with the IceLink and the various instructions from people on this site, pretty much anyone could do this.

With the IceLink, I have full use of my steering wheel controls, radio controls, access to playlists, song titles and artist names scroll on the radio disply, the iPod recharges, etc. It's a little more expensive than the $150 that BMW wants for the OEM unit, but offers more functionality.

fitzarr
11-17-2005, 09:49 AM
After buying the BMW OEM equipment I will recommend using the Ice Link. I've seen post around here talking about it and how to install it. Either one is an easy install but with the OEM you won't get the song names on the radio display. :cry: Both you can control from the radio and steering wheel.
I have the OEM and now I regret not knowing about the Ice Link before I did; having the song names in the radio is very cool (saw it in a friend's 325).
Otherwise, Yes, the dealer charged me around $350 parts and labor. :mad:
I helped my friend install the Ice Link in his car; it took us less than two hours; with no experience at all doing it.

spwriter
11-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Grrr! I may try to call and cancel. Can you hide the iPod unit away out of site somewhere?

TLudwig
11-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Grrr! I may try to call and cancel. Can you hide the iPod unit away out of site somewhere?

Yes, I bought the eurotray, which is a compartment with a rolltop cover that replaces your cupholders. I really like the look of it, and it puts the iPod in a very convenient location. You can also put it in the armrest compartment, the console compartment below your HVAC controls, or in the glove box (I wouldn't recommend this last option because it's too far away for convenient access and the iPod would be more easily scratched).

If you run a search, you can see pictures and instructions for each of these options, which are the same whether you go the IceLink or the OEM route.

spwriter
11-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

TLudwig
11-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

No problem. If you have any other questions or need help with the install, feel free to PM me.

Ernö
11-17-2005, 04:46 PM
I had an OEM BMW iPod adapter, and after 2 months, I tore it out to replace it with an ice>link plus. No regrets. Your job will be far easier than mine since all you have to do is call and cancel your OEM installation ;)

This thread might help draw a comparison:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113801

spwriter
11-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Not quite. In a stroke of incredible coincidence when I called they had just started the installation and couldn't stop it. And even more interestingly, the guy knew this off the top of his head. I had to chuckle and shake my head as I hung up the phone. These guys are good! :)

Actually, as of this second I'm pretty happy with it. The new video iPod plugs into the glovebox and gives me all the functionality of the iPod - except of course no song titles, etc. I can live with that. It's pretty cool. Good sound quality. Of course, now I've invested around $650 including the iPod and adaptor. So my wife is a tiny bit less than happy. It is kind of insane when I look back. More later...

TLudwig
11-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Of course, now I've invested around $650 including the iPod and adaptor. So my wife is a tiny bit less than happy. It is kind of insane when I look back. More later...

Yeah, the gf wasn't too happy with my iPod, accessory, and car-hookup purchases a couple of weeks ago. They were conveniently timed after I explained to her that I couldn't spend that much on something she wanted, too.

Orangefiv5
11-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Only going off what I have heard from other people about the Ipod interface. Almost everyone I know who has put them in there Bimmers said they were unhappy. However all of them installed them there self and I would consider referring to any of them as savey installers but nonetheless they did it themselfs and if they can do it anyone can do it. Just follow the instructions. Good luck

tom @ eas
11-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Get the ice>Link Plus and perform the install yourself. You'll save $$ in the long run and have a much better kit.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/265/eurotrayinstall1cc.jpg