PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for tires in WLA?

LA525iT
11-17-2005, 09:31 AM
I've been to Stokes on Santa Monica and they were okay, nothing special, price and servicewise. bmwtips.com recommends Westcoast Tire on Pontius, but their website is out of date. Would not dare let costco or discount tire touch my rims.

Any thoughts on best place for price and serivce (ie, not screwing up my rims)? Looking for F1 GS-D3s btw.

liuk3
11-17-2005, 09:41 AM
I would order the tires from tirerack.com and have them shipped to Westcoast Tires to mount.

markseven
11-17-2005, 10:40 PM
I've been to Stokes on Santa Monica and they were okay, nothing special, price and servicewise. bmwtips.com recommends Westcoast Tire on Pontius, but their website is out of date. Would not dare let costco or discount tire touch my rims.

Any thoughts on best place for price and serivce (ie, not screwing up my rims)? Looking for F1 GS-D3s btw.
Hey dude, how come no Costco or Discount? Bad experience or word of mouth? As for tirerack, to me they seem worth it if you are buying rims and tires. FWIW, I bought my Yokos at Discount tire. No probs. Funny thing is I'll prolly get my next set from Costco :p :rofl:

-Mark

LA525iT
11-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey dude, how come no Costco or Discount? Bad experience or word of mouth? As for tirerack, to me they seem worth it if you are buying rims and tires. FWIW, I bought my Yokos at Discount tire. No probs. Funny thing is I'll prolly get my next set from Costco :p :rofl:

-Mark

There's lots of stories about Costco or Discount damaging rims. Both here and if you :google:

I liked liuk's advice, I'm going to order from Tirerack (once I finish doing my tire research, but I'm 95% sold on the F1 GS-D3) and have them shipped to Westcoast Tire in WLA.

leej323
12-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Westcoast Tire is cool. Good people. I wouldn't recommend alignment there, though. Last time I went they aligned my car to E36 specs. :eek:

coelacanth
12-11-2005, 01:20 PM

I'm going to get the same pair of shoes for my car soon. I think I'll get them from TireRack, but I'm in the same quandry as you are. I went to Stokes because it's close to my house and because they have a Hunter Roadforce balancer. They are expensive but supposedly good. I was totally turned off to Stokes though because they told me I needed new front brakes (rotors, pads, sensors etc.). Well I got an oil change at Bob Smith BMW and had them look at the front brakes, and while the rotors were lipped (I already knew that before I took it to Stokes) the dealership told me I had plenty of life left in the pads and rotors.
So in conclusion...F Stokes for trying to rob me. As for another shop, I can't find one (looked in TireRack's database) that has a Hunter Roadforce balancer nearby.

I'm not sure how important it is to have the Tires balanced on a Roadforce, I guess I'd just like to find a place that's not trying to rob me.

Here's some infro on West Coast from TireRack:
Mounting Equipment: Coats and Corghi Artiglio Rimclamp
Balancing Equipment: Coats 1050 and 1001

Woodley has a Hunter Balancer:
WOODLEY TIRE CO
Installer since: 01/16/2001

Address:
1330 PICO BLVD
SANTA MONICA, CA 90405-1517
(310) 452-3896

Mounting Equipment: Coats 9010E (Runflat Capable/Touchless)
Balancing Equipment: Hunter 9502

They seem to have good reviews at TireRack.

Good luck and hope you find a good place.