PDA

View Full Version : Tinted windows?

mfeeney05
11-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Just a quick question - why are tinted windows not optional? In my opinion, tinted windows belong on luxury sedans.

NTB
11-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Different States, different Laws.

Go to your local window tinter and get it done for $250, imagine what the dealership would of charged.

my_e36
11-18-2005, 03:47 AM
The new Mini actually has tinted glass as factory option.
(at least in where I live)

Can't understand why it doesn't happen in the standard BMW range.

That said, there's windows blind in 7-series as options though.

jkb
11-18-2005, 04:34 AM
Just a quick question - why are tinted windows not optional? In my opinion, tinted windows belong on luxury sedans.

power shades. much better option - can control them up or down as you wish.

BmW745On19's
11-18-2005, 01:23 PM
As I have stated before, window tinting is for people who want to hide inside their cars and not be seen. Why would you want to hide in a 7er? It's the type of car that you WANT to be seen in. Now, if I bought an S-Class, then i'd tint my windows :D

jkb
11-18-2005, 02:50 PM
As I have stated before, window tinting is for people who want to hide inside their cars and not be seen. Why would you want to hide in a 7er? It's the type of car that you WANT to be seen in. Now, if I bought an S-Class, then i'd tint my windows :D

i take it you never lived in "warmer" climate? tinted windows help cut down a lot on how hot the car gets during the day. before A/C seats and shades came around in the 7er, i had tints to help me live during a hot summer day:

http://photos.jkb.org/v/cars/tahoe2004/?g2_page=2

///MLover
11-18-2005, 04:00 PM
I have a tint all the way around.(Yes even windsheild) I couldnt use limo because it has metal particles in it and it affect the Navi. So i had gotten dark all the way around and light on the windsheild.(that was the max that the tint dealer would allow. At nite it is good from the outside. Inside is way way to dark at nite. I cant see anything. So i changed it to medium. It costed me a total of 400 (With changing the tint in the front) :thumbdwn:

Malibubimmer
11-18-2005, 05:55 PM
I have a tint all the way around.(Yes even windsheild) I couldnt use limo because it has metal particles in it and it affect the Navi. So i had gotten dark all the way around and light on the windsheild.(that was the max that the tint dealer would allow. At nite it is good from the outside. Inside is way way to dark at nite. I cant see anything. So i changed it to medium. It costed me a total of 400 (With changing the tint in the front) :thumbdwn:
It will cost you more if you get stopped by the cops. Tinting the front side windows is a no no in California. And, if the cops can't see in when they stop you, they seem to lose whatever sense of humor they had before they stopped you. Good luck.

jkb
11-18-2005, 06:23 PM
It will cost you more if you get stopped by the cops. Tinting the front side windows is a no no in California. And, if the cops can't see in when they stop you, they seem to lose whatever sense of humor they had before they stopped you. Good luck.

i had tinted windows for 7 years before i got 7er and decided not to do it (due to shades and A/C seats). i have NEVER had a problem with cops (and i get pulled above average). you just have to have common sence, know how to deal with people and just roll your windows down when you stop by a cop. i also never had super crazy "can't see whats inside" tint. also usually if your car is pimped or a rice rocket, you are a glutton for punishment. if all you have is light tint and you dont seem to be drunk or high, chances are the cops are not going to bother you about tints.

BmW745On19's
11-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Since I do live in Florida, I do concur that it does get quite hot in cars if they are left out in the sun, especially black cars. What tinting I don't like, agreeing with Yan, is tinting that is way too dark. I've never really noticed a change with tinting in our cars that do have tint as opposed to before they had tint. It all really depends on personal preference IMO.

LDV330i
11-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Since I do live in Florida, I do concur that it does get quite hot in cars if they are left out in the sun, especially black cars. What tinting I don't like, agreeing with Yan, is tinting that is way too dark. I've never really noticed a change with tinting in our cars that do have tint as opposed to before they had tint. It all really depends on personal preference IMO.Unfortunately many people equate lower VLT (tint darkness) with higher heat rejection. That is totally incorrect. V-Kool film is 70% VLT making it virtually a no tint film but it has a higher heat rejection than many of the limo tint films in the market. I have ceramic film installed in my car which is also characterized by its high heat rejection. My car has 34% VLT film and has a higher heat rejection than many 5% films.

one time
11-28-2005, 03:03 PM

There is Limo tint that can be installed that will not affect NAVI...it is just most window tinting businesses do not bother with this. If you shop around hard enough, you should be able to find a reputable place that can install this for you. If need be, I can find out the specifics if interested.

2006_750Li_ED
11-28-2005, 08:20 PM
In my opinion the main role of the tint is the cool look factor. I tinted my car light on all side windows and medium in the rear, I have never been stopped by a cop about it and I was stopped several times.

look at my avatar it shows the tint well. Chrome wheels and tint are the best way to add value to the car and improve the appearence

jkb
11-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Chrome wheels and tint are the best way to add value to the car and improve the appearence

yes, i hear it double the value of the car. getting the spinning rims triples it.

chuck92103
11-28-2005, 08:39 PM
:stupid: Tint, chrome wheels, spinners, sounds very trailer park to me. Might as well add curb feelers to. :rolleyes:

yes, i hear it double the value of the car. getting the spinning rims triples it.

Malibubimmer
11-28-2005, 09:03 PM
In my opinion the main role of the tint is the cool look factor. I tinted my car light on all side windows and medium in the rear, I have never been stopped by a cop about it and I was stopped several times.

look at my avatar it shows the tint well. Chrome wheels and tint are the best way to add value to the car and improve the appearence
In the 1970s a famous economist I knew (who was also a car nut) observed that whatever you did to customize your car would cause it to lose value and whatever you did to customize your house would return value over and above what you paid. So, chrome wheels and window tint may increase the value to you, but not in the real world. Unless, of course, it is also your house.

gbelton
11-28-2005, 09:28 PM
In the 1970s a famous economist I knew (who was also a car nut) observed that whatever you did to customize your car would cause it to lose value and whatever you did to customize your house would return value over and above what you paid. So, chrome wheels and window tint may increase the value to you, but not in the real world. Unless, of course, it is also your house. You are so right my friend... The big dilema one has is the,"You cannot show-boat your house to your friends and people you don't know." The wow, admire factor... You know what I mean.

We all like nice cars and wish to dress them up like we do for our houses. So I suspect those who wish to invest thousands of dollars in a car that will not be worth the cost you invested in them so be it. I do not hate the Playa...

Personally, I like to see a well dressed Classic BMW; in fact I encourage it but don't expect me to do that to my BMers because I value there worth (today) and value the increased value of my home... (tomorrow)

Just one man's opinion!

GMAN

jkb
11-28-2005, 10:54 PM
:stupid: Tint, chrome wheels, spinners, sounds very trailer park to me. Might as well add curb feelers to. :rolleyes:

i was been super sarcastic :)

while i understand light tint for sun blocking in hot climate, i would never tint for looks. and dont even get me started on chrome rims.

of course taste is something .. uhm .. personal :)

bimmer7
11-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Tint's & Rims may infact give your car a slight edge when conducting private party transactions but in reality I agree they dont really add value to the car ....and to be honest its jus personal gratification :)

2006_750Li_ED
11-29-2005, 07:12 AM
I have pictures of my car before tint and chromes and after. it is a night and day difference.

If I was selling my car, and someone saw mine and compared it to another car they would be more inclined to pick up mine. I do agree that when buying a car when you buy features like laser cruise control you will never see your money back, however if someone likes a feature they would be more inclined to buy the car and thus perhaps pay a little more, same with a house that has a granite kitchen, it has a better appeal.
I have been changing my cars every year and the WOW factor of the good tint and nice wheels always helps sell my cars.
Consider the fact that I only paid $250 for my tint and $750 for my chrome wheels, this investment will definitely add $1000 to my cars value at point of sale.
I have been to the auction several times, and when you see 30 cars that look the same, and one looks a little better, it will attract more buyers including dealers.

on that note anyone wants to buy my car ? it has 5,000 miles

black_ace
12-04-2005, 01:46 PM
In texas the cops have better things to do than screw with me for having limo tint on my whip.

chuck92103
12-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Tint hides the driver too much. How the heck you suppose to pick up a hot chick (or guy for some folks) when they can't see you?

I prefer not to pimp my ride. :p

black_ace
12-04-2005, 02:56 PM
haha, I prefer not to pick up chics with my car. I don't want those types of chics that dig me for my ride. I live in texas, Tinted windows should be Standard.

QUOTE=chuck92103]Tint hides the driver too much. How the heck you suppose to pick up a hot chick (or guy for some folks) when they can't see you?

I prefer not to pimp my ride. :p[/QUOTE]

LDV330i
12-04-2005, 06:23 PM
In texas the cops have better things to do than screw with me for having limo tint on my whip.Unfortunately that may not be true. Earlier this year I got stopped for no front license plate. The policeman saw me while I was inside my townhome complex waiting for the gate to open. He then waited for me at the street corner to stop me. Since I was clean he wanted me to document that my tint was legal by rolling up my driver's side window and display the compliance certificate (decal). My tint is 34% VLT so you may be pushing your luck. You may not get stopped just for the tint but it may be a collateral reason to ticket you if you have already been stopped.

Malibubimmer
12-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Not in Texas In texas the cops have better things to do than screw with me for having limo tint on my whip.

Unfortunately that may not be true. Earlier this year I got stopped for no front license plate. The policeman saw me while I was inside my townhome complex waiting for the gate to open. He then waited for me at the street corner to stop me. Since I was clean he wanted me to document that my tint was legal by rolling up my driver's side window and display the compliance certificate (decal). My tint is 34% VLT so you may be pushing your luck. You may not get stopped just for the tint but it may be a collateral reason to ticket you if you have already been stopped.
Sounds like black_ace has diplomatic immunity.

black_ace
12-05-2005, 08:20 AM
I'd like to think I do. Yeah right. I don't have a front plate either. I'm sure I will have to pay a fine sooner or later. As long as it is a non moving violation an attorney canget me out of it for 50 bucks. Chances are the cop wont show up anyway.

Sounds like black_ace has diplomatic immunity.

LDV330i
12-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I'd like to think I do. Yeah right. I don't have a front plate either. I'm sure I will have to pay a fine sooner or later. As long as it is a non moving violation an attorney canget me out of it for 50 bucks. Chances are the cop wont show up anyway. That must be some cheap attorney. With most attorneys I know that will get you 15 minutes or less of consultation.

FYI, no license plate tickets are not a fix it ticket. I showed up in court with pictures of the front plate installed (for the picture only :D ) in response to my summons and the judge told me they were not admisable piece of evidence because I in fact did not have plates at the time I was stopped. But since I had corrected the violation my ticket was reduced from $90 to $5. The judge told me that if I did not aggree with that reduction I still had the option of requesting a trial. Unfortunately after adding court costs I still ended up paying $60. :(

black_ace
12-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Not that I have gotten a lot of tickets in my life, and I hope not too, but on my sportbike I got a non moving violation becuse my plate was tucked so the tollway did not rob me blind. Got pulled over and a lawyer contacted me. For 50 bucks my ticket was dismissed. I have no idea how they got my info or anything. I really think it all depends on how you talk to the officer or how much of a jerk the judge wants to be. I have been told that if the dealer does not put it on, you can normally get out of the ticket. I see hundreds of cars a day with no plates on the front. I personally think it takes away from the car. I think they can't radar you if you don't have the reflective plate up......so I'v been told. Let me just pray I don't get stopped, casue I aint putting it on until I do.

I'll prolly get stopped on the way home now for tint and plates. My windows are dark at night, but not really dark during the day. My back on is Limo, canst see in it riight up on it. Makes my others look lighter although they are illegal. Makes the car look better though.

That must be some cheap attorney. With most attorneys I know that will get you 15 minutes or less of consultation.

FYI, no license plate tickets are not a fix it ticket. I showed up in court with pictures of the front plate installed (for the picture only :D ) in response to my summons and the judge told me they were not admisable piece of evidence because I in fact did not have plates at the time I was stopped. But since I had corrected the violation my ticket was reduced from $90 to $5. The judge told me that if I did not aggree with that reduction I still had the option of requesting a trial. Unfortunately after adding court costs I still ended up paying $60. :(

LDV330i
12-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Not that I have gotten a lot of tickets in my life, and I hope not too, but on my sportbike I got a non moving violation becuse my plate was tucked so the tollway did not rob me blind. Got pulled over and a lawyer contacted me. For 50 bucks my ticket was dismissed. I have no idea how they got my info or anything. I really think it all depends on how you talk to the officer or how much of a jerk the judge wants to be. I have been told that if the dealer does not put it on, you can normally get out of the ticket. I see hundreds of cars a day with no plates on the front. I personally think it takes away from the car. I think they can't radar you if you don't have the reflective plate up......so I'v been told. Let me just pray I don't get stopped, casue I aint putting it on until I do.

I'll prolly get stopped on the way home now for tint and plates. My windows are dark at night, but not really dark during the day. My back on is Limo, canst see in it riight up on it. Makes my others look lighter although they are illegal. Makes the car look better though.Unfortunately that does not fly. The policeman asked me why I had no front plate, as I picked it up from the passenger floorboard, I explained that my car with came with no mounting gear for the front license plate. :rolleyes: He asked if I was not aware of the legal requirement to display a front license plate. My very polite response was that I did but having moved from Florida where front flates are not issued I did not realized it was such a big deal, specially since my car came with no front plate mounting brackets. (Semi truth because I moved from FL over 6 years ago and see my thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41007)here on the law changing last year.) I have been lucky because that is the first time in 6 years I have been cited for no front license plate, though previously I had received a speeding ticket.:(

Here in Houston police have conducted sting operations to ticket people with no front plates (See this post (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=976608&postcount=141).) I have a friend who is B'Fester (and a lawyer) who got caught in one those sting operation where they were stopping mostly BMW's and Porsches. Since it was not a moving violation he decided not to fight it (though it was his second one in 1 year) and paid the fine since it was not worth his effort.

///MLover
12-06-2005, 08:44 PM

So far at least 30 cops have pulled up by me and tried to look in. But YES i was very lucky. So far no tickets, and never and pull-overs. :rofl: