PDA

View Full Version : Question on tires and weird noise

Toast
09-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Just curbbed my driver side rear rim today while leaving a parkade :mad: , going to have it repaired tomorrow. In the meantime, would it be ok if i drive on the spare wheel for a few days since the tire's direction is reversed? (I have the 330i SP wheels, and the tires are unidirectional). Should I avoid "spirited" driving?

Since about two weeks ago, I noticed a high pitched whinning noise coming from the front of the car while I lift my foot off the accelerator pedal and let the car move on its own speed. What could it be? A service appointment won't be available till next Friday :( , but I would like to know what it could possibly be before I bring it in and let them "hunt around" for the problem.

And lastly, the climate control produces a weird "hissing" sound when its running on a relatively low fan speed. Am I looking at possible aircon failure? :mad: :mad:

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions provided!:thumbup:

Emission
09-12-2002, 10:10 AM
You can drive on a full-size spare forever. The only thing that is compromised with a directional tire running backwards is more noise and wet weather performance - you may hydroplane a bit more. You can run just as fast in the dry.

The noise in the front could be a bearing (unlikely) or the noise from the tread on the pavement (likely). How worn are the tires? Is the noise identical on different surfaces?

The hissing in the climate control is probably related to the A/C (see if it does it just on vent mode). The system compresses R-134 to make 'cold' - it also uncompresses it. You can sometimes hear the compression noises (hiss) from some systems. If the noise is new - you could have problems.

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Toast

Since about two weeks ago, I noticed a high pitched whinning noise coming from the front of the car

Did you run over your mother in law?