PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How do you rank caring for your cars finish?

Guest84
01-14-2002, 05:30 AM
I was inspired by this poll after watching a '01 Bimmer outside our office gather dirt and brake dust so thick that I had a hard time making out the color, and the wheel rims looked black. :)

Nick325xiT 5spd
01-14-2002, 05:43 AM
Hehe. I'm number two... But people still think I'm obsessive. But I was laughing at my gf the other day as she painstakingly cleansed her bike following a ride.
It was well worth every time she rolled her eyes at me for cleaning my car. *g*
Nick

johnlew
01-14-2002, 05:51 AM
Compared to some on this board, I'm about average, although most people think I'm obsessive. What goes on here shows me I'm far from it. My car's pretty much ALWAYS clean, but that's because of a deal I have at an AUTOMATIC car wash. :D You need something between 1 & 2!

alee
01-14-2002, 05:57 AM
I'm #4. Yup. I don't actually own any car care products. I don't mind if my car is dirty. Uh huh. Yep. :rolleyes:

-Al

AF
01-14-2002, 06:11 AM
I'd say I'm 'Low' on the list but lately the automatic carwash has been one of my favorite spots to visit . . . monthly :D :D

Guest84
01-14-2002, 06:26 AM
Alan, you do realize that both Alee and I cringe whenever someone with a dark finish mentions the "A" word, don't you? :D

Mike 325xi
01-14-2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by alee
I'm #4. Yup. I don't actually own any car care products. I don't mind if my car is dirty. Uh huh. Yep. :rolleyes:

-Al

Here's Al right after making that statement... :rolleyes:
http://www.magicmakers.com/retail/animal%20noses/pinocchio.jpg

Edge/330ci
01-14-2002, 07:09 AM
Since picking up the car on 12/04/01, a weekend hasn't passed where I didn't wash and Zaino my car. Even when it was 35 degrees, I was still out washing. Add to that a couple of mid-week washes. I dust during the week and use a quick-detail spray when needed. Obsessive? Maybe a little. But, I didn't spend this much money on a car to let it collect dust, mud, bugs, & bird droppings.

ALEX325i
01-14-2002, 07:23 AM
I'm driving the 325i today. Although I knew it was going to rain, I washed it yesterday, after driving it around for only three days since last wash...

But it's not like I don't do stuff other than wash my cars. I get up at 6AM and take care of them ;) That's all.

Plaz
01-14-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Alan, you do realize that both Alee and I cringe whenever someone with a dark finish mentions the "A" word, don't you? :D

The question is, would a once-a-year 3M IHG treatment followed by a good Zaino/P21S treatment be enough to remove the scratches and swirls from 12-20 automatic car washes?

Guest84
01-14-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Plaz 330i

The question is, would a once-a-year 3M IHG treatment followed by a good Zaino/P21S treatment be enough to remove the scratches and swirls from 12-20 automatic car washes?

Good question! I'm not sure, but what i am sure of is if you did a polish with a random orbital polisher with the above scenario it would work...swirl mark removers are just basically 'fillers'...so when that wears off, your clear coat is once again swirled.

Edge/330ci
01-14-2002, 07:59 AM
3M IHG only fills in the scratches temporarilly to give the appearance of a smooth, no-swirl-mark surface.

If you really want to buff them out, you'll need something like 3M Finesse-It II machine polish.

Personally, I'd rather just not scratch it in the first place..

Guest84
01-14-2002, 08:06 AM
I think what Edge is touching on is, if you wash it correctly, you can minimize the swirls, but you will never totally eliminate swirls IMO. Hand washing with the proper wash mitt and using linear motion is the key to reducing swirls. Environmental factors, rain, etc. will induce micro swirls as well, but you can't do anything preventing those(except maybe keeping it in the garage!)

AF
01-14-2002, 08:57 AM

heh, heh . . . please don't cringe anymore- I'm a changed man !!!

I couldn't handle the harassment ! ! !

Mike 325xi
01-14-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Alan F

heh, heh . . . please don't cringe anymore- I'm a changed man !!!

I couldn't handle the harassment ! ! !

hehehe :p

I have to say that you had big stones when you first posted that picture!! You had to know that you would get abused! :D

in_d_haus
01-14-2002, 09:05 AM
I spent last week washing, polishing, and waxing each of my rims one at a time off the car.

I've owned my car a year and I'm still pretty anal about keeping it clean.

Guest84
01-14-2002, 09:15 AM
In-d-Haus is the guy that addicted me to Griots products! :)

He also won the cleanest car award at the BMWCCA local chapter outing at Seattle International Raceway last year.

Emission
01-14-2002, 10:02 AM
I hadn't missed a single weekend of washing my car and a quick shot of spray wax.

Now, since I've moved, the car has gone (oh no!) sometimes two weeks between washes. No big deal, it is still in a garage nightly, and never in an automatic car wash.

Kaz
01-14-2002, 10:12 AM
Except for after a rain (which thank goodness isn't often here), because I have a parking structure at work and a garage at home, most of the car pretty much keeps itself clean for a good 2 weeks at least.

My tailgate collects dirt 10x faster than the rest of the car, so I usually look at that to see if it needs a washing.

Its never been 'dirty' for more than a week, but I've never washed it more than once a week either. Oh, no machine washing either. That shouldnt' count as 'washing the car'. :P

Its been 6mos since my first Klasse application, and I'm starting to think it needs another pretty soon.

So I think I'm solidly in #2 territory

Patrick
01-14-2002, 10:44 AM
You guys make me feels two things:

1) guilty for not being able to wash my car very often,
2) jealous that I am not able to wash my car very often

I have to have a car washing freak-BMW owner friend of mine send me some of these products that you are always talking about! I am going to have to get some pointers from Al and Rip as well - car washing doesn't sounds as easy as it used to be. Damnit, I can't wait until my house is finished ... :D

Patrick

Patrick
01-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Kaz
My tailgate collects dirt 10x faster than the rest of the car, so I usually look at that to see if it needs a washing.

Kaz -

Have you also noticed how dirty the tailgates UNDER the rear window? It is impossible to keep clean and a pain the cheeks to get clean.

Patrick

Mr. The Edge
01-14-2002, 10:50 AM
How's this for a dirty rear end?

http://www.muckypaws.net/e46/gfx/dirtycar.jpg

Kaz
01-14-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Patrick 320d

Kaz -

Have you also noticed how dirty the tailgates UNDER the rear window? It is impossible to keep clean and a pain the cheeks to get clean.

Patrick

You mean that painted ledge right under where the glass closes? I try to spray that part out during a washing, and get at it with a towel during drying. In fact, I open the glass, hatch, and all the doors and wipe all of it down Othrwise you get all the water drips on your first post-wash drive. Yuk.

ALEX325i
01-14-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by atyclb
How's this for a dirty rear end?

http://www.muckypaws.net/e46/gfx/dirtycar.jpg

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. That is not an X5 bro. That's an ///M3 :p

J/K. BTW, how many miles have you put on your M3 bro? Any differential problems yet?

Mr. The Edge
01-14-2002, 11:02 AM
I've got 3,000 miles in about 2.5 months. No probs whatsoever so far. I have the Clunk, but that's my only "issuse".

Did you happen to see this on the M3 board?

diff grinding noise (http://forums.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e46m3/forum.php?postid=255917)

ALEX325i
01-14-2002, 11:09 AM
I've got 3,000 miles in about 2.5 months. No probs whatsoever so far. I have the Clunk, but that's my only "issuse".

Did you happen to see this on the M3 board?

diff grinding noise (http://forums.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e46m3/forum.php?postid=255917)

Yeah, I have the "clunk" too. But, to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing we can do about it, right?

No, I didn't see that. Haven't gone back to .ORG since we migrated here. Thanks for bringing that to my attention though. I'll pay attention to "griding noises" when cornering...

BTW, do you know if the M3 folks on the other board know about Bimmerfest? They would probably like this one better...

Patrick
01-14-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Kaz
You mean that painted ledge right under where the glass closes? I try to spray that part out during a washing, and get at it with a towel during drying. In fact, I open the glass, hatch, and all the doors and wipe all of it down Othrwise you get all the water drips on your first post-wash drive. Yuk.

Yep. I also pop the glass and clean it out whenever I wash the car. Of course, grease from the hinges gets all over the towel and then the crap never wants to get cleaned off.

Yuk is the word.

Patrick

Mr. The Edge
01-14-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ALEX325i

BTW, do you know if the M3 folks on the other board know about Bimmerfest? They would probably like this one better...

To be honest, I kind of like it over here without them. The fewer people over here, the better--unless we could figure out how to do an invite only deal. I may e-mail some of the regulars that I like, but I am happy still visiting the M3 forum over there and also posting here. There's just too many people still waiting for cars, etc. that might clutter up this board.

ALEX325i
01-14-2002, 11:15 AM

To be honest, I kind of like it over here without them. The fewer people over here, the better--unless we could figure out how to do an invite only deal. I may e-mail some of the regulars that I like, but I am happy still visiting the M3 forum over there here. There's just still too many people waiting for cars, etc. that might clutter up this board.

Yeah. You're right. Plus, some of those guys are kind of rude. I mean, I used to LMAO reading some of the threads there, but I'm not sure I'd like to see that kind of attitude here...

Mr. The Edge
01-14-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ALEX325i

Yeah. You're right. Plus, some of those guys are kind of rude. I mean, I used to LMAO reading some of the threads there, but I'm not sure I'd like to see that kind of attitude here...

Exactly.

Dan
01-14-2002, 11:43 AM
I'm between a 1 and a 2, although my wife thinks I'm obsessive about keeping my car clean. I only hand wash, always towel dry, keep a good coat of wax on the car at all times, and the interior is always spotless. I also choose my parking spots very carefully, and keep it garaged at night and while I'm at the office.

ChrisF
01-14-2002, 11:55 AM
but I aspire to reach the same level of neurotic obsession as some others that I've met here.

With all this talk of Zanio and random orbitals and Griots, you guys are really dangerous:)

Guest84
01-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Dan
I'm between a 1 and a 2, although my wife thinks I'm obsessive about keeping my car clean. I only hand wash, always towel dry, keep a good coat of wax on the car at all times, and the interior is always spotless. I also choose my parking spots very carefully, and keep it garaged at night and while I'm at the office.

This gentlemen is a fine example of someone who appreciates "value", or has been raised by parents who said "Take care of your equipment, and it will hold value and last along time.." or have basic common sense that a keeping equipment clean is also a sign of ones personality. That being appreciative of what they have.

I think this poll shows that most here appreciate their auto's and maintain them to the best that their individual schedule allows for, and the poll results are no doubt not surprising at all. I think this is sort of a hobby for those that voted the top two 2 of this poll, which account for 85% of those polled so far.

ALEX325i
01-14-2002, 12:49 PM

This gentlemen is a fine example of someone who appreciates "value", or has been raised by parents who said "Take care of your equipment, and it will hold value and last along time.." or have basic common sense that a keeping equipment clean is also a sign of ones personality. That being appreciative of what they have.

I think this poll shows that most here appreciate their auto's and maintain them to the best that their individual schedule allows for, and the poll results are no doubt not surprising at all. I think this is sort of a hobby for those that voted the top two 2 of this poll, which account for 85% of those polled so far.

Well put Rip!

I think value is the key word here. I mean, we have to work SO hard to pay for these cars that it would be a shame not to keep'em in good shape... ;)

Plus, caring for my cars has a therapeutic effect on me. That's one of my ways to unwind after a crazy week... I'd rather unwind diving, but the water is kind of cold these days... :)

ism409
01-14-2002, 12:49 PM
I would have to say being compared to people like allee I am a #2.. although a lot of people think I go overbaord in the car washing dept..being a part of this board makes me feel guilty that I do not wash the car more often.. here is a pic from Saturday after a wash..
http://members.roadfly.com/cgulbish/snowTiresClean.jpg

Guest84
01-14-2002, 12:57 PM
Beautiful ISM, I never get tired of looking at E46's! Bet those rims are a breeze to take of, I'll trade you my 330Ci rims for those! ;)

(Incidently, I lived in Greenbrook NJ for 2 years, '72-74, in the Wachung Hills area)

ism409
01-14-2002, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the compliments...No way I went to watchung hills HS.. graduated in 88 :D