PDA

View Full Version : DIY Lowering with Springs only?

nelson334
11-19-2005, 08:52 PM
any good DIYs?

Bob@BPS
11-19-2005, 09:01 PM
any good DIYs?

UUC Motorwerks has a popular tuned spring set and is designed to work with your stock shocks. We have a set for the E36 M3 in stock and I'll give you a great deal on them.

We also carrying Vogtland springs and Gound-control and Bilstein coil-overs.

PM me or e-mail me at sales@bimmerperformancestore.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Bob DeLellis, President
Bimmer Performance Store, Ltd.

s_ribbens
12-08-2005, 11:04 AM
There are some DIY sites around (www.logun.org and www.bimmerdiy.com). Otherwise pick up a Bentley manual (actually, get one anyway- they are invaluable).

That said, don't do just springs. Unless you are significantly under 50k miles, which is unlikely, your shocks are worn out. Do yourself a favor and replace the shocks at the same time (you'll have to do the same amount of labor to replace the shocks at a later date so you'll be saving a few hours of work). All you have to decide is what you are looking for in terms of ride quality/handling and your budget. I waited (though it was tough) until I had enough $$ to do shock and springs at the same time and am very glad I did. I went with some Tein Basic coilovers because they are marginally more $ than spring/shock upgrades but have full height adjustment. PM me if you want more info on them.

SoloII///M
12-08-2005, 11:17 AM
There are some DIY sites around (www.logun.org and www.bimmerdiy.com). Otherwise pick up a Bentley manual (actually, get one anyway- they are invaluable).

That said, don't do just springs. Unless you are significantly under 50k miles, which is unlikely, your shocks are worn out. Do yourself a favor and replace the shocks at the same time (you'll have to do the same amount of labor to replace the shocks at a later date so you'll be saving a few hours of work). All you have to decide is what you are looking for in terms of ride quality/handling and your budget. I waited (though it was tough) until I had enough $$ to do shock and springs at the same time and am very glad I did. I went with some Tein Basic coilovers because they are marginally more $ than spring/shock upgrades but have full height adjustment. PM me if you want more info on them.

I agree 100%. For one, the stock shocks are terrible. They also don't last very long - 40k is about the upper limit.

I would be very very afraid of any lowering springs that are "tuned" to work with the stock shocks. That means they're pretty low-rate, which does not go well with a lower ride height for obvious reasons :eek: .

Do yourself a favor and invest in a set of Koni Yellows. You'll never miss the stockers.

FingerTight
01-11-2006, 11:09 AM
So, I just picked up a '95 M3 that came with a set of Konis in the trunk.
Two questions:

1) The shocks are yellow, is this a particular model? Anything anyone knows about these would be interesting.

2) What springs would go best with these?

The car will be used 85% as a daily / canyon driver, and 15% for track days.
I don't want to drop the car too much, needs to stay drievable on L.A. roads.

Appreciate any input!

Pinecone
01-11-2006, 11:27 AM
They are Koni sports. They can be used with stock springs or something line Eibach or H&R sport springs.

For canyon/track sprt springs are fun. For daily driver, some find them harsh. I don't mind them.

DarkSide
01-12-2006, 12:38 PM

Can I say that the M3 in your sig is just beautiful. Good job man. :thumbup:

FingerTight
01-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Went with the H&R sports, they arrive on Wed.
Thanks for the input Terry