PDA

View Full Version : Just got iPod, what to do with Phatnoise Phatbox?

jetstream23
11-20-2005, 10:13 PM
My wife just got me a 30GB iPod video :D which I am planning to use almost exclusively for songs and maybe a few pictures. I think I want to connect it in the car, probably using the Denison Icelink that people have raved about.

The problem is that I already have a 20GB Phatnoise Phatbox with the BMW connector. I had barely gotten it out of the box a few months ago when I had a computer problem and couldn't rip all of my CD's to MP3. Long story, short - Never installed the Phatbox in the car, had barely hooked it up to the computer, and now I have an iPod so I'm not sure if I'm going to use the Phatbox. I am debating whether to keep it and use it as my "permanent" music storage in the car and enjoy the voice navigation and other Phatbox features and avoid paying for the Icelink or just selling the Phatbox.

I did post a Classified here in the Mobile Electronics area to see if I can get a decent offer. What would you guys do? Keep both? Accept a reasonable offer for my "slightly used" Phatbox and eat the $100 or $200 difference between what I paid and what I'll get? Gosh, 6 months ago I was way behind the digital curve, now I've got 2 of the coolest digital music devices and don't know what to do ! :rofl:

jetstream23
11-22-2005, 01:49 PM
crickets chirping, ey? :p

Cliff
11-22-2005, 02:06 PM
I have both a 40gb Phatbox and a 40gb iPod. The Phatbox user interface is perfect for use in a car. I would keep them both, unless you need the cash.

jetstream23
11-22-2005, 03:06 PM
I have both a 40gb Phatbox and a 40gb iPod. The Phatbox user interface is perfect for use in a car. I would keep them both, unless you need the cash.

Thanks! That is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. The delimma is in keeping the Phatbox or selling it and getting the Denison Icelink Plus. Your comments on the user interface help. I assume you are talking about the voice navigation?

Another question, how do you manage your music on your PC. I assume that you have both the iPod dock and the Phatnoise DMS docked to the PC. Any conflicts? Using iTunes or the Phatnoise music manager? Everything in MP3 format or do you use the Apple format too?

Cliff
11-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I use PMM to rip CDs to VBR MP3 files. They go into a generic folder structure based on the artist/album information from the ID3 tags, from which I import the files into iTunes. I have not yet felt a desire to download music, so I can't answer any questions about that. I can't think of any reason why the two serial devices can't be mounted simultaneously.

Yes, I am talking about the voice interface. Search for posts from myself, clyde, and terry kennedy, among others. We've discussed the interface in detail in the past. I've had the Phatbox in my car for nearly 3 years and it rocks.

jetstream23
11-23-2005, 08:53 AM
I use PMM to rip CDs to VBR MP3 files. They go into a generic folder structure based on the artist/album information from the ID3 tags, from which I import the files into iTunes. I have not yet felt a desire to download music, so I can't answer any questions about that. I can't think of any reason why the two serial devices can't be mounted simultaneously.

Yes, I am talking about the voice interface. Search for posts from myself, clyde, and terry kennedy, among others. We've discussed the interface in detail in the past. I've had the Phatbox in my car for nearly 3 years and it rocks.

Awesome. I think I'm keeping it !

I plan to do the same thing with my music - rip to MP3 and not use iTunes for downloading. Personally, I still like buying CD's, ripping them and then storing the physical CD's as backups in a box in my closet. The cost is roughly equal if you buy your CD's someplace cheap.