PDA

View Full Version : 5 Series V8


munk330ci
09-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Pulling into work today I saw 5 series in the lot. The only badge on the back was V8. That was where the 5XX would normally be. Did someone re-badge this or is this how it came. Never seen that one before. Just curious.

classy man
09-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Yep. I saw one fo those too. It's some kind of special edition with a GM high output overhead cam engine. don't ask me how bmw and gm got togethre but apparently they ddi.

dredmo
09-12-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by classy man
Yep. I saw one fo those too. It's some kind of special edition with a GM high output overhead cam engine. don't ask me how bmw and gm got togethre but apparently they ddi.

They called it the GMW

Emission
09-12-2002, 12:07 PM
They never put a V8 on the back.

On the 5-series for U.S. customers, BMW has put a 3.0 V8 (530i), 4.0 V8 (540i), 4.4 V8 (540i), and 5.0 V8 (M5).

None had any V8 badging anywhere.

munk330ci
09-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Emission
They never put a V8 on the back.

On the 5-series for U.S. customers, BMW has put a 3.0 V8 (530i), 4.0 V8 (540i), 4.4 V8 (540i), and 5.0 V8 (M5).

None had any V8 badging anywhere.

530, 540, 544, 550, all V8. :confused:

The 550 must be a special edition with the Mustaing 5.0 engine?

munk330ci
09-12-2002, 02:23 PM
looked at it again at lunch. I think it's a 7 series. tells you how much I know.

Emission
09-12-2002, 02:56 PM
In any case, they never put a V8 on the back of the 7-series either!

Dr. Phil
09-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by munk330ci


530, 540, 544, 550, all V8. :confused:

The 550 must be a special edition with the Mustaing 5.0 engine?
530 is actually 6 cylinder

Emission
09-12-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

530 is actually 6 cylinder

True, but they also had an E34 with a 3.0 V8 towards the end of that model's life. It was called a 530i. It had many problems...

Dr. Phil
09-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Emission


True, but they also had an E34 with a 3.0 V8 towards the end of that model's life. It was called a 530i. It had many problems...
My bad I was only thinking of the current models:)

Mystikal
09-12-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

My bad I was only thinking of the current models:)

Then where would the 4.0 engine come from? ;)

Dr. Phil
09-12-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal


Then where would the 4.0 engine come from? ;)
Smart a$$ :flipoff:

Ok the 3.0 jumped out at me, 540 = 4.4 so I guess that saves a little face for me:(

Mystikal
09-12-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

Smart a$$ :flipoff:

Ok the 3.0 jumped out at me, 540 = 4.4 so I guess that saves a little face for me:(

I know I'm an ass. :p Nate is getting to me.

Dr. Phil
09-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal


I know I'm an ass. :p Nate is getting to me.
That Nate is bringing a lot of us downhttp://www.royaldragonusa.net/images/Emoticons/mad%20at%20you.gif

Mystikal
09-12-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

That Nate is bringing a lot of us downhttp://www.royaldragonusa.net/images/Emoticons/mad%20at%20you.gif

Well, he is a pretty big guy. Could probably take the whole ship down with him, too. :D

Dr. Phil
09-12-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal


Well, he is a pretty big guy. Could probably take the whole ship down with him, too. :D
:lmao:

nate
09-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Why do I always get made fun of? :cry: :cry:

Emission
09-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Hey, is the 3.0 V8 the smallest V8 BMW has made most recently? Do they make a smaller one in Europe?

The 3.0 V8 made about 208 Hp if I recall correctly. What was the torque?

Interesting to think the 3.5 liter inline-6 in the 1990 535i made 208 Hp also!

Dr. Phil
09-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Why do I always get made fun of? :cry: :cry:
Not feeling the love Nate:dunno:

It's because you're so popularhttp://www.royaldragonusa.net/images/Emoticons/icon_lol.gif

Mr. The Edge
09-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Why do I always get made fun of? :cry: :cry:

'cause you're always here :rolleyes:

WAM
09-13-2002, 09:18 PM
The 3.0 V8 was the smallest V8 made, available in the E34.

The problems it had were due to the El Cheapo sulphur laden gasoline, which wore away cylinder walls.

Just an alloy ahead of its time.

The current small V8 is the 3.5 V8 in the E39

Sabrina
09-14-2002, 02:32 AM
The 3 liter V8 previously mentioned is also used in the e32 in Europe badged the 730i, and there were 8 prototype e31's with this engine. Obviously with a 4200 curb weight this engine didn't work out for a GT sport coupe. Betcha didn't know that did ya?


But this is coming from a girl... so don't believe a word of it... :lmao: ;) :p

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/elefant.gif http://www.plauder-smilies.de/elefant.gif

Mystikal
09-15-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by WAM


The current small V8 is the 3.5 V8 in the E39

Which model is this? I knew of a 3.5 in development based on the new 4.5, but I can't recall a current 3.5.

nate
09-15-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal


Which model is this? I knew of a 3.5 in development based on the new 4.5, but I can't recall a current 3.5.

535i/735i/Li :dunno:

Mystikal
09-15-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci


535i/735i/Li :dunno:

Seriously? There is a Valvetronic 3.5 released in the E39 already?

Mystikal
09-15-2002, 09:37 AM
Holy ****, you guys are right. When did the engine release?

nate
09-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Holy ****, you guys are right. When did the engine release? I'm always right ;)

Mystikal
09-15-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
I'm always right ;)

In your own little world, Nate. :confused:

nate
09-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal


In your own little world, Nate. :confused: :confused:

WAM
09-15-2002, 12:00 PM
The 3.5 V8 in the E39 is the non-valvetronic unit that has been offered pretty much since the introduction of the E39 series.

The valvetronic units will probably dedut in the new 5 series next year.