PDA

View Full Version : CD Changer failed -AGAIN!

Fifty_Cent
11-22-2005, 12:37 PM
What are these CD changers made of really??????butter?

My CD changer just gave me the "NO DISKS" sign again, after one year. LAst time it costed me 45$ to fix. Now same thing again.
The shop who fixed the changer last time tried to sell me a SONY CD changer, but they said I need to buy an adapter as well.

Some questions:

1. Can I buy an ALPINE MP3 CD changer unit and just plug it in? does it work with the OEM head unit?

Also, he tried to sell me an IPOD, saying blah blah IPOD has so much more storing capability (true but well...)

2. Is it time to have an audio upgrade? My stock head unit is giving me some problems with the volume control as well.

I really dont want to go aftermarket though. I really like that OEM look of the dash.

Any thoughts?

FalconGuy
11-22-2005, 06:03 PM
I bought a OEM compatable CD changer on Ebay, $200, still works great two years later. If given the choice I would avoid the OEM equipment, its from the same people that made our window reulators after all

KrisL
11-22-2005, 06:04 PM
One word: icelink

Who uses cds anymore? :)

bitmouse
11-23-2005, 09:34 AM
One word: icelink

Who uses cds anymore? :)

Ya, I'm starting to believe that is the better route. My stock changer is starting to go out, too.

Right now, I'm trying to find the best solution to hook up satellite without having to replace the head unit.

LDV330i
11-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Some questions:

1. Can I buy an ALPINE MP3 CD changer unit and just plug it in? does it work with the OEM head unit?

Alpine makes the OEM CD changer so the box is identical but the Alpine MP3 changer does not speak I-Bus, it speaks Ai-Net. You will need to get an Ai-Net adapter (really just a cord) to translate to M-Bus and an adapter such as Blitzsafe or Soundgate to translate from M-Bus to I-Bus. Your HU will have full control of the unit.

Fifty_Cent
11-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Alpine makes the OEM CD changer so the box is identical but the Alpine MP3 changer does not speak I-Bus, it speaks Ai-Net. You will need to get an Ai-Net adapter (really just a cord) to translate to M-Bus and an adapter such as Blitzsafe or Soundgate to translate from M-Bus to I-Bus. Your HU will have full control of the unit.Thanks for the help guys. Just took the CD changer to a shop to get it fixed.

It will take them a couple of weeks to do that.

Now i hve another problem to fix as well (Noisy a/c heater fan)