PDA

View Full Version : Valentine 1 integrated into rearview Mirror?

bbusick
11-22-2005, 02:17 PM
All,

Has anyone had any experience w/ this for their m3? It looks incredible...wondering if anyone has any real life examples.

http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html

BEB

ChiUnit
11-23-2005, 06:38 AM
Those are sweet!!! :thumbup:

rrsperry
11-26-2005, 06:53 AM
I don't think Jim is making them anymore, but he had posted a complete write up for a DIY.

Croak
11-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Jim stopped production of them, and has many colorful things to say about what it would take to get him to make the InV1simirror again. They're a PITA to make, hand built, and one stage involves hydrocloric acid, always fun to play with.

I have one, been using it for a few years now, and like it, a lot. My V1 is in my third brakelight, and I have the optional remote audio adaptor from Valentine mounted on the swtich panel in front of my shifter (a little extra volume, and the ability to turn the unit off).

bbusick
12-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Croak,

If Jim isn't making it, is this the same company or a different shop trying to make $$ off of his product? It sounds incredible but I'm not savy enough to install myself and I'm assuming I'd have to buy off this site, and then have a local shop install it...did you put yours in yourself? Thanks

e36unleashed
12-08-2005, 01:28 AM
so everybody just Laugh..... :rofl: :thumbup:

s_ribbens
12-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Croak- nice job with the V1. I have had that very idea floating around for a while but keep getting distracted with other modifications. :angel: I suppose there is a thread on it so I'll search instead of asking how you did it.

Croak
12-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Croak,

If Jim isn't making it, is this the same company or a different shop trying to make $$ off of his product? It sounds incredible but I'm not savy enough to install myself and I'm assuming I'd have to buy off this site, and then have a local shop install it...did you put yours in yourself? Thanks

Apexcone is Jim's company. He's just been too lazy or forgetful to change his ad banners and website.

The installation part is fairly easy, once you have the mirror. Replacing the mirror takes seconds (it just pops on and off). For the third brake light mount, you need to remove the rear parcel shelf to get at the brake light, and you need to do some Dremel work/cutting on the brake light housing to make the V1 fit.

And of course, you need to run standard 4-wire telephone cable from the V1 to the mirror and to the V1's hardwire adaptor..that's not difficult.

Any audio shop or repair shop could do the install for you, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. But it's probably a moot point unless you score a used unit or build your own mirror.