PDA

View Full Version : Quick Solution for Aux Input

JJKK
11-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Here is what I used to get a quick aux input for my Sirius (XACT XTR Unit) and Ipod.

I went through all of the research to see what I needed for an aux in. I have a 2002 (pre 9/02) 325xi, which I believe would have required a new head unit for the BMW aux in.

This is the Soundgate adapter that plugs onto the CD changer. If you have a changer, you would need a different model. And if your stereo has DSP, I think that there is yet another unit.

I still need to determine how I want all of the sources (Ipod, Sat, etc) set up, but this works for now. Using this method, I did not have to modify, drill, etc. AND I dont have to listen to the static creeping into my Sirius when I drive to work tomorrow. I could not stand the FM transmitter anymore.

Pics attached.

Bigwheels
11-23-2005, 08:13 AM
I just bought the AUX interface from Crutchfield. I have a 2003 330i with HK system, but without a CD changer. I'm not sure if I need to take the radio out to plug in the interface or find the wires from the trunk. Any thoughts?

KrisL
11-23-2005, 08:21 AM
I just bought the AUX interface from Crutchfield. I have a 2003 330i with HK system, but without a CD changer. I'm not sure if I need to take the radio out to plug in the interface or find the wires from the trunk. Any thoughts?

With a 2003, you need the BMW aux input kit that plugs in to the back of the head unit.

JJKK
11-23-2005, 08:21 AM

The wires are on the left side. You have to pop up the black plastic tray (2 clips holding it in). Go ahead and take out the spare cover too. Not sure if I needed to, but it seemed to help. When you first look under the carpet, you will probably think that you dont have the prewire. I did. It is tucked up and back behind the amp??. It is wrapped in a foam pad.

JJKK
11-23-2005, 08:26 AM
The wires are on the left side. You have to pop up the black plastic tray (2 clips holding it in). Go ahead and take out the spare cover too. Not sure if I needed to, but it seemed to help. When you first look under the carpet, you will probably think that you dont have the prewire. I did. It is tucked up and back behind the amp??. It is wrapped in a foam pad.

Is it a kit that is designed to fool the pre wire into thinking that it is a CD changer or just a regular Aux In kit ?

Jim Seattle
11-23-2005, 10:53 AM
So JJKK -

Those RCA wires run to your satellite receiver? Where is the Sat antenna? How did that install go?

Thanks
Jim

Bigwheels
11-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Actually my car is 2002. Does that make a difference?

KrisL
11-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Actually my car is 2002. Does that make a difference?

Yes. Head units didn't have an aux in until 2003. You'd have to get the blitzsafe/soundgate adapter to hook an input to your cd changer cable in the trunk.

JJKK
11-23-2005, 03:29 PM
So JJKK -

Those RCA wires run to your satellite receiver? Where is the Sat antenna? How did that install go?

Thanks
Jim

Yes. Or to the Ipod. I have the antenna just sitting on my dash until I figure out what I am going to do. I just wanted to get it working.

JJKK
11-23-2005, 10:09 PM
So JJKK -

Thanks
Jim

Here is how I arrange the items. The antenna wire can be "tucked" much better than I have done. The excess wire is slid in the area above the steering wheel. You can barely see it in the photo. When I want to use the ipod I can just lay it flat in front of the cupholder.

Dabear2
12-15-2005, 09:14 PM
I need an AUX imput for my SIRIUS Satellite Radio. I just bought the S50.

I got ahead of myself & bought the "USASPEC DFBMW BMW-COMPATIBLE DUAL AUXILIARY INPUT"

I opened the trunk and took out the left floor panel (where I broke off one of the pins (thats a whole other problem) and there is no cd changer wire or amp.

I have a 2002 320i. Am I out of luck????

:cry:

JJKK
12-27-2005, 09:44 AM
I need an AUX imput for my SIRIUS Satellite Radio. I just bought the S50.

I got ahead of myself & bought the "USASPEC DFBMW BMW-COMPATIBLE DUAL AUXILIARY INPUT"

I opened the trunk and took out the left floor panel (where I broke off one of the pins (thats a whole other problem) and there is no cd changer wire or amp.

I have a 2002 320i. Am I out of luck????

:cry:

You have to get way back in there. I did not think that I had one either. Its wrapped up. Feel around.

el_duderino
12-27-2005, 10:00 AM
SDo you ahve any engine RPM or background noise with this system?

Jim Seattle
12-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Yes. Head units didn't have an aux in until 2003. You'd have to get the blitzsafe/soundgate adapter to hook an input to your cd changer cable in the trunk.

Kris - If he got his hands on a 2003 head unit, could he swap that out and have everything work, including the AUX?

KrisL
12-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Kris - If he got his hands on a 2003 head unit, could he swap that out and have everything work, including the AUX?

I believe so... he'd also get Sirius compatibility.

Jim Seattle
12-27-2005, 12:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E46-3-series-CD-player_W0QQitemZ8024191531QQcategoryZ38641QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

KrisL
12-27-2005, 12:16 PM
If you get one from a 2005 BMW, you'd also get MP3 capability.

Jim Seattle
12-27-2005, 12:24 PM
If you get one from a 2005 BMW, you'd also get MP3 capability.

How is that different from the AUX jack? And we're talking E46 here right?

KrisL
12-27-2005, 12:36 PM
How is that different from the AUX jack? And we're talking E46 here right?

Yes. 2005 E46 in-dash cd players can play CD-ROMs with MP3s on them (so you can get 150 songs on 1 cd).

E60orBust
01-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Searching is good. Found the right place to post.

Not to threadjack or anything, but I have an '03 330xi and I already installed an Aux Input. Am I out of luck for having Sirius installed (i.e. uses the same port as Aux) or does Sat use a different plug? My car is pre-wired for a cd-changer but I'd rather have Aux/Sat than a CD.

Also, any chance of my car being able to play MP3's with a software update? Yes, redundant with an aux input installed but still worth asking.

KrisL
01-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Searching is good. Found the right place to post.

Not to threadjack or anything, but I have an '03 330xi and I already installed an Aux Input. Am I out of luck for having Sirius installed (i.e. uses the same port as Aux) or does Sat use a different plug? My car is pre-wired for a cd-changer but I'd rather have Aux/Sat than a CD.

Also, any chance of my car being able to play MP3's with a software update? Yes, redundant with an aux input installed but still worth asking.

Sirius piggybacks on the cd changer plug in the trunk. You can have both sat & aux in. This is assuming your car is new enough - check the build date in your door jamb. If you do not have navigation, your car must be 09/02 or later. If you have navigation, you need 09/2003 or later (which would be a MY2004 car).

If you want to play mp3s (OR gain sirius compatibility if your car was pre-09/02), you need to install a head unit from a 2005 car. You can sometimes find them on eBay. Plug and play replacement.

E60orBust
01-08-2006, 05:35 PM
At the moment, no such luck with 'used' '05 headunits on e-bay and I'm guessing a new one would run about $1500-1800 OEM?

Door jamb build dates.
330xi - 02/03
545i - 09/04 - With nav 'should' be able to receive the update for the new CIP, but I don't know what version it is now - never been serviced yet.

KrisL
01-08-2006, 05:46 PM
At the moment, no such luck with 'used' '05 headunits on e-bay and I'm guessing a new one would run about $1500-1800 OEM?

Door jamb build dates.
330xi - 02/03
545i - 09/04 - With nav 'should' be able to receive the update for the new CIP, but I don't know what version it is now - never been serviced yet.

$1500-1800? no way, closer to $300-400. Don't know about your E60, but your E46 should be Sirius plug and play!

E60orBust
01-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Don't know about your E60, but your E46 should be Sirius plug and play! Thought mine wasn't compatible, being pre-09/2003

If you have navigation, you need 09/2003 or later (which would be a MY2004 car).

Stop it your confusing me :confused:

$1500-1800? no way, closer to $300-400.
I was flying blind and using the dealer installed Nav option as my base price, which was $1500 when I had my E46 custom built. Hmmm, $300 for a headunit replacement you say...:D

My E60 is 'pre-wired' for Sat and my SA did a quote for $600 to install the module (including the built-in phoneand labor), but for now I might just have the CIP updated to play MP3's in the dash.

I rembember reading on E60 section that someone took their 545i in for a service/software updated while they took a 550i out for a test drive and when they picked up their 545i, the engine felt more responsive. Dont know if that was CIP update or generic engine management.

KrisL
01-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Sorry, I assumed your E46 did not have navigation. If it does, then yes, it's not sirius compatible and making it play mp3s is more trouble than it is worth.

One "trick".... if your car is still under warranty, you can take it to the dealer and tell them that your FM radio is fading in and out. Search bimmerfest here (for 'fm fade' or 'the lawsuit' and you'll probably find it) for the service bulletin # which you also take to the dealer.

This was a problem on cars w/ nav... the solution is for the dealer to replace the tuner in the trunk with the newer version, making your car Sirius compatible. It worked for me! (03/03 car w/ nav).

E60orBust
01-08-2006, 07:21 PM
This was a problem on cars w/ nav... the solution is for the dealer to replace the tuner in the trunk with the newer version, making your car Sirius compatible. It worked for me! (03/03 car w/ nav).

I 'have' noticed certain stations take a little longer to tune in. But I thought service departments followed the rule of thumb that if they can't replicate it there they don't change anything?

Edit: This thread? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85119&highlight=fm+fade

KrisL
01-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I 'have' noticed certain stations take a little longer to tune in. But I thought service departments followed the rule of thumb that if they can't replicate it there they don't change anything?

Edit: This thread? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85119&highlight=fm+fade

Well, if you turn off RDS, every channel will tune in immediately. That's a problem with the tuner and RDS that is unsolved.

That isn't the exact thread I was thinking about, but yes, that thread mentions the service bulletin #. Just complain that your FM stereo fades in and out when in a known good reception area and that you found this service bulletin online that describes your problem exactly.

My dealer had no problem performing the bulletin.

E60orBust
01-08-2006, 07:54 PM
My dealer had no problem performing the bulletin.

Are there still two versions of the "repair"?
Main: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60255&page=3
Direct: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=977412&postcount=59

KrisL
01-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Are there still two versions of the "repair"?
Main: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60255&page=3
Direct: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=977412&postcount=59

Hm, I was not aware.

I wasn't even thinking about Sirius back when I got the repair done.. but I just got the Sirius kit a few months ago and it works great...

E60orBust
01-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Hm, I was not aware.

I wasn't even thinking about Sirius back when I got the repair done.. but I just got the Sirius kit a few months ago and it works great...

This FM fade repair wouldn't give MP3 access by any chance, would it?

KrisL
01-08-2006, 09:36 PM
This FM fade repair wouldn't give MP3 access by any chance, would it?

Nope. On NAV cars, the FM tuner is in the trunk.. and that's what the FM fade replaces... but the cd reader (which gives you mp3 capability) is in the dash.

I still think you could get away with it for a few hundred dollars... might want to ask on the 'bmwnav' yahoo group. A few guys there have done a full nav swap and may have a good parts breakdown.

E60orBust
01-15-2006, 12:53 PM
$1500-1800? no way, closer to $300-400. Don't know about your E60, but your E46 should be Sirius plug and play!

Googled my fingers off and found Chapman BMW (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214106) and searched for 'Navigation' for a 2003 330i (xi wasn't an option, but 'this' time shouldn't make a difference.)

Result:
Electrical - navigation system components - Computer - navigation (unit) $1,966.20:wow:
Did I miss something here between your $400 and my guestimate of $1800?:dunno:

KrisL
01-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Did I miss something here between your $400 and my guestimate of $1800?:dunno:

Ok... there are 3 major components that make up the navigation system and tuner in the E46:

1) The head-end, including the screen and in-dash cd player.

2) The navigation computer, in your trunk, that accepts the NAV DVD

3) The tuner (BM53), in the trunk.

Your $2000 part is part #2 (I believe), unrelated to both MP3s and Sirius.

If (I'm not 100% sure) that 2005 cars w/ nav can play mp3s, then you probably only need to replace #1 to get this capability. Note that you'd only have to replace /part/ of #1, since you don't need a new screen. This part is still probably rather costly and not worth it.

To gain Sirius compatibility, you only have to replace #3, which is the $300-400 (guesstimate) that I mentioned.

E60orBust
01-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Ok... there are 3 major components that make up the navigation system and tuner in the E46:

1) The head-end, including the screen and in-dash cd player.

2) The navigation computer, in your trunk, that accepts the NAV DVD

3) The tuner (BM53), in the trunk.

To gain Sirius compatibility, you only have to replace #3, which is the $300-400 (guesstimate) that I mentioned.

Looks like it wouldn't be worth it. I already installed the aux input and the cheapest (sneaky?) route to fixing the sirius incompatibility would be to have the FM fade out 'fixed':D

KrisL
01-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Looks like it wouldn't be worth it. I already installed the aux input and the cheapest (sneaky?) route to fixing the sirius incompatibility would be to have the FM fade out 'fixed':D

Correct.. and I recommend having this done, Sirius rocks. :)

E60orBust
01-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Just have to make sure i get the 'proper' replacement. Although given the timespan of when the FM fade out happened and now in 2006, unless they pull an old unit, getting it replaced today would most likely give me the sirius module.

I'm getting together a master mods list :)