PDA

View Full Version : paint job question

classy man
09-12-2002, 03:04 PM
I've been out back working on the beemer today. Got the engine fixed, got the interior right, ect. but I've done created another gosh awful problem. while i was working amongst the engine, i skint the freeging fendres with my britches buckle. :mad: arrrgh. made me absolutely sick. My question to you men is this. how much does a good paint job going to cost me? i don't want it to set me back a whole lot of course. i can do some bondo work myself. But what kind of paint and what color?

this is a serious post please answer me right.

thank you.

PEACE OUT!

classy man
09-12-2002, 08:45 PM
Is there a body repair and paint forum? apparently i should post this somewehre else. Noone has any input on a paintjob? I find that hard to believe with the wealth of knowledge here. come on men help me out here..

SteveM
09-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Well, it's pretty hard to put an exact price on a paint job. You can spend upwards of $5K-$10K if you are so inclined. You probably can't get a decent quality paint job for less than $1500 or so. If you want to read up on paint and bodywork techniques, there is a great forum over at paint and body forum (http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index)

Your best bet is probably to ask around the local independent shops (not Maaco!) and get quotes.

If you decide to paint it yourself, you should be aware that many modern paints contain isocyanates and require supplied breathing air to be completely safe (i.e. not cartridge masks).

Additionally, an auto paint supply shop may be able to mix up some color-matched touch up paint in a rattle can if you just want to do a small spot repair.

Hope this helped.

classy man
09-13-2002, 04:55 AM
thank you SteveM, it did help a lot. very good link BTW.

One thing i'm wondering about is whether to put a clearcoat on the car. it's a 1974 and din't have a clearcoat when it new. i remember reading on this board a few months aog somebody saying that some of the new bmw's don't have clearcoat so that's got me wonderin if in fact i need that after all. my friend told me the urethane clearcoat can be really expensive.

bh330ci
09-13-2002, 05:14 AM
I find it interesting, classy man, that you were around a few months ago to read about the clear coat issue and yet haven't posted until just recently. Just an observation, but it must have been very difficult for someone who posts with your frequency to hold back your opinion until now.

classy man
09-13-2002, 05:35 AM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11899