PDA

View Full Version : Hey Kaz, AutoWeek published your letter!


IndyMike
09-12-2002, 04:39 PM
The following article appeared in the September 16th edition of AutoWeek:

Sport should mean "sporty"
I'm starting to resent the use of the term "sport wagon" in reference to many crossover-type SUVs in AutoWeek's articles, especially on the website. Shouldn't "sport wagon" refer to vehicles the same way that "sport sedans" do? That is, a wagon made with sportier dynamics than its more mundane counterparts.

I understand the industry is still struggling to come up with a good name for this growing category, but as a true "sport wagon" owner (BMW 3 series wagon) and an SUV-backlasher, I feel AutoWeek is setting a bad precedent with this.

Kaz O., Irvine, Calif.
(I also want to say a quick hello to all my bro's at Bimmerfest)

Well Ok, I took license on adding the Fest line. I'm sure he did state that, but the editors cut it out because they didn't want to set a dangerous precedent. :D

As a future sport wagon owner thanks for trying to keep the AutoWeek publishers in line. It might not make a major impression, but it'll let them know to be careful when throwing titles around.

Nice job, dude! :thumbup:

scottn2retro
09-12-2002, 04:40 PM
Kaz Rocks :thumbup:

johnlew
09-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Thanks Kaz,

I gotta *real* sport wagon, like you!

Raffi
09-12-2002, 04:47 PM
:yikes: This just reminded me about the experience in cell block 4D! :lmao: :lmao: Right Kaz? :D

scottn2retro
09-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Raffi
:yikes: This just reminded me about the experience in cell block 4D! :lmao: :lmao: Right Kaz? :D

Talk about sport wagons - it was getting a little too 'sporty' back there :eek:

Edit - just for the record, Kaz and I were up front :D

in_d_haus
09-12-2002, 04:51 PM
WTG Kaz!

Kaz
09-12-2002, 04:51 PM
Wow, I sent that in from their 'letter to the editor' link on their website a week or two ago. That's actually about 2/3 of what I sent in.

About a month or two so ago I started noticing this in the CarNews section of autoweek.com, where things like the XC90, SRX, etc. were called 'sport wagons.' At first I thought they were written by european correspondents where that might be what they call 'crossovers' but it started getting more and more prevelent, and it started pissing me off. :flipoff:

This type of precendence will give BMW excuses to replace wagons with X3/5/whatever! :thumbdwn:

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-12-2002, 05:12 PM
Good job Kaz!!

So what's the story about the Cell 4D? Someone care to fill me in on that...:confused:

Kaz
09-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3

So what's the story about the Cell 4D? Someone care to fill me in on that...:confused:

Don't worry about it, its so inside that its just... um, inside. :eeps: :eek:

I am NOT responsible for activities that go on in the back while the vehicle is in motion. :angel:

IndyMike
09-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Kaz


Don't worry about it, its so inside that its just... um, inside. :eeps: :eek:

I am NOT responsible for activities that go on in the back while the vehicle is in motion. :angel:
Sounds like the wagon needs some, umm, additional restraints back there. :yikes:

operknockity
09-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Go Kaz GO!:thumbup: :thumbup:

·clyde·
09-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
I am NOT responsible for activities that go on in the back while the vehicle is in motion. :angel:

Well, it is the "Shaggin' Waggin' ain't it?

btw, congrats Kaz.

Dr. Phil
09-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Kudos Kaz :thumbup:

You did a great job for the sake of all of us Sport Wagon owners:)

Raffi
09-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Kaz


Don't worry about it, its so inside that its just... um, inside. :eeps: :eek:

I am NOT responsible for activities that go on in the back while the vehicle is in motion. :angel:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

DougDogs
09-12-2002, 07:24 PM
I just saw this link, then went upstairs to get my issue (arrived today)

WTG Kaz:thumbup:

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Restraints? Like these?

<img src="http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/pimg/sc/rallye4.jpg">

Yeah! :D BEEMER!

Originally posted by IndyMike

Sounds like the wagon needs some, umm, additional restraints back there. :yikes:

Dr. Phil
09-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Restraints? Like these?

<img src="http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/pimg/sc/rallye4.jpg">

Yeah! :D BEEMER!


I hope they aren't thinking along these lines:eeps:
http://www.mynaughtynotions.com/Page_34o.jpg

Mr Paddle.Shift
09-12-2002, 08:59 PM
Er...ok, no need to show us your naughtynotions.com selection, Phil. :eeps:

Originally posted by PM 325xiT

I hope they aren't thinking along these lines:eeps:
http://www.mynaughtynotions.com/Page_34o.jpg http://www.kinkyshop.com/images/restraints_front_170x141blur_web.jpg

Dr. Phil
09-13-2002, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Er...ok, no need to show us your naughtynotions.com selection, Phil. :eeps:


:lmao:

Well I do drive a wagon as well:bigpimp: :angel:

DougDogs
09-13-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

I hope they aren't thinking along these lines:eeps:
http://www.mynaughtynotions.com/Page_34o.jpg http://www.kinkyshop.com/images/restraints_front_170x141blur_web.jpg

I always thought that's what went on over there in Amish country:D :D

Dr. Phil
09-13-2002, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by DougDogs


I always thought that's what went on over there in Amish country:D :D
Sorry I can not share any secrets with an outsider;)

IndyMike
09-13-2002, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT

I hope they aren't thinking along these lines:eeps:
http://www.mynaughtynotions.com/Page_34o.jpg http://www.kinkyshop.com/images/restraints_front_170x141blur_web.jpg
Wow! Are those things in the wagon accessories catologue? :yikes: :D

Usually I just ask the client agent for freebie's like keychains, mugs, shirts, etc. but if junk like that is in there this makes it a brand new ballgame.

With stuff like that I wonder why wagon sales are lagging? :dunno:

Dr. Phil
09-13-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by IndyMike

With stuff like that I wonder why wagon sales are lagging? :dunno:
Made my decision pretty easy:p

JPinTO
09-13-2002, 09:26 AM
What do you recommend?? How about "Tall Sports Wagons"?

GimpyMcFarlan
09-13-2002, 07:14 PM
My friend and I have coined a saying...

"What happens in the back of the BMW, stays in the BMW."

The same saying applies to activities in Las Vegas and Tampa.

Sinners! :bigpimp:

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-13-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by GimpyMcFarlan
My friend and I have coined a saying...

"What happens in the back of the BMW, stays in the BMW."

The same saying applies to activities in Las Vegas and Tampa.

Sinners! :bigpimp:

Actually, I expect that anything that happens in the back seat of the BMW (or, in the rear area with the seats folded down and a sleeping bag...) will be cleaned up thoroughly and reasonably promptly. :D

GimpyMcFarlan
09-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Actually, I expect that anything that happens in the back seat of the BMW (or, in the rear area with the seats folded down and a sleeping bag...) will be cleaned up thoroughly and reasonably promptly. :D

Nick,
All I can say to that is... ewwwww! :yikes: :eeps:

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by GimpyMcFarlan


Nick,
All I can say to that is... ewwwww! :yikes: :eeps:

NOT, mind you, that anything of the sort has yet happened. :D

AF
09-14-2002, 07:27 AM
Thanks to this thread, I just went and checked out Autoweek . . .

pretty cool Kaz :thumbup: :thumbup:

What did the rest of your letter say ?

Is a copy of it in your 'sent' emails . . . maybe you could copy & paste for us . . .