PDA

View Full Version : How to replace 2002 745i foglight bulbs?

sensijames
11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm trying to replace my 2002 745i foglight bulbs but I can't remove the foglights.
Please help. Detail instructions with pictures would be great! Happy Thanksgiving!

BmW745On19's
11-24-2005, 07:36 PM
They aren't bulbs you will have to replace the whole units since they are sealed units unfortunatly.

acmw
11-25-2005, 09:48 PM
So there is no way at all ? i just bought some damn xenon bulbs :cry: :mad:

BmW745On19's
11-26-2005, 08:55 AM
They are halogen epsiloid units as far as I know, thats why they are a whiteish yellowish while they are on.

acmw
11-26-2005, 09:00 AM
is there anyway to replace that halogen bulb?

acmw
12-03-2005, 12:57 PM
yes they can be replaced! just did mine

2006_750Li_ED
12-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Fog lights are meant to be used in FOG, fog is best penetrated by the frequency of yellow/orange light, which is why most street lights are made in that color.
Putting Xenon bright lights would work worse in fog, the car has plenty of Xenon lights which do not work in fog, why add another one?

BmW745On19's
12-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Fog lamps are best used in fog yes but they make the car look so much better on regular nights and tell other drivers that this driver is unique since most people with fog lamps dont turn them on.

dtkw
12-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Well, I had xenon headlight in my other car and during foggy night, they just turned everything infront white like a white wall. Good thing the fog lights could shine thru it. That's why I didn't bother to change the fog to white light. Yeah, they look cooler but safety is more important than look IMO.

2006_750Li_ED
12-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Fog lamps are best used in fog yes but they make the car look so much better on regular nights and tell other drivers that this driver is unique since most people with fog lamps dont turn them on.Fog Lights do not tell anyone anything. a Honda accord has fog lights, they may decorate the car but they serve a purpose that is a safety item and if you drive in the winter in the mountains you are most likely to need them.

acmw
12-03-2005, 10:47 PM
in my opinion i thoguh the yellow hue threw of the colo of the headlights (i dont drive my car in fog anyway)

BmW745On19's
12-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Fog Lights do not tell anyone anything. a Honda accord has fog lights, they may decorate the car but they serve a purpose that is a safety item and if you drive in the winter in the mountains you are most likely to need them.

What I was trying to say is the foglamps on make the car look better IMO. I never drive the car in fog so it really doesn't serve its purpose.

2006_750Li_ED
12-04-2005, 01:33 PM
I never drive the car in fog so it really doesn't serve its purpose.Nobody drives their car in fog on purpose, fog happens and you need to get from point A to point B. I don't care where you live, fog can happen anywhere.
But I understand, I mentioned the yellow light just because perhaps you did not know why fog lights are not bright. Now that you know it makes your decision more informed and perhaps as you well stated for is not something you have encounted in your life.

nexus9
12-09-2005, 05:52 PM
It's actually pretty easy. . I had a couple of PIAA H3s laying around from a previous order mixup so I wanted to take the yellow out. .

There is a single screw to the inside of the car, the other Allen type screw to the outside is to adjust the beam height. The screw is partially obscured by the plastic styling piece that extends horizontally across the face. Reach in with a phillips screwdriver and unscrew it. . sort of difficult because the plastic piece is in the way, and once it's loose the whole assembly just pulls out with a light pop. On the back you just unscrew the cap and then inside is the bulb held in place with a metal clip. You'll see a brown wire (probably the ground) attached to a screw on the cap and a white wire held in place with a spade to the cap, the white wire slides out pretty easy with a tug.

Squeeze the clip and shift it towards the ground wire on the lamp assembly and it will open up while remaining attached on one side. The bulb should then come straight out.

To insert the new bulb, simply fit it back into the hole. There is a round and a squared indention on the metal plate of the bulb to key the proper direction, the round bit goes towards the side of the clip still attached. Then replace the clip by squeezing and slipping the end around the hook.

Insert the white wire back into the connector inside the cap, twist the cap back on and you can then place the assembly back into the housing. It should pop right back into place, and make sure that the horizontal styling piece is back in place. Then replace the screw and you're done!

Although it doesn't really help for fog as much, it certainly looks nice with the color better matching the xenons.

Have fun. .

bigtoe1
01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
does anyone have pictures of How to replace 2002 745i foglight bulbs.

Thanks,

bigtoe1
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
do you have any pictures of How to replace 2002 745i foglight bulbs

sunny_j
01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
does anyone have pictures of How to replace 2002 745i foglight bulbs.

Thanks,

do you have any pictures of How to replace 2002 745i foglight bulbs

how about trying to use the search function. it took me literally 5 seconds to find what your looking for through a search.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312707

dmacd
01-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Fog lights are for FOG!! They may look cool, but they also blind oncoming drivers. They are not driving lights, they are not meant to be decorations, they are for FOG!!!!! People that drive with fog lights on when it is not foggy really piss me off. Most of them are BMW, Pontiac (they buy the "built for drivers" BS) or trucks. People, they don'tmale you look cool, they make you look like a fool. End of Rant.

Joe-BMW
01-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Pet Peeve - riced out cars with fake xenon fog lights. Cheesy.