PDA

View Full Version : Recharge battery in key remote control?

rwsandiego
11-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Just got a new 2006 750Li with the Comfort Access option. My salesman tells me that about once per week, I should actually insert the remote control in the dash during an extended drive to keep the battery charged???

I'm rather skeptical. Has anyone else been told something similar? I'm doubtful that the battery in the remote control can even be recharged, let alone through the dash interface.

SARAFIL
11-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Just got a new 2006 750Li with the Comfort Access option. My salesman tells me that about once per week, I should actually insert the remote control in the dash during an extended drive to keep the battery charged???

I'm rather skeptical. Has anyone else been told something similar? I'm doubtful that the battery in the remote control can even be recharged, let alone through the dash interface.

You are correct in your assumption. If you look at the key fob for cars equipped with Comfort Access, there is a panel on the back that opens up to receive a battery. Unlike the normal cars, cars with Comfort Access have a traditional battery in the key fob and they will not recharge in the ignition.

2006_750Li_ED
11-26-2005, 07:36 PM
The key needs to be charges once every 2-3 months for an extensive ride.

That is what the German person at BMW in Munich told me when the car keys were handed to me at the European Delivery Center.

SARAFIL
11-26-2005, 07:40 PM
The key needs to be charges once every 2-3 months for an extensive ride.

That is what the German person at BMW in Munich told me when the car keys were handed to me at the European Delivery Center.

This is incorrect, at least for US cars... cars with Comfort Access do not have a rechargeable battery, they have normal batteries in the key fobs that can be replaced when they die.

Malibubimmer
11-26-2005, 08:11 PM
While my experience with my manual (for my 650i) leads me to believe the manual isn't very good, I'd think with a question like this you'd look at the manual first (or eventually). I just went to the BMW website and got in to Owner's Circle and then downloaded the 2005 760Li manual (figuring comfort access would be there if it was offered in 2005). Indeed, it is, at page 37. Not only is Comfort Access discussed, but so is the way to make sure the fob continues to work. There is, indeed, a battery that needs to be replaced.

So, unless the 750s have different fobs for Comfort Access (something that would not be economically feasible in my opinion), the battery has to be replaced and charging by inserting the fob was the wrong advice.

But this exercise (it took me only 2 minutes to do this) makes me wonder. Is this Board an excuse for a lot of BMW owners not to bother to read their manuals? :tsk:

rwsandiego
11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
And since the manual and my BMW dealership seemed to be in disagreement on this detail, I thought that I would turn to this board for further discussion.

Malibubimmer
11-26-2005, 08:45 PM
And since the manual and my BMW dealership seemed to be in disagreement on this detail, I thought that I would turn to this board for further discussion.
Good point. I apologize. There are lots of errors in my 650i manual. We have been discussing some "shortcomings" on the 6er board.

2006_750Li_ED
11-28-2005, 06:24 AM
But this exercise (it took me only 2 minutes to do this) makes me wonder. Is this Board an excuse for a lot of BMW owners not to bother to read their manuals? :tsk:I read my manual at least 2 times from cover to cover, however as there are so many subjects covered in it, the only thing that I remembered was to stick the key in the ignition to recharge, however after seeing this post, I re-opened the manual and on page 39 it describes a procedure to replace the battery for keyless access cars. so YES we will need a battery one of these days. I am sure that it is covered under the maintnace program, but I can see this to be a pain if we can not use the key one day.... we would actually have to separate the mechanical key from the remote unit and open the car oh my god, what a nightmare (LOL), it should still work starting the car, since the plastic key, inserted in the container it comes will start the car without having any batteries, I tried that once when I locked my keys in my office and I had to drive somewhere urgently.

jkb
11-28-2005, 11:17 AM
1) the battery inside the key *IS* rechargable. this was the case with early cars without comfort access and is still the case today for cars WITH comfort access. it get recharged when inserted into the dash and used to start the car. why would BMW not have rechargable batter in one set of keys and have it rechargable in the other? do they want to go into business of changing key batteries for people? i doubt it :)

2) the reason for the battery access on comfort access is simple logic: if you dont have comfort access, you HAVE TO insert the key, thus getting it charged (they battery can take many thousands of recharges and has a life of 20+ years). however, if you have comfort access, you can go for years using your key without ever inserting it into the dash and thus never getting it recharged. eventually the battery will drain and you will need a new batter, thus an access to they battery on the back of the key.

3) you can go for months (my guess at least 6, but most likely a year or two) without recharging your battery. i did ED on my 750 in june and got two keys. they second key is still inside the plastic bag and never been inserted into the dash - however, i did use it this weekend to move the car out of the garage because i was too lazy to go to the 2nd floor to get my main key.

rwsandiego
11-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi Yan,

Just curious, do you know what type of electrical interface is used to recharge the battery?

Hmmm... How can I explain my quesiton: The remote control doesn't appear to have any external metal contacts designed specifically for recharging the battery. In fact the only visible metal, appears to be the Open, Trunk open, and Panic buttons on the remote and these appear to be aluminum or some alloy, not usually a good choice for electrical contacts. Now the only other option, I can think of is some type of inductive magnetic field such as is found in my Panasonic razor and my electric toothbrush. Does BMW use this type of inductive field to recharge the battery when inserted in the dash?

chuck92103
11-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Since you have a 7 series with i-drive standard, more than likely you will find that using the regular remote for the car will be better.

The idrive takes 28 seconds to boot. If you use the remote from 30 feet back and unlock the car, the computer will be booted up (starts booting when door is unlocked) and ready to go.

If you use CA, you will be waiting 28 seconds for the computer to boot. Kind of defeats the purpose of CA although I can see where women will like it since they won't have to fumble through their purses. Makes no difference to me since I still need to carry keys for my office and house. :dunno:

Malibubimmer
11-28-2005, 05:21 PM
i did ED on my 750 in june and got two keys.
Yan - Aren't you in for a name change?

jkb
11-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi Yan,

Just curious, do you know what type of electrical interface is used to recharge the battery?

Hmmm... How can I explain my quesiton: The remote control doesn't appear to have any external metal contacts designed specifically for recharging the battery. In fact the only visible metal, appears to be the Open, Trunk open, and Panic buttons on the remote and these appear to be aluminum or some alloy, not usually a good choice for electrical contacts. Now the only other option, I can think of is some type of inductive magnetic field such as is found in my Panasonic razor and my electric toothbrush. Does BMW use this type of inductive field to recharge the battery when inserted in the dash?

i dont know how exactly it gets charged, but it does. i will try to get an answer tomorrow.

jkb
11-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Since you have a 7 series with i-drive standard, more than likely you will find that using the regular remote for the car will be better.

The idrive takes 28 seconds to boot. If you use the remote from 30 feet back and unlock the car, the computer will be booted up (starts booting when door is unlocked) and ready to go.

If you use CA, you will be waiting 28 seconds for the computer to boot. Kind of defeats the purpose of CA although I can see where women will like it since they won't have to fumble through their purses. Makes no difference to me since I still need to carry keys for my office and house. :dunno:

28 seconds? weird. a few seconds for me - definately under 5. nav might take bit longer to init once in a rare while, but that is just due to GPS satellite lock limitations.

jkb
11-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Yan - Aren't you in for a name change?

heh, yeah - but i am too lazy to close one account, open another, make sure all my prefs and settings are correct..

Folks209
10-24-2012, 08:34 PM
How can I recharge my battery? I just got the message "recharge batteries." Batteries heavily discharge..what should I do?